Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:09 am

If what you are saying is correct, any rate on the Ritz website will be allowed to be used in conjunction with the club level upgrade; it is when you try to use an additional rate code (i.e. AAA, ABA, etc.) when the upgrade won't kick in.

According to the limited terms and conditions on the Ritz Carlton Credit Card website, there is no such mention of this.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; United 1K; Hyatt Platinum; Marriott Gold
There's actually a specific rate code (Z38) that needs to be entered to get the club upgrade-eligible rates. It is restricted on the website, so you have to call to find out the rates (which is also mildly annoying). So, in other words, other rates displayed on the website that include things like resort credits or meals, etc, would not be eligible. Only those that pop up when the telephone rep enters the Z38 code are eligible. I got the sense from the rep that those rates are similar to the Z34 rates, except without the $100 credit.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:34 am

Thanks for the information. But, I would assume that the lowest base rate on the website would work with the upgrade code.

I wonder about a stay 2 nights, get the 3rd free type of offer as well?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:56 am

I just spoke to a representative at the number on this page (http://www.requestritzcarltoncard.co...MSC=IQ36562987) and was told the upgrade can apply to any rate/offer.

There is probably some confusion out there among the reps., but I bet this issue will work itself out. Would be curious to know the response you receive from a supervisor if you call and explain the situation...
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:15 am

Yeah, not terribly surprising that the reps responsible for selling the card aren't well informed about the restrictions that come with it. The rep on whom I'm relying was at a specialized phone number that I was told to call to use the Club-Level upgrade, and he, more so than any of the other five reps I've spoken to over the past couple of days in trying to straighten this out, seemed to know exactly what he was talking about (particularly given his knowledge of the particular rate codes to use).

To answer your earlier question, it may be that, generally, the lowest base rate is eligible for the club upgrade, but in my particular instance the lowest base rate was $625, while the lowest upgrade-eligible rate I was quoted was $690. It will be interesting to hear from others about their experiences at other properties as this develops.

It would be even nicer to hear that Ritz Carlton has decided to live up to the benefit that appears to be advertised (and that its sales reps (or Chase's sales reps) appear to be misleading customers about directly).
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by hv05
. The rep on whom I'm relying was at a specialized phone number that I was told to call to use the Club-Level upgrade, and he, more so than any of the other five reps I've spoken to over the past couple of days in trying to straighten this out, seemed to know exactly what he was talking about (particularly given his knowledge of the particular rate codes to use).

To answer your earlier question, it may be that, generally, the lowest base rate is eligible for the club upgrade, but in my particular instance the lowest base rate was $625, while the lowest upgrade-eligible rate I was quoted was $690. It will be interesting to hear from others about their experiences at other properties as this develops.
Are you saying that you cannot use your e-upgrade certificate that came with the card at the particular hotel you are interested in? Here is the small print about that club upgrade benefit:

"Upgrade to The Ritz-Carlton Club Level:

Club Level offer valid at participating hotels on up to three paid stays per Account Year using The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card with a seven night maximum length of stay, subject to availability at time of reservation. ("Account Year" means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement after the anniversary of your account open date, and each twelve billing cycles thereafter.) Certificate is non-transferable, and not combinable with other offers and consecutive reservations within a hotel are not valid. Chase Bank USA, N.A. is not responsible for offer fulfillment or the provision of or a failure to provide the stated benefits and services."

Basically, Chase is not responsible for the anything.....
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:05 pm

I'm familiar with the fine print regarding this offer, and my gripe isn't about the inability to use the benefit in a particular instance at a particular hotel. I'm simply using that particular instance as an example of Ritz Carlton's apparent general policy that the upgrade cannot be used with every available rate (as swf83 was apparently told), but rather only with certain rates that they deem eligible for the upgrade offer--information that I thought might be helpful to others on this board in weighing the comparative value of this card vs. others.

Despite the disclaimer regarding Chase's lack of responsibility for fulfillment of the stated benefits, that would not excuse their use of misrepresentations about the stated benefits (as swf83 reported) in order to induce customers to obtain the card. While the representative to whom he spoke may simply have been ill-informed, I don't think it's too much to ask that a company like Chase train its employees to answer questions about the card's benefits accurately.

In any event, regardless of the T&Cs of the offer, the larger point is that if Ritz Carlton and Chase are interested in luring away customers from Amex Platinum and diverting loyatly from other hotel programs, they'd be well served to loosen up the club upgrade policy so that it is in line with other programs like Hyatt that allow you to use upgrades on any available rate.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:24 pm

Any other first impressions of the cards/benefits after receiving it? I look forward to receiving mine in the coming days.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:44 pm

I'm familiar with the fine print regarding this offer, and my gripe isn't about the inability to use the benefit in a particular instance at a particular hotel. I'm simply using that particular instance as an example
The only reason I pointed to the fine print, is to better understand this benefit, and would appreciate if you can confirm that from your empirical experience you are saying that you are unable to use the upgrade. Do you have the card?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
The only reason I pointed to the fine print, is to better understand this benefit, and would appreciate if you can confirm that from your empirical experience you are saying that you are unable to use the upgrade. Do you have the card?

Yes, I have the card, and I'm finding that in many instances (using the Ritz Carlton Central Park as an example) I can find a lower rate for the club level by using my ABA or AAA code than I could by paying the rate that is eligible for the club upgrade certificate. So, in other words, I could get a better deal without the card than I could using the certificate that comes with the card.

To be fair, though, I did find one instance (the Ritz Carlton Pentagon City) where using the upgrade certificate would save me $180 per night off of what I would otherwise pay for a club level room.

So in some instances it works well, while in most others it does not. My advice would be that if you appropriately have access to other discount codes like ABA or AAA or other corporate discounts that normally give you a significant discount off the standard rate (i.e. the rate that might be eligible for the upgrade), then the upgrade benefit is unlikely to have much value to you.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:30 am

If any of you remember the Ritz Carlton upgrade benefit that use to be offered on Visa Signature cards when they first came out (about 10+ years ago, if I remember correctly), this benefit works the same way. With the old Visa Signature benefit, it use to be that you would enter the corporate code VSP and you would get an upgrade to the Club Level by paying the lowest standard rate for a regular room. It was often the case, though, that you could get a better deal either by using a code like AAA or through other packages or promotions offered by the Ritz that weren't eligible for the upgrade offer.

Interestingly, if I remember correctly, that old Visa Signature benefit could be used an unlimited number of times, and the cards that offered it carried fairly low annual fees in the $60 range. Given that the new Ritz Carlton card pitches it as a 3x per year benefit, and attached it to a card with a $395 annual fee that is specifically co-branded with Ritz Carlton, I expected that the benefit would be a bit more generous.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:30 am

Ritz Carlton is rather a small chain of hotels. If they restrict which rates and hotels are "participating" further for the club upgrade or any other benefits of this credit card, then this credit card is pretty much useless. Will not be applying for it at this time, maybe in 2012 when status will be of interest.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Just wanted to report some very disappointing news about the way the Club Level Upgrade and $100 Credit "benefits" of the card work. First off, there is a huge level of confusion among the telephone reps as to how these benefits work, with one supervisor telling me that I couldn't use the Club Level upgrade unless I stayed a full 7 nights, which clearly is incorrect. Second, and most disappointing, is the fact that both the upgrade benefit and the $100 credit benefit can only be used on "standard" rates, which often means that the benefit is worthless.
In that case, I'm not touching this card.
It sounds like way too many undisclosed restrictions on the benefits. I've got Lifetime Plat in the bag; perhaps I need to look at the Amex Platinum card and forget about the Ritz card. I don't mind making the shift back to Starwood; I've always liked the Westin, Regis, and their European boutique hotels. Plus they're much more generous on upgrades.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I don't mind making the shift back to Starwood; I've always liked the Westin, Regis, and their European boutique hotels. Plus they're much more generous on upgrades.
I tend to agree with you, but my big issue with Starwood is their lack of lounges in the majority of their properties. Where most every FS Marriott (and even RCs) have lounges, outside of Sheratons, most FS Starwood hotels don't have lounges. And while St. Regis hotels can be nice, don't expect to find a club lounge whether you are willing to pay for it or want an upgrade.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:57 pm

Got my card today, and I must say that the presentation is top class. What a nice welcome package and it is truly the most unique feeling credit card I have ever felt. It is heavy, made of some type of metal/titanium I assume.

I hope the card and it's benefits live up to it's presentation.

Last edited by swf83; Jun 28, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.