Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:28 pm

I just called the dedicated number to make reservations with the club level upgrade, got quotes for 3 different Ritz locations, and was given the standard rate on the website. This is the way it should be.

However, you cannot use the club level upgrade on packages, for example. This, to me, is a shortcoming and one I hope gets resolved over the next few year.

However, the level of service I received on the phone was second to none--already a better experience than I have ever had with AMEX Platinum concierge or AMEX travel.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:01 am

I'm curious if anyone has yet used the Concierge service on this card yet? Especially if that person has also used the Amex plat or cent. Concierge before for comparison.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:26 am

I just called the concierge with ticket requests for multiple shows and she wanted to do thorough research to find me the best prices and then email me her findings. From my conversation with her, I could tell they know what they are doing and she was certainly more polite than some of the representatives I have encountered with the AMEX Platinum concierge.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: amex plat, spg gold, american plat
The upgrades

Seems there is a lot of confusion around this card. I keep tabs on a few of the boards here, and I would highly suggest RC hire a website, blog, virtual concierge quickly! I agree with a few posters here that when we call the 800# and get a human, while they are quite nice and courteous, they are not decision makers. For an organization that wrote the rule book on service and efficiency, the customers are demanding more clarity (answers) or loyalties will flock back to the other chains (*wood,hyatt, etc.). I for one have a few reservations coming up and also want to know if they honor corporate rates with the club level and $100 credit (I would gladly use it at there 3rd party gyms and bar . I also dont feel clear on using these benefits at same hotel back to back. If one is a loyal traveler to certain cities more often, can they not use this benefit back to back? So as I have seen here, I suggest a virtual manager (emplyee) to track your "smart travelers"
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:54 pm

Received the card today. Too bad photos can"t be easily attached to a post as I have some killer unboxing pics.

As previous poster indicated, the packaging is super-luxe and much better than that for Amex Platinum. Card is high quality, thick plastic although not as thick as Chase Sapphire Preferred. One downside: I wish they had put the card number on the back like Chase Sapphire Preferred. The card effect would have been much cooler with the black and silver motif without the number.

Car rental insurance is primary like Continental.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cardtracker
Received the card today. Too bad photos can"t be easily attached to a post as I have some killer unboxing pics.

As previous poster indicated, the packaging is super-luxe and much better than that for Amex Platinum. Card is high quality, thick plastic although not as thick as Chase Sapphire Preferred. One downside: I wish they had put the card number on the back like Chase Sapphire Preferred. The card effect would have been much cooler with the black and silver motif without the number.

Car rental insurance is primary like Continental.
and Diners Club, I assume?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone received a definite answer to the question "can you receive an upgrade on the AAA rate or is it only for the Standard rate"?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: amex plat, spg gold, american plat
Originally Posted by bryanport
Has anyone received a definite answer to the question "can you receive an upgrade on the AAA rate or is it only for the Standard rate"?
I spent some time speaking to the Ritz management, and no other rates work (not AAA not ABA not your corporate).....essentially the upgrades to club and the $100.00 hotel credit are worthless unless you enjoy paying big boat prices.

And PS don't talk to any of the JP Morgan reps - they know nothing

Last edited by investn; Jul 13, 2011 at 6:09 pm Reason: Forgot a thought
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Globalist
If this is the case IMO the card is not worth the fee. I guess I will stick with my AMEX Platinum Card. I hope they review this decision and reconsider their position on this. Why get the card if you have to pay standard rates? Someone please correct me if I am missing something here.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by investn
I spent some time speaking to the Ritz management, and no other rates work (not AAA not ABA not your corporate).....essentially the upgrades to club and the $100.00 hotel credit are worthless unless you enjoy paying big boat prices.

Thanks. It seems that Ritz Carlton wants to have the cake and eat it too. They should not have started the rewards program if they cannot market the card due to the inherent inability to provide perks and rewards associated with it.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bryanport
If this is the case IMO the card is not worth the fee. I guess I will stick with my AMEX Platinum Card. I hope they review this decision and reconsider their position on this. Why get the card if you have to pay standard rates? Someone please correct me if I am missing something here.
In my case, the 50,000 points bump me up to an extra two nights free stay at the RC I'm looking to stay at, and bumps me up to Elite Gold status as well. So for me, that alone makes the card well worth the fee (and I'll probably end up using the $200 airport reimbursement as well...)

I'm hoping that the feedback they receive in the next year will be enough to convince them to loosen up the restrictions on the other benefits, and convince me to renew the card for another year.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
for me, that alone makes the card well worth the fee
Yes, considering the small print NOT in Chase T&C, for 400$ you get Marriott Gold status (attractive for occasional guests as it gives you free internet and access to a lounge at Marriott hotels), and 50 000 points as well as 200$ airline fee reimbursements and lounge membership (not so interesting for those frequent flyers among us). Forgetting about the signup bonus in points for a minute (Chase has a plethora of cards with similar or better signup bonuses), I would venture to suggest that $400 is probably more than an occasional guest with Marriott would pay for their internet and breakfast while staying with them in any given year. Clearly, not a card for everybody.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by hailstorm
In my case, the 50,000 points bump me up to an extra two nights free stay at the RC I'm looking to stay at, and bumps me up to Elite Gold status as well. So for me, that alone makes the card well worth the fee (and I'll probably end up using the $200 airport reimbursement as well...)

I'm hoping that the feedback they receive in the next year will be enough to convince them to loosen up the restrictions on the other benefits, and convince me to renew the card for another year.
How are those points accounted for if you stay with MR? Are they now Marriott points? I assume so.

I noticed that RC doesn't offer PointSaver options on their program. The point cost/night for RC is identical to MR's regular cost. So staying with MR seems like the best plan, even with the RC credit card. RC's got a LOT to learn about how to manage their program, although I'm hoping that the two will eventually meld into one larger MR program.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by investn

How does one go about getting a much better rate? I tried booking with a AAA rate and it only dropped the price around $90 on a $945/night standard room. And it didn't have an option for club lounge access.

I have noticed several comments in this thread from people that decided to stick with their Amex Platinum card. I have one but must be greatly under utilizing it because I don't see any distinct advantages, especially for someone that stays at Marriott properties a lot.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but after reading some of these threads, I don't think I am coming anywhere close to fully benefitting from the card perks and I need to learn more
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:41 pm

I have spoken with execs within the Ritz Carlton company expressing my concerns. First and foremost, my frustration started when the rate for a club level upgrade room was quoted as more than what the general public would be quoted. Needless to say, I contacted a few execs within the company; turns out the rates were loaded incorrectly. Now I am quoted the lowest rate shown on the website as eligible for the club level upgrade- this is how it should be and it is a valuable benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.