Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how many shomer shabbat FTers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by TomJay
New on FT - but there must be at least a dozen frum commuters on my street in RBS IL, who probably are not aware of this forum...

Well travelled in HK/China & Aus, if anyone needs some 'yidishe info'..
Ramat Bet Shemesh (I assume?)... which is quite a haredi neighbourhood, as far as I've read, though I've never been there.

Barukh haBa (welcome, for those who don't speak the lingo...)

Last edited by salut0; Mar 5, 2008 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 7, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: BA, Cathay, SAA, Qantas, LY
Thanks Salut!
are there any chats on this site for the sh. shbs to chat?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Hi Guys,
Only just seen this thread.
Count me in...
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
Hi Guys,
Only just seen this thread.
Count me in...
Me too!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Shabbos away

Best - Camps Bay, Cape Town

Worst - Lagos, Nigeria
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1k
Spent Shabbos in Almaty Kazakhstan (there is a Chabad there--of course)
they have a Large Gun safe for thier Torah (fireproof and too heavy to carry away). They spoke Russian and luckily someone translated--they had many questions. They asked how many Torahs we had in "California". It was very hard to make them understand that our shul alone had 6--they laughed and thought I was lying. Very welcoming people--very inviting. I had shown up without even a Kippot and the Rabbi immediately gave me his from his head and put his hat on. I tried to give it back to him after the day was done, and he just smiled and refused. To this day it is my most cherished Kippot.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by globe_spinner
Spent Shabbos in Almaty Kazakhstan (there is a Chabad there--of course)
they have a Large Gun safe for thier Torah (fireproof and too heavy to carry away). They spoke Russian and luckily someone translated--they had many questions. They asked how many Torahs we had in "California". It was very hard to make them understand that our shul alone had 6--they laughed and thought I was lying. Very welcoming people--very inviting. I had shown up without even a Kippot and the Rabbi immediately gave me his from his head and put his hat on. I tried to give it back to him after the day was done, and he just smiled and refused. To this day it is my most cherished Kippot.
^
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:54 am
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Best / worst shabbos

Originally Posted by arir
Best - Camps Bay, Cape Town

Worst - Lagos, Nigeria

Excluding home, which is always the best, apart from Yerusholayim:

Best: (1) Singapore. (2) Hawaii. Walking on the beach in Kauai just before Motzoei Shabbos in our Shabbos best, debating whether we're the only people in the world still keeping Shabbos 'cos everyone is probably further east thean we are. Then we see a couple walking towards us. She's wearing a quite frummy Shabbos housecoast and he's wearing suit trousers and a white shirt. And as we pass, she says to him "I told you you should have worn a proper Shabbos jacket".

Worst: In a pub in Ashford, Kent in the middle of summer. Stayed there to attend a wedding reception at the Officers Mess in the Royal Army Intelligence Corps. Walked all the way to the Church and stood outside then schlepped all the way to the Reception and had a glass of water, then back to the hotel for another 10 hours of keeping myself occupied. Oh, and I made a mistake with the time switch in my room so the lights were on all night.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:29 pm

Can't believe I never saw this thread! I'm in as well!!!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Best Shabbat

In keeping with FF's post above, my wife and I were in Kona one summer Saturday 5 years ago. I don't recall the name of the shul.
Congregants met once a month at a local hotel for an outside service.

There were about 30 people in attendance. Half were locals, and the other half were from places throughout the US. This group wasn't shomer shabbas, because everyone drove to shul.

There's nothing like davening outside, on a sunny Hawaiian morning.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Benjh
Can't believe I never saw this thread! I'm in as well!!!
Me too!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:18 pm

Count me in the club, but not into minyan (though gladly stay in ezrat nashim).

Most exotic shabbat?

Curacao: 30min walk from the resort hotel to the synagogue under 38C weather, reform synagogue service with an American-Israeli rabbi, though the Prayer for Dutch royal family still intact in Portuguese!

Evening megillah reading in Hong Kong, took a red-eye to London, went to my regular shul for the morning reading and seuda.

Bangor Maine: stuck in a motel over shabbat due to my flight diverted ruing a snowstorm

S'pore: the best cholent served at the kiddush (never mind it's 35C and 80% humidity outside!) bumping into someone I went to high school with I haven't kept in contact for the last 20yrs.

Seoul Korea: not having any luck trying to locate a synagogue. Repeated attempt of slowly repeating "synagogue", "jewish church", "jews", drawing magen david elicited no response from my hotel concierge!

Gibraltar: the whole community seems to be taking a strol erev shabbat. Room 613 of the hotel we stayed had a proper key as opposed to magnetic room keys. Must be the only M&S in the whole world where they have kosher section.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by W9London
Seoul Korea: not having any luck trying to locate a synagogue. Repeated attempt of slowly repeating "synagogue", "jewish church", "jews", drawing magen david elicited no response from my hotel concierge!
You drew during shabbos???
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:11 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Count me in the club, but not into minyan (though gladly stay in ezrat nashim).

Most exotic shabbat?

Curacao: 30min walk from the resort hotel to the synagogue under 38C weather, reform synagogue service with an American-Israeli rabbi, though the Prayer for Dutch royal family still intact in Portuguese!

Evening megillah reading in Hong Kong, took a red-eye to London, went to my regular shul for the morning reading and seuda.

Bangor Maine: stuck in a motel over shabbat due to my flight diverted ruing a snowstorm

S'pore: the best cholent served at the kiddush (never mind it's 35C and 80% humidity outside!) bumping into someone I went to high school with I haven't kept in contact for the last 20yrs.

Gibraltar: the whole community seems to be taking a strol erev shabbat. Room 613 of the hotel we stayed had a proper key as opposed to magnetic room keys. Must be the only M&S in the whole world where they have kosher section.
We've stayed in Room 613 at the Elliot as well! In Washington, DC, the Park Hyatt kept one room back for me with a regular lock. Pretty impressive, I thought.... And, welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Last edited by FF; Apr 7, 2008 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Room 613
Nice to see that someone 'gets it'.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.