Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how many shomer shabbat FTers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by haniboo
lots of places in Israel that could work. also NYC and Philly.
I left NYC off as its usually very expensive, and very long walks to shuls

as for PHL, there are really 2 areas The NE where if I remember its not the greatest neighborhood and limited Hotels in walking distance. The Main area is Marion and again a long walk from the Hilton to the Shuls. I guess Society Hill area can be counted its in the Historic District with The Mekvah Israel Temple, dont know if its Shomer Shabbos

Im sure they are a few other communities as well Skokie but again a very long walk to the nearest Shul friom the DoubleTree or Comfort Inn

no doubt most of Israel can work, but I doubt you ever find a period of time when most can get away. If its in the US alot easier to fly in on Fri and out Sun night lets say.Thats why I tried to think of places where food is available and its a very close walk to a shul. Brookline,Mass is another place

Of cause depending on when it would be, would be the deciding factor in saying if 1 place is workable, as most places are in Cold temp areas and even a short walk is a major problem when its freezing out, others like MIA too hot in late Spring onwards.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:22 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Next Jew-Do in London - 30 January

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I am as well.

Shomer Shabbos DO anyone?

We had a Jew-Do in London last year (only three of us, though) and I'm planning another one for 30 January. Probably at Novellino in Golders Green. Anyone interested? Post or PM will do.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FF
We had a Jew-Do in London last year (only three of us, though) and I'm planning another one for 30 January. Probably at Novellino in Golders Green. Anyone interested? Post or PM will do.
Sorry would Love to, but will be MRing around the States, besides the taxes and fees on a tkt are probably more then the base fare itself,LoL

where is Novellino? I never heard of it. Some really nice places in Hendon, GG needs to get its act together, I know Hendon is just up the road. Maybe now with Lev moving to Hampstead that area will start in as well. Surprised he didnt buy the Heath for his private backyard
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
I prefer the term Zachor instead of Shomer.

I try not to earn miles Fri sunset-Sat. sunset!!!!!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:51 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by craz
Sorry would Love to, but will be MRing around the States, besides the taxes and fees on a tkt are probably more then the base fare itself,LoL

where is Novellino? I never heard of it. Some really nice places in Hendon, GG needs to get its act together, I know Hendon is just up the road. Maybe now with Lev moving to Hampstead that area will start in as well. Surprised he didnt buy the Heath for his private backyard
It's on Golders Green Road / corner of Armitage Road (just near the Northern Line tube bridge, so on the same strip as many of the other kosher places.

Hendon now has 86 / Cafe Orli / Kyoto / White House / Pizaza / Isola Bella / Lemonade / La Dorada - all within 200 metres of each other on Brent Street. Plus Sami's.

Golders Green Road has Armando, then Blooms / Metsuyan / Novellino / Solly's (soon to be reopened) / MyAmi Burger / Dizengoff / Entrecote Bar / Golden Brown (bakery / snacks) / ChopStix - also all within about 200 metres of each other.

Apologies if I've forgotten any!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=craz;9045209]I left NYC off as its usually very expensive, and very long walks to shuls

as for PHL, there are really 2 areas The NE where if I remember its not the greatest neighborhood and limited Hotels in walking distance. The Main area is Marion and again a long walk from the Hilton to the Shuls. I guess Society Hill area can be counted its in the Historic District with The Mekvah Israel Temple, dont know if its Shomer Shabbos

/QUOTE]

fyi, in society hill there are some other frum shuls, too, (bnei abraham and the vilna shul) and enough hotels, too. plus walkable to the liberty bell.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I would fly to LA for a "Jew-DO."

-There are dozens of great kosher restaurants. (Tierra Sur in the Herzog winery in Oxnard is probably the most excellent kosher restaurant on the planet! Plus Costco in CA sells $100 Tierra Sur gift cards for just $80 and you get free wine tasting for 2 with each gift card purchase!)

-Great MR opportunities.

-Plenty of affordable accommodations + cheap car rentals.

-Myriads of shul options.

What else do you need!

Last edited by ctownflyer; Jan 11, 2008 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:30 am
Suspended

I would fly to LA for a Jew-DO.

-There are dozens of great kosher restaurants. (Tierra Sur in the Herzog winery in Oxnard is probably the most excellent kosher restaurant on the planet!)

-Great MR opportunities.

What else do you need!
its not LA but Santa Barbara has a YI thats about 1 mile from the Feez Parker DoubleTree.

Never at either and dont know what the food sit is

But Pico has a Residence Inn and a Crowne Plaza across the street from 1 another with shulS too many to count within a 2-10 min walk in all directions. Those wanting more upscale (yea right) theres a Lowes and for those who wouldnt mind a nice hike plenty more on Ave Of The Stars
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat

I was actually planning on being in London the shabbat before. We were going to stay at the croft court hotel (kosher and within walkign of shuls.) I will be in Jerusalem the shabbat of 2/10 if anyone wants to DO something.

NYC is expensive but if you are in manhatten there are always shuls nearby.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:52 am
FF

Originally Posted by TLVorbust
I was actually planning on being in London the shabbat before. We were going to stay at the croft court hotel (kosher and within walkign of shuls.) I will be in Jerusalem the shabbat of 2/10 if anyone wants to DO something.

You have a PM...
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:06 am
FF

I would fly to LA for a "Jew-DO."

-There are dozens of great kosher restaurants. (Tierra Sur in the Herzog winery in Oxnard is probably the most excellent kosher restaurant on the planet! Plus Costco in CA sells $100 Tierra Sur gift cards for just $80 and you get free wine tasting for 2 with each gift card purchase!)

-Great MR opportunities.

What else do you need!

I went to Prime Grill here in LA last night. I'd seen some quite negative reviews, and I'm the first to criticise (when it's required), but I was very impressed. A perfect Black Angus steak, medium rare, with yummy garlic mash and spinach. The only problem is that in a couple of days I'll be hungry again....

Last edited by FF; Feb 9, 2011 at 3:10 am
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FF
I went to Prime Grill here in LA last night. I'd seen some quite negative reviews, and I'm the first to criticise (when it's required), but I was very impreesed. A perfect Black Angus steak, medium rare, with yummy garlic mash and spinach. The only problem is that in a couple of days I'll be hungry again....

when I was in LA end of Nov, the talk was that PG was gonna be closing up, these guys said how it cost them between $600-800 for the meal and didnt think it was so good as to get them back in there. Rent like 25k a month was the talk. Talk I say cause no one could confirm anything 100%.

The PG in Aventura,Fl bit the dust and the place reopened as The Grill and that too bit the dust.

The PG in NYC is doing great every time Ive been in there at least 1/2 the place are Non-Jews, and its rare almost any time of the day to pass by and see it empty. That wasnt the case in Aventura, and from what I hear LA isnt not much better then Aventura.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TLVorbust

The CC is a nice place, I usually stay when in GG at The GG Hotel aka Nissims, its a dump but alot less then the CC, breakfast included.

there is suppose to be a place that are Suites at the end of GG Rd right by the roadway that divides GG from Hendon, I think its the A4 but not sure. Its a good walk to the Underground. I prefer the CC or GGH for being so centralized located
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
I am joining a little late, but count me in. If anything is happening in Los Angeles, I'd be there.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:04 pm
FF

Originally Posted by craz
The CC is a nice place, I usually stay when in GG at The GG Hotel aka Nissims, its a dump but alot less then the CC, breakfast included.

there is suppose to be a place that are Suites at the end of GG Rd right by the roadway that divides GG from Hendon, I think its the A4 but not sure. Its a good walk to the Underground. I prefer the CC or GGH for being so centralized located
Yamor Suites. I've heard positive reports from people who've stayed there. About 15-20 mins walk from Golders Green tube station, but 5-10 mins from Brent Cross station (one past GG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.