Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how many shomer shabbat FTers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by beaubo
Ubud, Indonesia
Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Siem Reap
Bangkok
Koh Samui
Chiang Mai
Shanghai
New Delhi
Aleppi (Kerala, India)
Kataragama (Sri Lanka)
Wellington NZ
Saigon
Lihue
Prague
Fez
Marakkesh
Zanzibar
Mombasa, Kenya
Ixtapa
Puerta Vallarta
Aitutaki/Raratonga (Cook Islands)
Berlin
Paris
Maldives
Rio (this Shabbat!)

......been blessed with alot of miles!!!!!!
Sweet list-Are you sure you never made in onto TAR?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FF
Kauai (ctownflyer - it's the rainiest place on earth - but they don't tell you that before you get there!). We went for a walk on the beach, all dressed up for Shabbos, very late in the afternoon and were debating whether we were the only people in the world still keeping Shabbos at that moment, and we saw another couple walking towards up - he with a white shirt. As we get closer, his wife is saying to him "I *told* you, you should have worn a jacket on Shabbos!".
Lol!

I'm going to be in Maui this coming Sun-Thurs and then Kauai for Thurs-Tues.
We're staying in Poipu, where supposedly it doesn't rain too often-we'll see...
Even if it does, one thing is for sure-it will beat CLE hands down!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Thumper (OK, so it really was Macabee, I anglecized it) HaLevi is a member of this elite crew.

Golders Green, if you don't wantto stay in one of the local smaller places is an easy walk from the Holiday Inn by the Mall.

In October, in sucession, I did shabbos in GG, then Shhabos in Cardiff (great B&B, they even had a belt for the key, no eruv), shabbos in Geneva at the Chabad, again great hotel across the street then shabbos in Lyon.
Took a bit of time on the internet, but very easy and very enjoyable.
Had invitations for every meal, and made a point of every Sunday at Minyon leaving money to host the following weeks kiddush.

My shabbos in Geneva was soooo cool. At the table there was no one language so it was Hebrew, French, English, German, we felt very sophisticated.

BTW, did shabbos in Edmonton in July a few years back - Friday night 11:55 PM to 1AM Sunday, never gonna do that again. Besides - the Rabbi was Mets fan from LI.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by lskohn
Thank you for the helpful links!
Most unusual shabbos for me -- somewhere in the middle of Quetico Provincial Park, ONT, CA, with the aurora borealis to light the evening
I'm glad someone already found some places. I'm not sure that Berlin is the best place for a Jew to compromise in anything Jewish

Reg. most unusual places, I think I've some stuff that not many people here had. I became frum in Russia in the 80th, learned in only yeshiva (underground) in the communist times and traveled a lot to organize shabatons in cities, where sometimes were no frum Jews or sometimes just 1 family or even 1 person. Most remarkable (hard to count) - davening shacharis on Shabos next to someone who played piano (stayed in not frum family in Nikolaev - birthplace of Lubavitcher Rebbe), staying in hostel in Saratov on shabos with a gentile who never turned off TV from 8 am to 6 pm (I could not insist - it was first shabos after attempted coup in Moscow and they showed funeral of 3 people who were killed, one happened to be Jewish and a KGB rabbi made a funeral on shabos), having orange for karpas in Donetsk (difficult times and no pri aadama available, I paid a small fortune for this only orange . Seider in Novosibirsk, Siberia with 30 people (smallest seider in my frum life), but only men were Jewish. ALL their wifes were not - such assimilation. Shabos in Bobruisk with only matzos and apples and much more. Thank G-d I've never got stuck somewhere on the train before shabos and had to spent it on the small railroad station like some other people
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:14 pm

Outside Continental US, off the top of my head...

Tokyo
Kobe
Singapore
Shanghai
Beijing
Hong Kong (just now)
Bangkok
Koh Samui
Chiang Mai
Bahamas
Grand Cayman
St. Thomas
Curacao
Kawaii
Maui
Los Cabos
Cozumel
Queenstown, NZ
Dublin
Paris
London
Madrid
Hamburg
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: UA, DL
Count me in. A DO sounds like fun.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold, DL, CO, ATR
Count me in! i'll do a DO either in NYC or Miami
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
On the exotic shabbat list,

I have been to quite a few areas outside of the US. but in regards to exotic I will say:

Reykjavík Iceland - Shabbat started at 10:45 and ended after midnight.

and Nadi Fiji from which I have just returned a few hours ago.......Shabbat in Paradise.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
exotic shabbosim

I have spent shabbos in Hamilton, Cambridge and Taupo NZ.
Chelyabinsk and Syktvkar, Russia

Pretty boring compared to some of your lists
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by haniboo
we're not quite a minyan, cuz i don't count.
Well, SOME of us feel that you can be shomer shabbat AND egalitarian all at once...of course, as part of my egalitarianism, I'm sure that will bother non-egal women and men equally!

The "Shabbat in" list for me includes
- Warsaw, Poland
- various Hawaiian islands
- Sao Paolo
- Venice, Italy
- will add 2 cities in Spain this summer, too!

Last edited by CO FF; Jan 23, 2008 at 6:39 pm Reason: to add the shabbat list
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
FT LA Shabbaton DO, anyone?

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Shomer Shabbos DO anyone?
Originally Posted by craz
Places that fit the bill Pico-Robertson in LA
If other FT'ers are interested in putting something together in LA - maybe early March? - please PM me.

Originally Posted by FF
I went to Prime Grill here in LA last night. I'd seen some quite negative reviews, and I'm the first to criticise (when it's required), but I was very impreesed. A perfect Black Angus steak, medium rare, with yummy garlic mash and spinach. The only problem is that in a couple of days I'll be hungry again....
Agreed - the food has always been tops.

Originally Posted by craz
when I was in LA end of Nov, the talk was that PG was gonna be closing up, these guys said how it cost them between $600-800 for the meal and didnt think it was so good as to get them back in there. Rent like 25k a month was the talk. Talk I say cause no one could confirm anything 100%.

The PG in Aventura,Fl bit the dust and the place reopened as The Grill and that too bit the dust.

The PG in NYC is doing great every time Ive been in there at least 1/2 the place are Non-Jews, and its rare almost any time of the day to pass by and see it empty. That wasnt the case in Aventura, and from what I hear LA isnt not much better then Aventura.
Most "non-Jews" @ TPG-NY are there on business meals, or are non-kippah wearers (like me!) who won't stand out...

TPG-Aventura was a franchise; they just paid for the name, and decided it was too expensive. NY & FL were fighting over quality control, b/c NY was far better...in the end, the costs killed them and they tried to go independent and failed.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
TPG in LA is indeed a very nice place, much better ambiance than the NY version.

That being said, I have heard from reliable sources that they will not be around for much longer.

They have an incredible deal right now-50% off if you eat between 5-7pm at the bar. Unfortunately, the deal isn't good on daily specials, such as the Delmonico steak only served on Tuesdays.

They also currently have a 3 course prix fixe lunch deal for $12.

Still TPG doesn't come close to Tierra Sur, but it's definitely in a better location...
Rumors of TPG-LA's demise are premature. They denied them in a Jewish Journal article on 1/18, also. But I'm sure that they're hurting, because both entertainment & real estate are suffering now, and those are the 2 biggest business in LA.

But, there are 2 great newcomers on Pico -- Shiloh (about a year old), a French steakhouse theme (think LeMarais, but fancier space), and Mamash (opened last month) - Asian theme; VERY good food, service seems to be ok assuming they're still working the bugs out.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Count me in!!

Shabbat in list: (Furthest / Strangest)

Bora-Bora...(oy vey...miles from anywhere)
LHR Sheraton...(Needed to get to Israel on Motzie Shabbos on an LY flight that depart 25mins after shabbos goes out...got to the plane as they were closing the door).
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA, Cathay, SAA, Qantas, LY
Originally Posted by haniboo
how many shomer shabbat FTers are there? i am not taking a poll and mean no offense, just curious.
Me too.

New on FT - but there must be at least a dozen frum commuters on my street in RBS IL, who probably are not aware of this forum...

Well travelled in HK/China & Aus, if anyone needs some 'yidishe info'..
Old Mar 5, 2008, 2:13 pm

Shabbos in Dubai

I may be stuck there: anyone tried the shtiebles there?

Care to join us: 3/22?

I never compromise on my kipa so the UAEs will have to live with that: In prof circles it is respected, on the street you gotta watch your back.

Anyone come accross anyone / anything Jewish in Dubai? (I read the splurb about OU food at supermrkts).

Sure the general feel is anti Israel, but they are relaxing the rules on having a IL stamp etc...
(Thanks to all the FTers who updated us on the Dubai-IL Stamp thing.^)

Any updates will be appreciated..
Thanks,
TJ
Old Mar 5, 2008, 2:21 pm

Shabbat - furthest/ strangest:
-Tokyo: challenges: disconnecting the hotel auto toilet seat heater/wash/flush etc system.
Fri nite meal at chabad with a Jap martial arts heiress in kimono and all (her son took interest in judaism..)
-Istanbul: Main orth shul in city- quite an experience...
-10 maybe 14 shabosses around China, each an essay in its own right..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.