Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how many shomer shabbat FTers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:08 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by craz
when I was in LA end of Nov, the talk was that PG was gonna be closing up, these guys said how it cost them between $600-800 for the meal and didnt think it was so good as to get them back in there. Rent like 25k a month was the talk. Talk I say cause no one could confirm anything 100%.

The PG in Aventura,Fl bit the dust and the place reopened as The Grill and that too bit the dust.

The PG in NYC is doing great every time Ive been in there at least 1/2 the place are Non-Jews, and its rare almost any time of the day to pass by and see it empty. That wasnt the case in Aventura, and from what I hear LA isnt not much better then Aventura.
Well $600-800 is either good or bad, depending on how many people were there. Our bill for three last night was about $200, I think (I didn't pay) but we didn't have wine. There was a set menu at $39.95 which looked good and one of us had that. I think my special was about $55.

My cousins are completely non-frum and rate it quite highly and last night it was pretty packed.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FF
I went to Prime Grill here in LA last night. I'd seen some quite negative reviews, and I'm the first to criticise (when it's required), but I was very impreesed. A perfect Black Angus steak, medium rare, with yummy garlic mash and spinach. The only problem is that in a couple of days I'll be hungry again....
TPG in LA is indeed a very nice place, much better ambiance than the NY version.

That being said, I have heard from reliable sources that they will not be around for much longer.

They have an incredible deal right now-50% off if you eat between 5-7pm at the bar. Unfortunately, the deal isn't good on daily specials, such as the Delmonico steak only served on Tuesdays.

They also currently have a 3 course prix fixe lunch deal for $12.

Still TPG doesn't come close to Tierra Sur, but it's definitely in a better location...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:17 am

Another Shomer Shabat FF to count in...

If there is a DO in Israel, UK, Germany or Switzerland let me know and I'll see what I can do. Tend to hang out in these places...

Re locations - Charleston SC has an Orthodox Shul close to historic centre, with loads of hotels nearby. There is also an (excellent) kosher B&B in walking distance which also does Shabat meals, and a kosher restaurant (and supermarket) within the area.

Another suggestion for a location would be Munich. SUPERB kosher restaurant right in the city centre, close to shul and all hotels. They do meals on Shabbat also. There are a few other kosher facilities close by, plus plenty of (kosher) beer - and I'm sure a few of us can help people into the FCT in FRA or FCL in Munich, both of which have kosher meals available! Any other shomer-shabat HONs around?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
Here goes another one.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:39 pm

count me in.........
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
OT but not so -- Pesach in Berlin?

This is probably the best thread to ask this: Husband and I are visiting (very secular) stepson in Berlin, and the last part of Pesach was the only time that worked. I'll definitely have to lower my standards, but any suggestions as to where I might find kosher l'pesach foodstuffs? (I'll pack in some canned fish, the old standby, to ensure a protein source)
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:04 am

Kosher in Berlin/Germany

Originally Posted by lskohn
This is probably the best thread to ask this: Husband and I are visiting (very secular) stepson in Berlin, and the last part of Pesach was the only time that worked. I'll definitely have to lower my standards, but any suggestions as to where I might find kosher l'pesach foodstuffs? (I'll pack in some canned fish, the old standby, to ensure a protein source)

Shouldn't be a problem.

You can find a list of kosher establishments (including shops) in Berlin here

http://www.hagalil.com/deutschland/b...nde/kosher.htm

I'm not sure which are open on Pesach.

You can also order a broad range of products or cooked meals to anywhere in Germany from this site (actually based in Munich,but they ship refrigerated anywhere in Germany for a reasonable fee) - order online, by phone or fax.

http://www.hagalil.com/koscher/index.htm

Price list is

http://www.koscher.net/danel/preisliste.pdf

The meat goods are very good, and kashruut is reliable (Rabinnate of Bavaria)

Last edited by 2035; Jan 14, 2008 at 3:43 am
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by craz
But Pico has a Residence Inn and a Crowne Plaza across the street from 1 another with shulS too many to count within a 2-10 min walk in all directions. Those wanting more upscale (yea right) theres a Lowes and for those who wouldnt mind a nice hike plenty more on Ave Of The Stars
Spent the first 18 years of my life in that neighborhood.

Shomer Shabbos and proud of it! Just trekked 25 min each way in the cold to attend minyan/meals at the new Chabad of Yabulo (downtown) Beijing.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Another one ...

Another Shomer Shabat FTer here ..

Now the better question: The most exotic place you have spend shabbes?

I have two for the list:
Taipei, Taiwan (acutally went to servies and had dinner)
Penang, Malaysia (Kiddush in my hotel room, and take-out from the grocery store for dinner)
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:31 pm

Accra Ghanna,
Alice Springs Australia
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bosbjg
Another Shomer Shabat FTer here ..

Now the better question: The most exotic place you have spend shabbes?

I have two for the list:
Taipei, Taiwan (acutally went to servies and had dinner)
Penang, Malaysia (Kiddush in my hotel room, and take-out from the grocery store for dinner)
-Kobe, Japan
-Grand Canyon, AZ (Actually bumped into a jewish wedding ceremony on shabbos here!)
-Crater Lake, OR
-Multiple places in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro, Foz do Iguacu, Florionopolis, Sao Paulo, etc.)

Next week I'll be in Lihue, Kauai for shabbos...

But nothing can top shabbos in Jerusalem!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:11 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Ubud, Indonesia
Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Siem Reap
Bangkok
Koh Samui
Chiang Mai
Shanghai
New Delhi
Aleppi (Kerala, India)
Kataragama (Sri Lanka)
Wellington NZ
Saigon
Lihue
Prague
Fez
Marakkesh
Zanzibar
Mombasa, Kenya
Ixtapa
Puerta Vallarta
Aitutaki/Raratonga (Cook Islands)
Berlin
Paris
Maldives
Rio (this Shabbat!)

......been blessed with alot of miles!!!!!!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:05 am
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Kyle of Lochalash (Scotland). Shabbos goes out *very* late in the summer.

Kauai (ctownflyer - it's the rainiest place on earth - but they don't tell you that before you get there!). We went for a walk on the beach, all dressed up for Shabbos, very late in the afternoon and were debating whether we were the only people in the world still keeping Shabbos at that moment, and we saw another couple walking towards up - he with a white shirt. As we get closer, his wife is saying to him "I *told* you, you should have worn a jacket on Shabbos!".

Game lodge in South Africa.

I always try and be home for Shabbos, or at least somewhere reasonable. My favourite (apart, of course, from Jerusalem) is Singapore.

BTW, see also the new posting re the Jew-Do in London...
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by 2035
Shouldn't be a problem.

You can find a list of kosher establishments (including shops) in Berlin here

http://www.hagalil.com/deutschland/b...nde/kosher.htm

I'm not sure which are open on Pesach.

You can also order a broad range of products or cooked meals to anywhere in Germany from this site (actually based in Munich,but they ship refrigerated anywhere in Germany for a reasonable fee) - order online, by phone or fax.

http://www.hagalil.com/koscher/index.htm

Price list is

http://www.koscher.net/danel/preisliste.pdf

The meat goods are very good, and kashruut is reliable (Rabinnate of Bavaria)
Thank you for the helpful links!
Most unusual shabbos for me -- somewhere in the middle of Quetico Provincial Park, ONT, CA, with the aurora borealis to light the evening
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
Minsk --> Just an interesting place
Lisbon --> I received a real time education on modern day morannos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.