Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Issuing Tourist Visas from July 12

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I dont understand why - out of the blue - qatar would be requiring PCRs from transit when they haven't been doing so throughout the pandemic.

all i know is that this mysterious rule has been in effect since 7/12 and nobody here (or on any travel forum that i've read, for tha matter) has even mentioned the need for PCR tests while transiting through doha. thousands of travelers transit through doha each day and i feel like we would have heard about it one way or another by now. but that's just my 2c.

it just shocks me that QR customer service has no concrete answer to this when its their government enacting the rules.
Schwann likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by rvlcr
I dont understand why - out of the blue - qatar would be requiring PCRs from transit when they haven't been doing so throughout the pandemic.

all i know is that this mysterious rule has been in effect since 7/12 and nobody here (or on any travel forum that i've read, for tha matter) has even mentioned the need for PCR tests while transiting through doha. thousands of travelers transit through doha each day and i feel like we would have heard about it one way or another by now. but that's just my 2c.

it just shocks me that QR customer service has no concrete answer to this when its their government enacting the rules.
Probably since they are loosening restrictions to enter Qatar and going an extra step to protect citizens/residents and ensure planes aren't loaded with COVID positive transit pax.

Agree DOH is a central transit hub thus could have a negative impact to transit pax.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:03 pm

Looking at the website now, it seems that coming from Green vs. Yellow vs. Red doesn't matter if you have been vaccinated.

https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/trave...s/default.aspx
  • Travelers who are fully vaccinated with the above specified conditionally approved vaccines shall undergo antibody test upon arrival, if the result is positive, they shall be exempt from the quarantine requirements; if the result is negative, the passenger will be required to do PCR test upon arrival and must undergo quarantine based on the classification of the departure country.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Also, with the newest update of the MOPH site the transit was rule was removed. Good news!
aj411 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Looking at the website now, it seems that coming from Green vs. Yellow vs. Red doesn't matter if you have been vaccinated.
For a foreigner, it does.
See: https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/trave...iefing_eng.pdf
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I think you are misinterpreting the document. Entry for vaccinated individuals (with approved vaccines) from yellow and red countries including non-Qataris is allowed without quarantine. You may be looking at the section in the document that refers to unvaccinated minors traveling with vaccinated parents. If you looked at other parts of the website or TIMATIC it will be clearer.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
I think you are misinterpreting the document. Entry for vaccinated individuals (with approved vaccines) from yellow and red countries including non-Qataris is allowed without quarantine. You may be looking at the section in the document that refers to unvaccinated minors traveling with vaccinated parents. If you looked at other parts of the website or TIMATIC it will be clearer.
You seem right.
Sorry for the confusion.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
The way I read that PDF is that for immune tourists coming from RED countries: "Entry Not Allowed"
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You seem right.
Sorry for the confusion.
I think we can agree that the communiqué is at best confusing. The text from the ministry seems pretty unequivocal, but the schematic representation filtered through associate entities could mislead.

So we struggle to understand the personal implication of rules set by the Qatar authorities. It's fair enough that in FT threads we offer our own interpretations, but it is NOT helpful when those interpretations are presented as categorical truths, particularly coming from posters have established themselves as authorities on matters relating to QR.

My 2 dirhams' worth agrees with @N1Rotate's reading of the rules. But i wouldn't act on that until i get some first-hand report that a double-vaccinated red-list visitor has got into Qatar, without a long and expensive spell in isolation.

​​​​​​
aviators99 and cheltzel like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
The way I read that PDF is that for immune tourists coming from RED countries: "Entry Not Allowed"
The schematic representation, with its big blank box, is ambiguous.

However the English text from the ministry is pretty much straightforward, though a specific reference to red-list visitors would have been helpful.

I don't offer my view as a definitive interpretation of the current rules established by the Qatar authorities. And we have to be aware that those rules could shift in the blink of an eye.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The schematic representation, with its big blank box, is ambiguous.

However the English text from the ministry is pretty much straightforward, though a specific reference to red-list visitors would have been helpful.
I don't see a big blank box. In the schematic representation, what do you interpret the box that says "Entry not Allowed" to refer to?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
I don't see a big blank box. In the schematic representation, what do you interpret the box that says "Entry not Allowed" to refer to?
Yes you are right ! the box is not blank, it simply does not specify who the ban applies to. The preceding categories (in the two other boxes to the left) refer to children.

In the line above the one we re discussing, all three of these the boxes are subsets of the general category, and refer to children.

I'm assuming our line follows the same logic. Maybe a brave assumption, but one supported by the text.

So it seems likely the ban on entry applies to the red-list children, rather than to fully vaccinated adults.

Who knows if I'm right, but maybe there's a scrap of logic to this interpretation when married to the text.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:52 am

If you go to the Qatar Airways website and check out the travel and entry requirements from a red list country to Doha you will have the following text. This example was for MNL-DOH:

Group B: Family Visitors, Businessman (short-term visa), Tourist including GCC residents:

• Entry is restricted to vaccinated, and/or recovered individuals as defined in numbers 11, 12 &13, in the General policy.
  • Fully vaccinated individuals:
  • Exempted from quarantine if you are fully vaccinated with an MOPH recognized vaccine and at least (14) days have passed after receiving the second dose of a two-dose series vaccine or from the single dose in case of single-dose regime vaccine.
  • Minors between (0-11) years old accompanied by their fully vaccinated parents are exempted from the quarantine if traveling from countries on the Green List.
  • Minors between (0-11) years old accompanied by their fully vaccinated parents shall be subject to hotel quarantine for (07) days if traveling from countries on the Yellow List.
  • No exceptions for Minors traveling from countries on the Red List.

a) Minors between (0-11) years old are not allowed to enter.

b) Minors between (12-17) years old traveling from countries on Red, Yellow & Green list countries.

b1) who are fully vaccinated are allowed to enter without quarantine.

b2) if not vaccinated will not be allowed entry
The last part is confusing (a + b) and I am guessing is referring to unaccompanied minors as they wouldn’t be able to be quarantined in hotels.

In any case you need to get pre-approval via the Ehteraz website to travel if you are a visitor.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yes you are right ! the box is not blank, it simply does not specify who the ban applies to. The preceding categories (in the two other boxes to the left) refer to children.

In the line above the one we re discussing, all three of these the boxes are subsets of the general category, and refer to children.

I'm assuming our line follows the same logic. Maybe a brave assumption, but one supported by the text.

So it seems likely the ban on entry applies to the red-list children, rather than to fully vaccinated adults.

Who knows if I'm right, but maybe there's a scrap of logic to this interpretation when married to the text.
I read the PDF as all flowing down from the categories at the very top. It all makes sense if you read it that way, other than it being inconsistent with other documents. But at least it is internally consistent if you read it that way.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PPro
Thanks for the helpful interpretations. I travel in two weeks and only intended to spend one night in DOH despite two long layovers. So my plan is to get the straight information upon arrival on my outbound layover to get squared away for my return.

Did anyone figure out the PCR test requirement for transit passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.