Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Wiki last updated: 21 July 2017 18:00 UTC

Summary of key traveller experiences and feedback on this forum since Mid-June
  • Policy statement (link) for the travel industry issued 15th June 2017
  • Refund is always an option, but very varied experiences of how quickly the refund is processed, from a few days to "still waiting". Some experiences of passengers being pressurised into taking refunds when this is not necessary if you can wait.
  • If you want to reroute from a closed destination to another middle east destination still served by QR, you might be able to do this as early as 30 days from 1st sector, although we have had reports of rerouting at 6 weeks out.
  • Where QR have to reroute onto other carriers, long haul reroutes typically onto BA, CX and TK seem to be quoted most often. In the Gulf region ME, KU, WY are quoted most often. Although RJ is a OneWorld carrier and should be a parter for QR, they are not accepting QR rerouted tickets.
  • Status of reservations for travel to affected destinations typically changes to "Unconfirmed" 7 days ahead of travel.
  • If your booking was via a 3rd party or agent you probably can't get Qatar to change the ticket until 72 hours before the first sector. 3rd parties and agents seem to be offering refunds rather than rerouting, although there has been some success if you can show them the QR rebooking policy document.
  • There has been a very mixed bag of reports of how QR are handling rebooking. Some people have no luck getting itineraries changed before 72 hours before departure, but others do. So some good advice is to always be polite but if you don't get what you want, then thank the agent for their time and HUACA (hang up and call again) - preferably after you have had a drink and have calmed down, and maybe calling a different office.

Some specific data points from other travellers:
(but there is a lot more valuable information if you can trawl back through the thread)

#753 CAI-LHR-DOH been offered as alternative for ex-CAI 4 days prior to 1st sector.
#772 KUL-DOH-LXR reroute to CAI and IST refused
#792 AUH-DOH-DPS by QR rebooked to DXB-HKG-DPS by CX
#794 Australia-DOH-HBE rebooked as DOH-BEY on QR on 2nd attempt.
#808 CAI>DOH>BOS>DOH>CAI rebooked to KRT and date change
#818 SYD-DOH-CAI changed to SYD-DOH-KWI-CAI, layovers optimed and +Qatar stopover
#830 and #840 Economy ICN-DOH-DXB rebooked onto CX ICN-HKG-DXB
#849 ex-CAI ininaries changed to ex-AMM but needed to HUACA a few times.
#856 CAI-DOH-BKK changed to FCO-DOH-BKK all on QR
#868 DFW-DOH-HBE changed to DFW-DOH-LCA all on QR 2 weeks out.
#906 Unable to get LXR-DOH-HKG-BNE rerouted until 72 hours prior
#927 CAI-DOH-BKK rebooked onto CAI-BAH-AMM on Gulf DOH-BKK (on QR) and return back to AMM
#966 DXB-DOH (award ticket) was changed to DXB-KWI-DOH on Kuwait+QR 48hrs in advance
#966 DOH-CAI (2 award tickets) were changed to DOH-BEY on QR 48 hours advance
#966 CAI-DOH-MUC (paid business) were changed to BEY-DOH-MUC 72 hours advance
#981 HKT-DOH-DWC (J/F tix) change to HKT-DOH-KWI all on QR 10 days out.
#985 ex-LXR ticket rerouted by OTA as CAI-BEY-DOH outside the 72 hr window
#1004 BKK-DOH-CAI in F rebooked as BKK-DOH-BEY in QR F, BEY-CAI in C on ME
#1005 HEL-DOH-DXB rebooked HEL-DOH-MCT on QR and MCT-DXB on Oman once ticket status went to unconfirmed.
#1057 MAN-DOH-DXB rebooked as MAN-LHR-DXB on BA (had to HUACA 3 times)
#1141 Multiple ex-CAI itineraries CAI-DOK-BKK return in J, CAI-DOH-LHR return in J, CAI-DOH-BKK single in F changed to all be ex-KWI. Had to HUACA 3 times.
#1157 LXR-DOH-NRT booked in January, flight changed to CAI-DOH-NRT
#1172 Rebooked CAI-(F)-DOH(J)-BKK to CAI-(C/ME)-BEY-(F)-DOH-(C)-BKK at 77hrs from departure
#1173 Rebooked at QR office HBE-DOH-DPS to HBE-IST-DOH-DPS on TK/TK/QR and improved timing on DOS-DPS segment

Offical guidance from QR website as of mid July:

Passengers who have purchased their tickets from Qatar Airways have the following options to refund their tickets:

For tickets booked on qatarairways.com, they can:
  1. Go to Refund requests;
  2. They can approach their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  3. They can call the Qatar Airways contact Centre at +974 4022 0072
For tickets booked through a Qatar Airways Office or through the Contact Centre, passengers can
  1. Contact their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  2. Call Qatar Airways Contact Centre on +974 4022 0072
The refund will be made to the original form of payment and the refund will be processed within 14 - 28 days.
Passengers who have purchased their Qatar Airways tickets through a Travel Agency can request their refund from the issuing Travel Agent.
Within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kingdom of Bahrain and Egypt please use: https://refundsapp1.blueivysync.com/...er-refund.html

This is a different web form as the Qatar website is blocked from some of these countries.
For further information and FAQs please visit: http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
What Happened

On the 6th of June flights from Qatar to Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (and vice versa) were suspended.

This includes all Qatar flights between Doha and Abu Dhabi, Abha, Alexandria–Borg el Arab, Bahrain, Buraydah, Cairo, Dammam, Dubai–Al Maktoum, Dubai–International, Gassim, Hofuf, Jeddah, Luxor, Madinah, Ras Al Khaimah, Riyadh, Sharjah, Tabuk, Ta'if and Yanbu.

Adding to this at 00:00 (UTC) on the 6th of June restrictions were put in place limiting flights to Doha to one particular corridor through the airspace of Bahrain. This has since been relaxed to two specific corridors through Bahrain airspace with a second corridor up the Saudi Arabia the new addition.

All other flights to other Qatar Airways destinations including the Maldives are still operating although some have delays due to the extended time required to avoid restricted airspace.

There are a couple of routes that are having to make fuel stops in Athens or Muscat but this seems to be dependent on the type of aircraft as well.

Details on the Airspace can be found here - https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/f...ain-and-egypt/

What about my Flights to other destinations?

Flights to Europe, Asia, Pacific and Norte America are operating as per schedule with minimal delays. There is no need to contact QR regarding these services.

Flights between Doha and Souto America are facing delays due to longer times and/or need for a technical stop-over. Flights to GRU and EZE are 2hr to 5hrs longer.

Flight between Doha and Africa/Middle East have longer flights times due to the airspace restrictions. Some routes like Doha to Khartoum have felt the full force of the restrictions with the flight now taking 2hr 30 mins longer than normal.

Qatar has begun to re-time flights to ensure the network continues running smoothly. Changes have been since Monday 12 June 2017, so it is advised to check your flight status and times on the Qatar website.

What about my flight to a suspended destination?

If you are due to fly in the next few days, search for alternative routings and note them down.

24 hours before your scheduled departure time, contact your LOCAL QR office, and ask for their assistance. Advise them that you have found an alternative routing which you would be willing to accept and see if they will book it for you.

If you are due to fly more than 5 days from today, try and relax. Do not panic and please do not call QR as you are blocking the lines for those flying in the next 24 hours. At this stage, Qatar is only offering options to those who are traveling in the next 24 hours.

Currently, people in the thread have suggested that Qatar is rebooking on flights through Muscat, Kuwait, Amman, Istanbul, Mumbai, Beirut, Athens and Tunis.

You can only get a refund if your booking is to one of the destinations listed at the top! (The number of people asking QR on Twitter for a refund of other flights is amazing)

What about other airlines?

Most other carriers in and out of Doha are still operating except for Air Arabia, Air Arabia Egypt, Air Cairo, EgyptAir, Emirates, Etihad, FlyDubai, Rotana Jet and Saudia.

Most other carriers are using the new restricted routes into Doha although provided the aircraft is not registered in Qatar they are allowed to use the Saudi Arabia or Egypt Airspace.

Timeline of Events:

5 June 2017

- UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace
- All MS flights between CAI and DOH was zeroed out
- All GF flights between BAH and DOH closed for sale
- All QR flights between DOH and CAI closed for sale
- All QR staff travel was canceled

6 June 2017

- Airspace Restriction came into effect at 00:00 (UTC)
- All QR flights between DOH and UAE/Bahrain/KSA closed for sale
- QR flights between DOH and MLE still bookable
- QR Charters 3 aircraft from Jeddah to Muscat

7 June 2017
- QR Charters an aircraft from Jeddah to Kuwait

8 June 2017
- Qatar Airways website blocked in the UAE
- Qatar Airways offices in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain close

11 June 2017
- Second flight corridor added along the Saudi Arabia Coast

13 June 2017
- UAE Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar but they are still not allowing flights between the UAE and Qatar from any operators.
- Egypt Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar. The new rules also allow for non Qatar or Egypt registered aircraft to operate flights between the two countries.

14 June 2017
- Agreement between QR and BA/A3 on reticketing passengers (link below)

Further information:
- QR Travel Alert http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...bile_site=true
- QR FAQs http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
- QR Charter flights arranged from Jeddah KSA to Muscat Oman http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...Muscat-to-Doha
- QR agreement with BA & A3 to reticket their flights http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...r-help-qr.html
- Political background and latest updates: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by kkong42
I had HEL-DOH-DXB booked ...they re-booked me DOH-MCT-DXB... The MCT-DXB leg is Oman Air.
May I ask, what class were you booked in for DOH-DXB originally and what class on WY were you then rebooked into?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by rjn21
May I ask, what class were you booked in for DOH-DXB originally and what class on WY were you then rebooked into?
My wife had DXB-DOH rerouted through Kuwait and it was a reward ticket.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was just about to ask about award tickets! I have a ticket from HBE-DOH-DPS in biz class for early August booked with AA miles.

Are all award tickets treated equally?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:31 pm

I believe with AA you have to find award space with AA partners. I don't think that tickets booked with AA miles are following the same protocol as QR directly ex. getting rerouted through MCT on WY as AA is not partners with Oman Air. However, if lets say you can't find space or you don't like the routing AA provides then you can wait until you get to DOH at check-in where you could get re routed with other carriers but leaving it the day of is a big risk obviously. Most folks like having their itineraries set in stone in advance but if you want to roll the dice and see what QR provides than you have to do it at DOH and can't do anything in advance with QR since its issued through AA.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was just about to ask about award tickets! I have a ticket from HBE-DOH-DPS in biz class for early August booked with AA miles.

Are all award tickets treated equally?
The award tickets were Qatar Airways QMiles booked on the QR website and originally only flying QR metal. They did not treat my reward bookings any differently than my purchased tickets.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:16 am

margarita girl with regard to visas and stopovers then AA rewards are treated differently to QR revenue tickets in several ways.

With regard to rerouting then you need to wait until the flight comes under airport control 72 hours before flight time. You then become a passenger on a QR flight and it is then QRs problem! They will reroute you if at all possible.

Until then you are AAs problem and they can do very little for you. In fact I read somewhere on another website that AA recommended their ticket holders to follow QRs guidelines and let QR solve the problems!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:29 am

Ok apparently I was wrong so even if you booked through another airline's mileage program that within 72 hours you go through QR directly for any/all changes not the original mileage carrier in this case AA?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:03 am

Hello everyone!

I applied for the refund on June 6 and received the refund two weeks later. The refund was in full to my CC (I saw a credit transaction dated April for the full amount which is when I had purchased the tickets).

We (2 adults, 1 child) have another trip coming up on Jul 14 / 21 DXB DOH LHR DOH DXB. QA CS informed me today that we have a few options:

1. Refund in full. This is not a viable choice for us because tickets are sky high now i.e. new tickets will costs us an additional US$500 per person.

2. Rebook on Turkish Airlines. QA can rebook 15 days in advance with Turkish Airlines. Fleet is 777-300ER .

3. Rebook on either British Airways or Gulf Air when 72 hours are left. Fleet on BA is 747-400 and Gulf Air is A320+A330-200.

BA would be the choice since it is nonstop DXB LHR but we would have to wait until 72 hours. I've seen that Turkish Airlines has a pretty nice new economy class. What would you fellow flyers suggest?

I did ask QA which flights they could rebook us on as they said they have agreements with 19 airlines. They said for this journey they could only book us on Gulf Air, BA, Turkish or Air Berlin (24 hours before flying). Even though they are part of One World they cannot rebook us on Qantas which I find quite strange!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: none
So I think tomorrow the ultimatum of the arab countries against Qatar will run out?
Any idea what/if anything is going to happen now obviously those demands are new going to be met?
I'm going to be in Qatar for a longer stopover the 4th ...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I believe with AA you have to find award space with AA partners. I don't think that tickets booked with AA miles are following the same protocol as QR directly ex. getting rerouted through MCT on WY as AA is not partners with Oman Air. However, if lets say you can't find space or you don't like the routing AA provides then you can wait until you get to DOH at check-in where you could get re routed with other carriers but leaving it the day of is a big risk obviously. Most folks like having their itineraries set in stone in advance but if you want to roll the dice and see what QR provides than you have to do it at DOH and can't do anything in advance with QR since its issued through AA.
If you are still confirmed on your affected flights (e.g., CAI-DOH or AUH-DOH), then AA will likely only make changes if the new flights have award availability, since it is likely considered a voluntary change. Once your affected flights become unconfirmed (about a week before departure, from reports here), then it is handled as a schedule change and an involuntary change. It's still easiest if you can find alternate flights that have award availability. If not, AA may be able to book you into alternate flights or may contact their OneWorld liaison to request that the airlines operating the alternate flights open space for you. Failing that, I believe QR will reaccommodate you within 72 hours of departure, but I haven't needed to do that, because all my affected flights had award space available on alternate flights. I wouldn't wait until check-in at the airport.

Originally Posted by remdk
With regard to rerouting then you need to wait until the flight comes under airport control 72 hours before flight time. You then become a passenger on a QR flight and it is then QRs problem! They will reroute you if at all possible.

Until then you are AAs problem and they can do very little for you. In fact I read somewhere on another website that AA recommended their ticket holders to follow QRs guidelines and let QR solve the problems!
I believe airport control is generally between 24 and a few hours before the flight, but the operating carrier does generally take control of the record at some point before departure; I'm not sure if this is 72 hours or if that is just QR's procedure. The ticketing airline can still make changes and re-ticket, however, but I believe the ticketing airline needs to request control of the record first.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ASW1
So I think tomorrow the ultimatum of the arab countries against Qatar will run out?
Any idea what/if anything is going to happen now obviously those demands are new going to be met?
I'm going to be in Qatar for a longer stopover the 4th ...
Nothing will happen that will impact your travel on QR.

There is no threat of military action or anything else that will disrupt air travel or tourism.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Davee58
I requested cancellation two weeks ago and have heard nothing from them at all.

Just submitted another cancellation request earlier today, this time I received a "Refund Request" e-mail back immediately, something that I did not get last time.
Any update on this?

Of the three bookings I requested a refund for:
- one has now been refunded (the cheapest one):
- one is being processed (according to QR), and,
- one has gone into deep space without a trace.

I have sent a couple of emails regarding the third booking to QR-Support requesting confirmation that they have received my refund request, but absolutely nothing in return. It's as if they don't want to talk to me about it.

Seems very strange considering the prompt action QR has taken on the first two refund requests, particularly as I have also purchased a more expensive ticket with QR to replace this one.

Perhaps it's because this booking is for later in the year (Nov), but in any case, they should still provide an acknowledgement.

I really don't know what more I can do, other than to wait the 28 days and then request my bank (Amex) to do a chargeback. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

Last edited by Grace B; Jul 2, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by DamienW
I have a DXB-DOH-ADL coming up on Wednesday (5th July). I've called QA and they've been very accommodating and offered the following:

CX via DXB HKG ADL (which i'm not interested in)
Changing the origin to MCT, so it would be MCT-DOH-ADL on QA metal
Or alternatively a full refund.
I've followed this thread and will call again on Sunday (72 hours out) to review the options.

I'm considering the origin change to MCT and was wondering if anyone knows whether I have to clear immigration at MCT and then recheck with QA?
And if so, how difficult this is?
Just an update to my earlier post. I called yesterday (72 hours) and was rebooked via KWI on KU.The QA call centre operator stated that the flight 'may' be cancelled by KU as policy is 24 hours in advance.
Roughly 3 hours later it was automatically cancelled in the system.
Called up again today and was advised to call at the 24 hour mark.

Also with my earlier question, it turns out that WY do interline baggage all of the way through for QA.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:30 pm

QR have ordered new cargo planes to help with the food airlift, so I'm guessing they don't expect the situation to end anytime soon:

Qatar Airways, whose flights have been forced to leave the region through Iranian airspace, is running up to eight extra cargo flights every day to bring fresh supplies of fruit, meat and vegetables to Doha, the capital. Executives have ordered new cargo planes, and at the company’s vast, air-conditioned cargo facility at the airport in Doha on Sunday, employees said they anticipated little difficulty in handling the increased freight.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/02/w...-blockade.html
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Qatar Gold
Whatever your inclination towards the State of Qatar, their response to this situation has been proactive, efficient and worthy of praise.

However, for Qatar Airways specifically, the issue must be severely impacting on their bookings into Q3/Q4 of this year and further into 2018?

Personally speaking, I've been organizing 20+ family and friends to get from Ireland to Asia in January 2018 for a wedding and so far a number of parties have said they wont fly QA due to the ongoing issue. Being a loyal QA flyer for the last 2-3 years, I've tried to convince them otherwise, but there are no takers.

This #newsfear (as I call it) must be evident the world over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.