Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Interlining (Baggage)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:16 am

hkgg IATA work on a journey principle thus your journey is CAI-DOH-BKK-HKG on two separate PNRs The Most Significant Sector is DOH-BKK and it is the DOH-BKK allowances that are valid for the whole journey.

The IATA rules are to avoid you having as many different baggage allowances as there are airlines involved. Again it is for a journey (CAI-HKG) not just a ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:33 am

@remdk
Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps a little unrelated to this question but still relevant.... I am flying AKL-DOH-BRU-LHR with the last leg booked separately on BA.

Obviously, I'm covered luggage wise as QR will check it through to BA. But, as I will be checking in at AKL before OLCI has opened on the BRU flight, will they still be able to check that bag in for the flight and print my boarding pass?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by remdk
hkgg IATA work on a journey principle thus your journey is CAI-DOH-BKK-HKG on two separate PNRs The Most Significant Sector is DOH-BKK and it is the DOH-BKK allowances that are valid for the whole journey.

The IATA rules are to avoid you having as many different baggage allowances as there are airlines involved. Again it is for a journey (CAI-HKG) not just a ticket.
I think this answer might be misleading. If you have separate tickets in the same PNR then that is one journey. However if you have completely separate bookings then that is separate journeys.

Im not an expert here though so I stand to be corrected.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I think this answer might be misleading. If you have separate tickets in the same PNR then that is one journey. However if you have completely separate bookings then that is separate journeys.

Im not an expert here though so I stand to be corrected.
Oh..

It's 2 tickets with 2 separate PNRs. The QR is a paid ticket, whereas the CX flight is an avios redemption...

help?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:37 pm

sxc you may be correct but it depends upon how you interpret the statement 'on separate bookings' which is to be found within a weighty IATA document called something like 'Revision of resolution 302 to ensure compatibility between member airlines'! I chose the most passenger friendly interpretation but airlines will want to look at it in another way.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by Schwann
Perhaps a little unrelated to this question but still relevant.... I am flying AKL-DOH-BRU-LHR with the last leg booked separately on BA.

Obviously, I'm covered luggage wise as QR will check it through to BA. But, as I will be checking in at AKL before OLCI has opened on the BRU flight, will they still be able to check that bag in for the flight and print my boarding pass?
I will face this issue in late April. My optimistic side suggests it won't be a problem as many people will have passed through AKL on similar ticketing arrangements.

My recollection in in the past couple of years is that as long as you have the flight info on the BA app check in agents can locate the booking in their systems and through check the baggage.

I do do hope I'm right...!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hkgg
Oh..

It's 2 tickets with 2 separate PNRs. The QR is a paid ticket, whereas the CX flight is an avios redemption...

help?
Two separate PNRs are the challenge. (Though the word "ticket" is sometimes used liberally, there may be as many as 16 actual tickets in a single PNR. An uncomplicated round trip ticket on one PNR will have two tickets at least.)

Even some airlines that followed the ruling oneworld established allowing them to decline through checking of checked baggage may allow it when one ONR civers an award on their airline, from many experiences shared by members.

Be prepared to produce documentation of the other PNR, and as yiurevflying on two airlines (CX and QR) that eschew the oneworld ruling I doubt you'll have any difficulties. Others (AA, BA, etc.) are fairly rigid, however.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Schwann

As long as you have the details of the BA flight at check in, it shouldn't be a problem to check the bag through.

In my experience of check in over 24 hours before a last sector on BA, they may or may not give you a boarding pass for the BA flight. I have been given them, not been given them and met on the airbridge on arrival in Europe with the onward boarding pass, and had to check in on arrival in Europe (online with a mobile boarding pass, or via the transit desk).

It's all part of the excitement and mystery of intercontinental travel
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Yes, this is quite cool - coming back from AKL in april and HND in July into Europe. Will simplify the arrangements on the way back.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by hkgg
I just did exactly this... but without so much luggage, so I can't comment on that (assume it depends on how lax the local check in agents are - I can't see them making a fuss, but YMMV)

Anyway, through checking on QR works an absolute treat - extra time in the CX lounge in BKK, no need to faff around with immigration, or walk the length of Suvarnabhumi. If I had known it was going to be this easy, I would have booked a connection 2 hours earlier. Oh well, next time...

Last edited by kt74; Mar 9, 2017 at 1:09 am Reason: doh!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
AKL checkin on Friday wouldn't/couldn't interline our baggage to BA, despite our asking supervisor. Have just spent over an hour at FRA collecting it, going thru immigration, explaining to customs who were somewhat bemused, getting a train to terminal 2 and arrived at deserted BA desk which was not yet open. Have to say this is the first time QR not interlined our baggage though
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:47 am

I have been interlining my baggage on 2 separate PNR's with QTR ever since the ATL-DOH flight began in 2016. For some reason QTR will not sell a ticket that includes the connecting AA flt ATL-CLT-TPA-CLT-ALT route so, I have been forced to purchase a separate ATL-CLT-TPA-CLT-ATL ticket on AA. My entire route CMN-DOH-ATL-CLT-TPA is interlined by QTR but not AA. The CMN staff always requests my AA ATL-CLT-TPA PNR info and prints out 2 separate baggage tags for each of my baggage. One CMN-DOH-ATL and the other ATL-CLT-TPA. And provides me with all my boarding passes to my final destination in TPA. After checking in with QTR in CMN I can go into the AA app and see that I have checked in for my next day ATL-CLT-TPA flt and that my baggage is being followed by AA. And I might add that my baggage has always made it thru to TPA without a problem.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:01 am

For anyone who finds this useful: just completed my CAI-DOH-BKK (QR)// BKK-HKG (CX) trip. QR check in at CAI were able to check through my bags (53 kg in total) to HKG even though my 53kg baggage was over my free allowance with CX (50kg). Bags arrived in HKG without problem.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:23 am

hkgg as I said in post 16 of this thread
Originally Posted by remdk

Since it was one continuous journey thanks to QRs ignoring OWs interlining rules. CX had to accept the luggage since both reservations were defined as one journey.
Doing the journey in reverse on these tickets then it would have been two separate journeys thanks to CX hiding behind OW rules and you would have had to collect and re-check your both luggage and yourself in BKK. You would have had CX baggage allowance for HKG-BKK and QRs for the other reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.