Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Interlining (Baggage)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
doctoravios welcome to the QR forum. I think that you will find the dashboard a useful tool.

When did these problems with baggage happen? The new regulations are valid from 1 March, not before.
The first flight (ending OSL - LHR) was November 2016 and the second (ending HEL - LHR) was yesterday. Both times the luggage got stuck in Doha and then was subsequently transferred on a DOH - LHR flight (but there was no problem in interlining them at the source - it took a couple of minutes to sort out at check-in). I wonder if others have had similar experiences? I don't know if it might be something to do with going through Norway/Finland or originating in Thailand.

Thankfully yesterday's baggage has been found and will be couriered shortly. In fact, in a way it has been beneficial because on both occasions I have been able to comfortably travel into London without having to haul a heavy suitcase on the tube!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by doctoravios
The first flight (ending OSL - LHR) was November 2016 and the second (ending HEL - LHR) was yesterday. Both times the luggage got stuck in Doha and then was subsequently transferred on a DOH - LHR flight (but there was no problem in interlining them at the source - it took a couple of minutes to sort out at check-in). I wonder if others have had similar experiences? I don't know if it might be something to do with going through Norway/Finland or originating in Thailand.
So the issue is not that QR didn't want to interline the bags to a booking on a separate non-QR ticket, just that the bags misconnected?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
So the issue is not that QR didn't want to interline the bags to a booking on a separate non-QR ticket, just that the bags misconnected?
Yes, the bags misconnected. But the DOH - OSL/HEL - LHR connection was well within the minimum connection time. Perhaps it's just bad luck? I don't know. I'll have another opportunity to try again later in the year on the Brussels - Tokyo fare so we'll see what happens then.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
I wrote to customer care about Akl not interlining our baggage (we also had other problems with seat getting stuck in recline mode and running out of wine and champagne 3 hours into flight!). However they have just written back to say they will only interline on condition that the itinerary is on one ticket as minimum connecting times between carriers at the transit airport must be observed.

This was after 1 March and I had quoted the article at this beginning of this thread

Last edited by Pandra; Mar 29, 2017 at 8:57 am Reason: Posted before completing
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Well here's my response from customer services. Which seems to imply that interlining should be possible.

Dear Mr. plunet

Thank you for writing to us.

Please allow us to share about the general rules that through check-in of passengers and baggage are performed only if the routing is on a single ticket.

In case of two separate tickets, through check in is only allowed on Qatar Airways and One World carriers flights provided the required minimum connecting time is observed.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Respectfully Yours,

Officer Customer Care
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
So a different response to the one I received! I had over four hours at Frankfurt so well above conformance
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Pandra
So a different response to the one I received! I had over four hours at Frankfurt so well above conformance
Yep, agree.

I will respond back with more specific details asking for confirmation that the check through should be possible.

I currently have 10hours between the QR and BA flights so will definitely meet the minimum connection time. The schedule gives us lots of recovery time if we have to get the later DOH FRA flight due to a misconnect from the AKL flight, the option to pop into Frankfurt for lunch if we so wish, or we can ask BA for an earlier flight as well.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by plunet
Yep, agree.

I will respond back with more specific details asking for confirmation that the check through should be possible.

I currently have 10hours between the QR and BA flights so will definitely meet the minimum connection time. The schedule gives us lots of recovery time if we have to get the later DOH FRA flight due to a misconnect from the AKL flight, the option to pop into Frankfurt for lunch if we so wish, or we can ask BA for an earlier flight as well.
My connection time at FRA after the flight from AKL is around four hours. This seems to be three hours above MCT at FRA (see page two of this document: http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf/07/media_795011207.pdf).

Will be interesting plunet to see what CS say to your follow up.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:34 am

Well, my further confirmation confirms that interlining is possible for my specific itinerary and should be honoured at AKL. I did ask them to make specific queries whether AKL station staff know about this, and although they did not respond on this point you might hope that a note has been sent to the AKL QR rep to reinforce the policy and sort out any training issues.

Hope the below is useful. I did this by emailing [email protected]

Thankyou for your prompt reponse to my query. My detailed itenary is as follows.

(details removed)

So as far as I understand your reply, if I present myself to check in at Auckland with my onward itenary for my BA flight, the check in staff should be able to check in my baggage all the way through to London. My onward flight is clearly with a OneWorld carrier and the connection observes the minimum connection time. All flights are in business class.
I query this as I had a colleage travelling from Auckland in the past couple of weeks doing a similar business class itenary and they were refused the through check in of baggage for a valid connection observing minimum connection time onto a British Airways flight on a separate ticket. They reported to me that the check in staff at Auckland did not seem to know about this policy and were unable to process their request.

I would be grateful for your clarification on the above as being able to check through baggage would make my journey much easier.
Maybe if you have time you could verify with your representative in Auckland that the staff are aware of this new customer firendly policy and know how to check through?

Many thanks

Mr Plunet.

Dear Mr. Plunet,

Thank you for your further email.

We would like to confirm that through check in of baggage is available on separate ticket between one world member carrier provided the required minimum connecting time is met.
Based from your booking record, our Airport team in Auckland would be able to through check your baggage to your onwards flight via British Airways.
Should you require any further information, kindly contact our local ticketing and reservations office directly.
Thank you.

Yours Truly,

Customer Care Officer
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I don't know if this is still an issue, but I packed Mrs PtF off to CAI on Sunday morning with a printed copy of the below weblink (spelling mistake there/their notwithstanding). See, in particular, the last paragraph - Through check-in:

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...s-service.page

At CAI QR check-in she was able to check her bags all the way through to her final destination, as well as receiving all her boarding passes. Her itinerary (two separate tickets) was:

CAI-DOH (QR-F) / DOH-CDG (QR-F) // CDG-LHR (BA-J)

Regrettably, thanks to BA , the same level of convenience will not be possible on the return journey.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by phil the flyer
i don't know if this is still an issue, but i packed mrs ptf off to cai on sunday morning with a printed copy of the below weblink (spelling mistake there/their notwithstanding). See, in particular, the last paragraph - through check-in:

at cai qr check-in she was able to check her bags all the way through to her final destination, as well as receiving all her boarding passes. Her itinerary (two separate tickets) was:

Cai-doh (qr-f) / doh-cdg (qr-f) // cdg-lhr (ba-j)

regrettably, thanks to ba , the same level of convenience will not be possible on the return journey.
👍🏻
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Just as a checkpoint - on my SYD-DOH-MUC flight a few weeks ago the agent knew how to interline, but thought it wasn't offered anymore. Once cleared to do so my bags got through to LHR perfectly fine.

They did check the MCT before doing it though, and handily informed me I would be able to pick my boarding passes up in DOH - given the time before departure at the point of check-in they couldn't do it there.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:29 am

No problems here on the 13th of March with luggage interlined QR AMS-DOH-HND in J, 9hr layover and HND-BKK JL in F separate AA award ticket.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Ba Gold; Emirates Silver
Muscat

Just had this forum save me in Muscat, where Qatar were a clear no to through check on to Perth from KUL with Malaysian separate ticket ..... quick show of the Qatar website linked above and they immediately managed to solve the "system issue" from earlier.....
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by aberdeenflyer

Just had this forum save me in Muscat, where Qatar were a clear no to through check on to Perth from KUL with Malaysian separate ticket ..... quick show of the Qatar website linked above and they immediately managed to solve the "system issue" from earlier.....
aberdeenflyer - that's excellent news! Delighted to read that the Qatar weblink produced the desired result. It's gratifying to learn that fellow FTers are able to help one another: as the saying goes - knowledge is power.

I recommend anyone with similar concerns to print a copy of the relevant page and have it in their possession at check-in. It is repeated below:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.