Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Interlining (Baggage)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by luv_flying
I just completed 1 way of my journey from Singapore to CGK on SQ and a separate ticket from CGK to Milan airport by QR.

the check through baggage did not work even though the check through tag was there. There was no staff waiting for me at the gate to process the next sector boarding pass , having worried that my baggage was left at Cgk airport, i decided to go past the custom to double check my luggage. Indeed it was there!

To caution everyone that in the event you need to retrieve your bag and recheck in at the Jakarta airport. Besure to give at least 4 hours in advance , the queue at the immigration can be extremely long up to 90min. You need to buffer even longer if your inward flight and outgoing flight are located at 2 diff terminals!
Interesting that you got a check through tag in the first place as SQ and QR are not in the same alliance. But if you get one then I agree that it should work.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by toz100
Interesting that you got a check through tag in the first place as SQ and QR are not in the same alliance. But if you get one then I agree that it should work.
It didn't work. In fact, I confirmed with Krisflyer that they have interline agreement with QR before the actual date.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum
It didn't work. In fact, I confirmed with Krisflyer that they have interline agreement with QR before the actual date.
An interline agreement doesn't mean automatically that check through is granted AFAIK. It is just the necessary condition for it. If your flights would have been on just one PNR, they would have checked your baggage through. With 2 separate PNR's they don't.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:07 am

No problem interlining from KCH to DOH in KCH airport but in DOH it proved tricky however they agreed to interline. This was last week and both tickets were separate MH and QR, I heard from the agent in KCH that QR also interlines with Malindo not sure.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:38 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by toz100
An interline agreement doesn't mean automatically that check through is granted AFAIK. It is just the necessary condition for it. If your flights would have been on just one PNR, they would have checked your baggage through. With 2 separate PNR's they don't.
+1

With interline agreements, check through luggage is wholly in the mercy of the check-in agent, and not a written benefit.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ashi777
No problem interlining from KCH to DOH in KCH airport but in DOH it proved tricky however they agreed to interline. This was last week and both tickets were separate MH and QR, I heard from the agent in KCH that QR also interlines with Malindo not sure.
MH also has a published agreement to check through luggage to OW partners, just like QR, so it shouldn't be problematic, and is guaranteed by the airlines.

I'm not as sure if the same could be said for Malindo.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
+1

With interline agreements, check through luggage is wholly in the mercy of the check-in agent, and not a written benefit.
Even it is granted, airport like Jakarta is not guaranteed. It would be a gamble.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:13 am

Even it is granted, airport like Jakarta is not guaranteed. It would be a gamble.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
My itinerary is fairly simple I guess.
QR J DOH -AMS conecting to BA LHR -SNN! 3 hour connection time in AMS which I imagine is ok? Anyone any experience with flight connections in
AMS? And has anyone ever been turned down for
this in DOH? Many Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATCOlad
QR J DOH -AMS connecting to BA LHR -SNN! 3 hour connection time in AMS which I imagine is OK? Anyone any experience with flight connections in AMS? And has anyone ever been turned down for this in DOH?
Is this 1 itinerary/PNR or 2 separate PNR's?
If all 1 no problem: baggage will be interlined
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
QR J DOH -AMS conecting to BA LHR -SNN! 3 hour connection time in AMS which I imagine is ok? Anyone any experience with flight connections in
AMS? And has anyone ever been turned down for
this in DOH? Many Thanks
​​​​If this is QR DOH-AMS, and then BA AMS-LHR-SNN then you should be able to check baggage through under QR's current policy. (You seem to omit the AMS-LHR sector above). Worth checking with BA at the earliest opportunity in AMS that your QR bag tags have been captured in their check-in systems and loaded correctly on the aircraft at AMS.

Note that QR will check your baggage entitlement on BA and if that is less then the QR J entitlement based on what I have seen they will only check in what your BA ticket will allow.

Can't comment on experience at DOH but I would expect less problems there than elsewhere as more people are likely to be trained on current policy. It's outstations that usually experience variable outcomes.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Yes it’s two separate PNRs the second leg being
AMS - LHR BA then LHR -SNN Operated by EI but under same BA PNR! Only planning on one large check in each so allowance won’t be a problem. Anyway I do have BAEC silver privileges! Thanks for reply.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes it’s two separate PNRs the second leg being
AMS - LHR BA then LHR -SNN Operated by EI but under same BA PNR! Only planning on one large check in each so allowance won’t be a problem. Anyway I do have BAEC silver privileges! Thanks for reply.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html

Print this page under "Other benefits -> Through check-in", it's in writing on their own website if they start arguing that they cannot do it, which they inevitably will.

Originally Posted by plunet
​​​​

Can't comment on experience at DOH but I would expect less problems there than elsewhere as more people are likely to be trained on current policy. It's outstations that usually experience variable outcomes.
Well, they refused to do it for me at Doha in January, even the supervisor said no. When I gave my feedback to customer relations they told me it was due to custom regulations in Prague!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Star GOLD, EK SIlver
SOF-(DOH)-SIN on QR than to BKK on SQ. Check in agent refused to check thru, big arguments with station manager, finally checked thru to BKK.
On the way back in BKK the SQ agentt without even asking me, checked thru final destination SOF.
My observations are that in Asia you never have problems, LH is also fine everywhere.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ekfb
SOF-(DOH)-SIN on QR than to BKK on SQ. Check in agent refused to check thru, big arguments with station manager, finally checked thru to BKK.
On the way back in BKK the SQ agentt without even asking me, checked thru final destination SOF.
My observations are that in Asia you never have problems, LH is also fine everywhere.
Nothing to do with Asia.

Reading the policy above, Qatar’s stated check-through policy on separate tickets is relevant to onward oneworld flights only. My understanding is they otherwise don’t check-through on separate tickets and the check-in agent would have been following policy to deny the request if this was two tickets.

The check-through policy is wholly up to each airline, though the counter agents may or may not be fully familiar with the relevant policy (particularly if they are contracted out).

I believe SQ’s policy is much more liberal, hence you had no issues on your return.

(Also, for next time, I understand that Changi staff will pick up bags if you check in at a transit counter, so long as you are travelling onwards with a full-service airline; same with HKIA.)

Last edited by crackjack; Aug 21, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.