Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Interlining (Baggage)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by remdk
zeel as far as I remember there were differences of opinion as to where Immigration and customs took place. A lot depends on if the JNB-CPT flight is regarded as domestic or international. Perhaps someone who has flown that routing can give us an answer.
I flew it in reverse last year (CPT-JNB) and it was domestic, however CPT does have customs etc for its long haul arrivals, so it may be possible to check trough
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
I flew it in reverse last year (CPT-JNB) and it was domestic, however CPT does have customs etc for its long haul arrivals, so it may be possible to check trough
As Dr. HFH noted, one must go landside to head to the domestic terminal and the JNB-CPT flight on BA Comair will be an entirely domestic affair so one will not be subject to customs in CPT hence the need to pick up checked baggage, clear customs and re-check them. As also noted by Dr. HFH the process rather painless ... there is a bag drop (for BA and SA) immediately after customs and thus it is not necessary to take said checked in bags to the domestic terminal.

As to whether the long haul allowance will be honoured, I have previously argued this successfully but have not had need of this for some time as BA status allows for an increased baggage allowance regardless.

Do note however that BA Comair appear to allow BA Silver/Gold card holders extra (and indeed the original) bags of 23kg each rather than 32kg)). If the entire journey on the same PNR this may well be waived.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / OW Emerald
Thank you everyone for your response

z
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: ba
Hi, Next week will be flying MAN-OSL on SK and next day OSL- DOH- AKL on QR. On the way back I am travelling AKL- DOH- OSL on QR and
OSL -MAN on SK with just a 4 hour layover in OSL. Can QR check-in at Auckland interline bags with SK thus avoiding the need to clear immigration and
re-check bags in Oslo.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:29 am

middypuss assuming they are on separate tickets then the answer is no you cannot check baggage through to MAN.
But there have been a couple of postings in the last few months that it has been done. However I cannot remember from which airports.
AKL was not very willing to check baggage through some time ago but I have the impression that they are more willing to do so now.
It is a regular occurrence between QR and other OW airlines. However SK is not a member of OW but recent feeder agreements between QR and SK may ease the situation. I would strongly recommend that you stress your wife's disability at check-in. I realise that she does not want to use her disability that way, but if it eases your way through OSL!
Do have a good trip and enjoy the QR service.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: ba
Thanks remdk, yes they are on separate tickets. I do seem to recall seeing a thread where someone had managed interlining with LH and that's what got me thinking about trying it with SK.
I'll give it a go in Auckland and if not, with 4 hours in OSL, i've plenty of time to collect and re-check bags.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Another recent experience for the knowledge database.

Taking advantage of a comparatively good QR J HEL CNX fare Mrs PtF and I flew HEL(QR)DOH(QR)CNX(KA)HKG(CX)CEB last week, on three separate tickets (KA and CX tickets purchased with Avios).

At HEL check-in I was armed with all booking references etc to support my quest, however despite my best endeavours to get bags checked all the way through to our final destination I was unsuccessful. I eventually had to settle for collecting and re-checking bags at CNX to CEB - according to QR in HEL CNX is the weak link in the chain.

In anticipation of this I’d already ascertained the availability of a CNX left luggage facility, however it doesn’t open until one hour after the arrival of QR’s flight.

This experience might be useful for anyone connecting same day from an inbound QR CNX flight.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Clarifying, to avoid any confusion, ....
middypuss assuming they are on separate tickets then the answer is no you cannot check baggage through to MAN.
The answer isn't exactly "No." More accurately, it's "No, however,...." That appears to be the official, published rule. But it's important to note that ...
... there have been a couple of postings in the last few months that it has been done. ... AKL was not very willing to check baggage through some time ago but I have the impression that they are more willing to do so now. It is a regular occurrence between QR and other OW airlines. However SK is not a member of OW but recent feeder agreements between QR and SK may ease the situation.
To summarize, then, while, officially, the rule is that you won't be able to check through, recent experiential data suggests that there's some possibility of success if you try. So don't count on it, but go for it!!

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Another recent experience for the knowledge database. ... At HEL check-in I was armed with all booking references etc to support my quest, however despite my best endeavours to get bags checked all the way through to our final destination I was unsuccessful. I eventually had to settle for collecting and re-checking bags at CNX to CEB - according to QR in HEL CNX is the weak link in the chain.
I think that QR in HEL is right and gave you accurate information. The real problem there appears to lie with the Thai authorities, not the airlines. IIRC, CNX is set up like U.S. airports. There's no real transit zone, so you must enter the country even if you're both arriving and departing internationally.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I think that QR in HEL is right and gave you accurate information. The real problem there appears to lie with the Thai authorities, not the airlines. IIRC, CNX is set up like U.S. airports. There's no real transit zone, so you must enter the country even if you're both arriving and departing internationally.
I’m not disputing the accuracy of the information given verbally by QR at HEL check-in - although QR would do well to update the wording on their website relating to the through checking of luggage on separate OW airlines and/or tickets.

For the avoidance of doubt it was always the intention of my wife and I to ‘enter the country’ (even if a transit zone did exist we weren’t going to spend 12 hours waiting at the airport). I’d pre-arranged breakfast at the Shanghai-La and a 4-5 hour spa treatment.

It was our luggage we were hoping to through check, not us! Hence the purpose of my initial post - to hopefully provide information to others contemplating anything similar.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I’m not disputing the accuracy of the information given verbally by QR at HEL check-in - although QR would do well to update the wording on their website relating to the through checking of luggage on separate OW airlines and/or tickets. ... It was our luggage we were hoping to through check, not us! Hence the purpose of my initial post - to hopefully provide information to others contemplating anything similar.
Sorry, I could have worded my post better. Yes, like the U.S., both you and your luggage must enter the country, given the absence of a transit area.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It seems they still can’t get it right. Even at DOH my through check request QR-BA was denied - they said it was impossible on separate tickets.

Got to hand it to BA here, at least they’re consistent. Why is it so hard to get to right?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by middypuss
Hi, Next week will be flying MAN-OSL on SK and next day OSL- DOH- AKL on QR. On the way back I am travelling AKL- DOH- OSL on QR and
OSL -MAN on SK with just a 4 hour layover.
When do you fly Doh-Akl, we're flying next week as well ... And also on the way back trying to get them from ARN to AMS on SK.. not sure, but worth a shot.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:59 pm

I flew JNB-DOH-TXL on QR in J and then onto LHR on BA in Y on separate tickets. Interlining request successful.

Check-in agent paused briefly and consulted Flight Controller at desk neighbouring but then arranged all without fuss. I was asked whether BA flight also in J but satisfied with reply that my BAEC status would allow for the same luggage allowance.

This allowed for a thankfully seamless transition to BA flight right on the minimum connection time (MCT) of 50 minutes. Luggage made it as well..
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Success interlining with SK

​​​​​​C @QR -> Sas Plus @SK
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Success interlining with SK

​​​​​​C @QR -> Sas Plus @SK
May I ask which route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.