Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Is the 6 hour limit on paid access to the lounge enforced these days?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
People always say it is with some even saying they've politely been told to leave, but when I went to AS a month ago, it wasn't enforced and I stayed 9 hours on paid access...
A trick to ensure you don't get kicked out: say you have a 10-hour layover, enjoy the first 4-6 hours then ask for one of the sleeping rooms, it seems like the spa people don't know if you're on paid or regular access so can't tell if/when your 6 general lounge hours are to be up if you paid...time limit for a room is 6 hours but if you get one for the last 6 hours of your layover, you can leave at around boarding time and voila, once you're in the room the staff won't go knocking trying to kick you out unless the actual 6 room hours are up. Worked for me.
Andrew35K likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Wasn't for me a few days ago. I was in there for around 7 hours. Probably helped that it was very quiet in there and not many people.
Andrew35K likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by adni321
Wasn't for me a few days ago. I was in there for around 7 hours. Probably helped that it was very quiet in there and not many people.
Perhaps it might have helped if there was a shift change for the staff during the middle of your stay?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps it might have helped if there was a shift change for the staff during the middle of your stay?
Perhaps but there doesn't seem to be a clear mechanism in place to check or audit the time limits. Once you enter the lounge, nobody checks your details.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by adni321
Perhaps but there doesn't seem to be a clear mechanism in place to check or audit the time limits. Once you enter the lounge, nobody checks your details.
If that’s the case I think it must be because of how crowded the lounge is these days with allowing access to QR Plats and arrivals in F. Pre-pandemic, when the lounge peaked at a dozen or two guests, they absolutely kept track of your time.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:47 am

Visited AS on May 3rd on a 7 hour layover from Dublin to Perth in J (reward booking). Entry was approx 6pm.
I got to the bottom of the escalators and was told the lounge was full by a very uninterested member of staff..... (I knew there was no way it was full) so after some further confused looks by the staff member he eventually said 'go up and ask'!
At the reception desk I advised I wish to pay to upgrade my access the lounge.... the attendant who seemed like he was new on the job did a bit of fumbling about and had to call his supervisor who was more than happy to take my money and let me in.
I headed to the spa reception to request a room & was given one immediately. I then asked for the spa menu as I would liked to have had a treatment only to be told no female spa attendants were working that day and I wont be able to access the spa?? I asked about the Jacuzzi and was advised it was 'being cleaned' and to come back in about 2 hours.
I went to the bar where some Le Grand Dame was enjoyed. I then sat down in a completely empty restaurant to indulge in some rather mediocre mezze, salmon and some regional dessert that was quite disappointing. After some rest I headed to the spa and the relax room after.
I don't know if I visited on a bad day but I can't say I would be rushing back to the AS. I found the food to be unmemorable, staff were quite hit and miss and overall the place felt a bit lonely.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Anult10
I found the food to be unmemorable, staff were quite hit and miss and overall the place felt a bit lonely.
Welcome to Flyertalk, and may I say (after quite a few visits to Al Safwa), I think you've hit the nail on the head ... thrice!
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Have an upcoming flight on AA out of DOH in Business. I see that QR Business pax can pay to upgrade to Al Safwa. Has anyone had experience with doing so on other OW airlines? I’d like to experience the lounge once!
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Have an upcoming flight on AA out of DOH in Business. I see that QR Business pax can pay to upgrade to Al Safwa. Has anyone had experience with doing so on other OW airlines? I’d like to experience the lounge once!
Unfortunately you can't buy up to Al Safwa when flying with AA.
However, you could upgrade your AA flight to First and enter Al Safwa. If you are flying on non-QR, they would be admitting you because of a OW F class ticket where the upgrade restriction wouldn't apply.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
However, you could upgrade your AA flight to First and enter Al Safwa. If you are flying on non-QR, they would be admitting you because of a OW F class ticket where the upgrade restriction wouldn't apply.
Question after reading through a ton of these posts…. I have a ticket bought through AA, with two layovers. Flying First on AA on the first leg from SAN to DFW, then DFW to DOH on QR business, then QR business DOH to DPS. Would my first leg in First qualify for AS? I assume not. But worth asking. Either here and/or at the entrance!

Appreciate
it!
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ChiapC
Question after reading through a ton of these posts…. I have a ticket bought through AA, with two layovers. Flying First on AA on the first leg from SAN to DFW, then DFW to DOH on QR business, then QR business DOH to DPS. Would my first leg in First qualify for AS? I assume not. But worth asking. Either here and/or at the entrance!

Appreciate
it!
I'm not sure but you are flying QR flights to/from DOH so you might be able to buy up (I could on a QR business award flight issued by AA). I really doubt you domestic 3 hour flight would count - but that's a guess - I'm not an expert.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ChiapC

Appreciate
it!
I going to say no. While AA calls it "First" it's actually domestic business and the fare codes are all business (J,C,R,D,I) fare codes.

Now if one of your flights was in AA transcon 3-class F (LAX/SFO-BOS/JFK), then that would make for an interesting experiment and datapoint.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:41 am

Cabin class on domestic flights do not provide any additional entitlement to lounge access.

From the oneworld website:
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
So I just used an AA SWU to upgrade my partner from paid C to F on AA 121. He is able to access Al Safwa?

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.