Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by bigfatchocolatebar
I've always left tip at US lounges, both domestic and international. Polaris, Admiral, etc.
I could guess your country of residence. This is pretty much a US thing...
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: Some
Exclamation

Originally Posted by railways
I visited Al Safwa last week after the start of Ramadan. Alcohol was available, but not on display at the bar.

The section of the restaurant nearest the windows was closed for renovation. The remainder of the restaurant was full, with some people having to wait for tables. This was at the midnight peak. I've never seen the place so busy (relatively speaking) - but still an oasis of calm!
I would not consider having to wait for a table in Al Safwa (or any first class lounge) acceptable, personally. Let’s hope this was a start of Ramadan one off.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:45 am

Just wanted to confirm: short haul QR First awards do qualify for Al Safwa access? there is no business class DOH-DXB for example; but the first class award would grant me access on the way to Dubai, but on the return flight out of DOH in business class I would be able to pay for access?

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Apr 12, 2022 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Just wanted to confirm: short haul QR First awards do qualify for Al Safwa access? there is no business class DOH-DXB for example; but the first class award would grant me access on the way to Dubai, but on the return flight out of DOH in business class I would be able to pay for access?
Assuming that your ticket is a paid fare other than P, or a full redemption ticket and not an upgrade, then you should have access to Al Safwa both ways.

DOH-DXB always had access since F is F even for a 1hr flight and currently, they are allowing F->J connection (with first sector a short flight within GCC) into Al Safwa based on incoming flight in F.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
Assuming that your ticket is a paid fare other than P, or a full redemption ticket and not an upgrade, then you should have access to Al Safwa both ways.

DOH-DXB always had access since F is F even for a 1hr flight and currently, they are allowing F->J connection (with first sector a short flight within GCC) into Al Safwa based on incoming flight in F.
I thought someone said upthread that F->J connection when arriving on a longer flight in F over 5 hours (for example CDG-DOH in F), would grant AS access… if going on to New York with something like an 8 hour connection for example?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tofino87
I thought someone said upthread that F->J connection when arriving on a longer flight in F over 5 hours (for example CDG-DOH in F), would grant AS access… if going on to New York with something like an 8 hour connection for example?
F over 5 hours used to be the arrival rule pre-Covid, but since the re-opening of AS, they now seem to let anyone with an incoming F BP (subject to the usual fare/ticket restrictions) into AS, even short-haul F. It doesn't make any difference how long your onward flight in J is.
LilZeppelin, Tofino87 and gbongc like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Hi all, I've never been to Middle East, is tipping at lounges common?
While it is not customary to tip as it is in the US keep in mind these people in the lounges are all " Guest workers". I know most countries they are coming from. They support their families back home.I tipped the restroom attendant, she was from Nepal, and my waiter at the restaurant at Al Safwa. I can tell you, it was very much appreciated. A lot of people travel in luxury and spare no thought about staff in the service industry. And you find this attitude particularly in the Middle East.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by pbmac88
Is there a dress code in Al Safwa Lounge?
I am curious as to what you plan to wear that you are inquiring this. haha.
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
F over 5 hours used to be the arrival rule pre-Covid, but since the re-opening of AS, they now seem to let anyone with an incoming F BP (subject to the usual fare/ticket restrictions) into AS, even short-haul F. It doesn't make any difference how long your onward flight in J is.
That was probably why the AS agent confirmed to me that I upgraded my AUH-DOH to first class (as it would had also given us access if it was full redemption). We had access since our connecting flight was in business class (full redemption) and we had QR Platinum status.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Danny Martello
While it is not customary to tip as it is in the US keep in mind these people in the lounges are all " Guest workers". I know most countries they are coming from. They support their families back home.I tipped the restroom attendant, she was from Nepal, and my waiter at the restaurant at Al Safwa. I can tell you, it was very much appreciated. A lot of people travel in luxury and spare no thought about staff in the service industry. And you find this attitude particularly in the Middle East.
Fair enough. But given your concern for less well off families in Nepal, I wonder if you have considered boosting your donations to charities that benefit Nepalis in need of assistance. That seems to me preferable to boosting the income of a fortunate Nepali who has sought, and landed, employment in Qatar.

It won't create the same buzz as giving cash to appreciative individuals, but in the long term that cash might be better directed to good causes.

For example Chance for Nepal (https://www.chancefornepal.org) is a charity focussed on the needs of Nepal's children, and the importance of their well-being and education to economic development.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:40 am

Shouldn't one be free to tip who they want to, without being told that they should donate money to a charity instead? It's frankly a somewhat exhausting and paralysing line of thought which ironically most likely results in people doing nothing, rather than doing the thing that you're trying to promote (assuming that was the intent of the comment, rather than a passive chiding of the OP for the act of tipping itself).

Besides, he may well already donate to the causes that he sees fit.
rosenkavalier likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I've always left tip at US lounges, both domestic and international. Polaris, Admiral, etc.
Gosh please leave those habits on that side of the Atlantic and don’t impose that culture on the rest of the world. It is perfectly fine as it is.

Originally Posted by pbmac88
Is there a dress code in Al Safwa Lounge?
Yes, suit and tie at a minimum…

Is it just me or has the obsession with Al Safwa gone completely off the rails?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Shouldn't one be free to tip who they want to, without being told that they should donate money to a charity instead?
That's a very high horse you rode into the thread

There are so many flaws to my own character that I would never presume to tell others what to do. I merely suggest for consideration another form of financial aid, less direct than one outlined by the OP, but perhaps more effective and leaving the donor's generosity of spirit less open to abuse.

Donations via charitable organisations and tipping are not binary choices.

It's frankly a somewhat exhausting and paralysing line of thought which ironically most likely results in people doing nothing, rather than doing the thing that you're trying to promote (assuming that was the intent of the comment, rather than a passive chiding of the OP for the act of tipping itself).
That's quite a convoluted analysis. The hidden motivation you can attribute to my post is promotion of a charity I support.

Besides, he may well already donate to the causes that he sees fit.
If you read my post with a little more care, you might see I embrace the notion that the OP already supports charities.
estnet likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SKT-DK

Along with the first class on the Qathay 777s to MLE.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
QR is gradually letting more and more people in, so I guess it’s not surprising that there is more interest in the lounge now. Also perhaps it’s partly down to the sad deterioration of the experience in Al Mourjan at peak transfer times - I already hated it enough pre-COVID to completely avoid it and sounds like if anything it’s even worse now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.