Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:52 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I know QR's programme is full of quirks, for example not being able to use Q credits to upgrade to J (from paid Y) when only the double points (Avios) redemption option available on the flight but is it possible to upgrade to F (from paid J), when using Avios, even when there's only the double points redemption option available on the flight?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:17 pm

sorry for the repetitive question but I can’t tell from reading back through the thread. I see multiple posts citing the ticketed airlines on the reservation playing a part in the access to Al Safwa, but Im not sure if that’s for all cases or only regarding paid access. I have an avios booking made through BA (125 ticket) going from IAD-DOH-KWI on U and Z fares. Do I have access? TIA.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
I know QR's programme is full of quirks, for example not being able to use Q credits to upgrade to J (from paid Y) when only the double points (Avios) redemption option available on the flight but is it possible to upgrade to F (from paid J), when using Avios, even when there's only the double points redemption option available on the flight?
2x points availability only applies to full redemption, not upgrades, which can only use Z or U space.

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
sorry for the repetitive question but I can’t tell from reading back through the thread. I see multiple posts citing the ticketed airlines on the reservation playing a part in the access to Al Safwa, but Im not sure if that’s for all cases or only regarding paid access. I have an avios booking made through BA (125 ticket) going from IAD-DOH-KWI on U and Z fares. Do I have access? TIA.
If you have a redemption ticketed in the correct cabin (Z departure or Z arrival with U departure) then the ticketing airline doesn't matter. It's only specific scenarios such as paid upgrade for access which appears to introduce the ticketing airline complications.
NoY and Flamenguista like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:27 am

Dress Code

Is there a dress code in Al Safwa Lounge?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Was able to book a quiet room during our visit last Sunday. Arrived around 2am and the lounge was very quiet. Was told maximum use of 6 hours. Our connecting flight was at 8:20am anyway so we woke up for breakfast around 6am. Did not try to have something from the a la carte menu when we came and went straight to bed so was not able to check out the offering. Breakfast offering was okay but nothing like what Emirates F class lounge in Dubai offers.

Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:27 am

Hi all, I've never been to Middle East, is tipping at lounges common?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by bigfatchocolatebar
There's no need to tip. Writing a complement to QR with the staff's name would be better.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by bigfatchocolatebar
In which country do you tip at lounges ? Assuming you mean a business class lounge and not something like Amex Centurion
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:38 am

Thank you!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:42 am

I've always left tip at US lounges, both domestic and international. Polaris, Admiral, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:29 pm

I purchased a business class ticket on qatar (I class) both segments. On my ORD - NBO segment, I have the option to purchase al safwa access but my layover is only 1.5 hours. on the way back SEZ - ORD, my layover is over 7 hours but I don't have the option to purchase al safwa. Is this just a glitch?
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Wanderwithme
I purchased a business class ticket on qatar (I class) both segments. On my ORD - NBO segment, I have the option to purchase al safwa access but my layover is only 1.5 hours. on the way back SEZ - ORD, my layover is over 7 hours but I don't have the option to purchase al safwa. Is this just a glitch?
It might be a glitch, just show up at the Al Safwa entrance and pay for entry with your credit card over there.
Other than the time saving factor, there is no advantage of pre-purchasing lounge access.
Wanderwithme likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:56 pm

I visited Al Safwa last week after the start of Ramadan. Alcohol was available, but not on display at the bar.

The section of the restaurant nearest the windows was closed for renovation. The remainder of the restaurant was full, with some people having to wait for tables. This was at the midnight peak. I've never seen the place so busy (relatively speaking) - but still an oasis of calm!
Wanderwithme likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It might be a glitch, just show up at the Al Safwa entrance and pay for entry with your credit card over there.
Other than the time saving factor, there is no advantage of pre-purchasing lounge access.
Is it still discounted whether you pay at entrance or pre-purchase?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Wanderwithme
I had this issue today - the Al Safwa upgrade option was showing on my inbound booking but not outbound. Eventually the outbound was confirmed and I was able to purchase it, but it took three calls to Qatar who were having issues with their payment system, and several hours to resolve. Long story short, access is probably available even if it’s not showing on your booking, but unless you have a lot of time and patience to call QR, you’re probably better paying on the door. Good luck!
Wanderwithme likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.