Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by seantheman
Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but If I were to take the paid upgrade option from economy to business, as a platinum member, would this give me Al Safwa access?
No
Old May 2, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by kl1987
No
Thought as much, amazing how hard it is to get a direct answer from QR.

Anyway, glad I didn't pull the trigger as there was an aircraft change shortly after I posted!
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by seantheman
Thought as much, amazing how hard it is to get a direct answer from QR.!
Humm, the direct answer from QR is "Yes"

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/loun...wa-lounge.html

In addition to First Class passengers, Privilege Club Platinum members travelling Business Class with Qatar Airways can now access Al Safwa First Class Lounge with up to two guest passes.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:03 am

I've had 2 yes, and 2 no from different agents. I've quoted that exact sentence from the website to them, but they come back with some vague stuff about fare buckets etc...Why is this so hard lol? It doesn't matter now as i certainly wont be upgrading without Qsuite (the flight is tomorrow), however it would be nice to know for future...I'd love to get into Al Safwa before my platinum expires.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:17 am

Paid and redemption tickets in J yes.

Upgraded to J no.

This has not changed since before covid as far I am aware.
seantheman and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:18 pm

Been here a few hours now, since evening of May 2 now morning of May 3….all alcohol bottles are back on display. Were they ever really put away?

Old May 2, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
That's because Ramadhan is over. Eid is 2 May. Bottles were definitely not there when I visited in April.
Wanderwithme likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
That's because Ramadhan is over. Eid is 2 May. Bottles were definitely not there when I visited in April.
yes exactly, my point is they were very fast in setting things up again
Old May 3, 2022, 12:57 am

So I enjoyed my first time at AS (paid business class ticket then purchased the lounge access on MMB). Here are some things in case people who are interested in going and haven’t yet.

I actually arrived around 11 pm and left at around 8 am. So that’s 9 hours…no one came to kick me out after the 6 hour limit

So from the start, it took like 10-15 mins for the workers at the reception to figure out that I had purchased access. You would think once you purchase it online in advance, they can just scan your boarding pass and it would show up. But at first the man actually tried to redirect me to AM even though I mentioned downstairs I had purchased access. He then took like 15 min doing idk what on the computer and then let me in. Weird.

At 11 pm all the sleep rooms were taken. I came back at around 130 am and there were rooms available. The person there said I could basically keep the room until my boarding time around 8 am. I think perhaps this is the reason why I wasn’t kicked out after 6 hours of entering the lounge…it would be awkward for them to come knock on my room to tell me times up, especially after the guy at the spa said I could keep it til boarding time

So before I got the room (when it was unavailable) I asked for a shower which was available then headed to have a late dinner at the restaurant after. I do think it’s strange how some of the showers don’t have a private toilet like the AM ones do. My colleague also got a shower and his did have a toilet.

Food was good. The menu just changed although they didn’t have the Rare champagne 2006 listed, they had GD 06. Service is good although it’s worth mentioning for people who are picky, don’t expect 5 start restaurant waiting service. As in the staff would come and instead of serving things on your right side they would stretch their arm across the table to serve things. Also they aren’t so knowledgeable with the wine list, after my glass of champagne I wanted to switch to a white wine and when I ordered the waiter thought the wine I wanted was the same champagne I was already having

But overall I loved my stay especially since k stayed longer than I thought…and even during peak time around 11 pm - 12 am…the lounge is soooo quiet. The only thing that gets taken are the sleeping rooms. Also there was hardly anyone at the dining area. It’s definitely worth the price over going to the noisy chaos at AM.
Traveller999 and Loungeabout like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NickRivas
Food was good. The menu just changed although they didn’t have the Rare champagne 2006 listed, they had GD 06. Service is good although it’s worth mentioning for people who are picky, don’t expect 5 start restaurant waiting service. As in the staff would come and instead of serving things on your right side they would stretch their arm across the table to serve things. Also they aren’t so knowledgeable with the wine list, after my glass of champagne I wanted to switch to a white wine and when I ordered the waiter thought the wine I wanted was the same champagne I was already having
It's an airport waiting-room. OK a rather nice version of a waiting-room, but nonetheless a waiting-room

Folk are paying something over $100 to get in. In return they receive any combination of cocktails, showers, beds, dinner, premium brands of champagne: all delivered in a quite stunning environment. Staff are trained, but maybe not to the most exacting standards: they are nervous because getting things wrong can carry severe repercussions, and they're likely working in a language that is not their mother-tongue.

Let's hope lounge visitors can forgive occasional lapses in service, and misunderstandings taking orders.
estnet, Paella747, SKT-DK and 5 others like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's an airport waiting-room. OK a rather nice version of a waiting-room, but nonetheless a waiting-room

Folk are paying something over $100 to get in. In return they receive any combination of cocktails, showers, beds, dinner, premium brands of champagne: all delivered in a quite stunning environment. Staff are trained, but maybe not to the most exacting standards: they are nervous because getting things wrong can carry severe repercussions, and they're likely working in a language that is not their mother-tongue.

Let's hope lounge visitors can forgive occasional lapses in service, and misunderstandings taking orders.
Yea, from now on if not on a F ticket I’ll be purchasing access to AS from a business ticket, cause AM will feel 100x worse now

Somehow I’m oddly flattered for being the youngest person in the lounge, with all these daddies around lol
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:17 am

So I enjoyed my first time at AS (paid business class ticket then purchased the lounge access on MMB). Here are some things in case people who are interested in going and haven’t yet.

I actually arrived around 11 pm and left at around 8 am. So that’s 9 hours…no one came to kick me out after the 6 hour limit

So from the start, it took like 10-15 mins for the workers at the reception to figure out that I had purchased access. You would think once you purchase it online in advance, they can just scan your boarding pass and it would show up. But at first the man actually tried to redirect me to AM even though I mentioned downstairs I had purchased access. He then took like 15 min doing idk what on the computer and then let me in. Weird.

At 11 pm all the sleep rooms were taken. I came back at around 130 am and there were rooms available. The person there said I could basically keep the room until my boarding time around 8 am. I think perhaps this is the reason why I wasn’t kicked out after 6 hours of entering the lounge…it would be awkward for them to come knock on my room to tell me times up, especially after the guy at the spa said I could keep it til boarding time

So before I got the room (when it was unavailable) I asked for a shower which was available then headed to have a late dinner at the restaurant after. I do think it’s strange how some of the showers don’t have a private toilet like the AM ones do. My colleague also got a shower and his did have a toilet.

But overall I loved my stay especially since k stayed longer than I thought…and even during peak time around 11 pm - 12 am…the lounge is soooo quiet. The only thing that gets taken are the sleeping rooms. Also there was hardly anyone at the dining area. It’s definitely worth the price over going to the noisy chaos at AM.
Out if interest, how long does it take from landing to get to the lounge and then the same for leaving and getting to boarding? I have a 7.5 hour layover so just curious as I'd like to maximise my time there.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adni321
Out if interest, how long does it take from landing to get to the lounge and then the same for leaving and getting to boarding? I have a 7.5 hour layover so just curious as I'd like to maximise my time there.
Would you not think that highly depends on your arrival/departure gate?!
Old May 3, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Yea, from now on if not on a F ticket I’ll be purchasing access to AS from a business ticket, cause AM will feel 100x worse now
The airline was initially rigorous in maintaining the lounge solely for those paying considerably more for tickets than business-class fares. I guess the fading away of long-haul F, and shrinking regional network frequencies, opened the opportunity to milk the facility as a revenue stream.

I'm not sure how sustainable that model will be long-term, but unless F-travel recovers, I reckon something will have to give: either the facility and its services will be downgraded towards al Mourjan standards, or entry costs will increase significantly. Either way, maybe you'd best make the most of the current situation while it lasts
Traveller999 and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Would you not think that highly depends on your arrival/departure gate?!
Fair point - last time I was in Doha was over 10 years ago and it was at the old airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.