Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: SE+, OWS
Hey guys, anyone here with recent experience getting the room? I will be arriving as 12:05am, and I am kinda worried about the availability.. Would love to know, how many rooms do they even have? Thanks!
Old May 27, 2022, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by fridgy
Hey guys, anyone here with recent experience getting the room? I will be arriving as 12:05am, and I am kinda worried about the availability.. Would love to know, how many rooms do they even have? Thanks!
I believe it's about 12, some single, some double/twin.

Nobody can accurately predict whether you will find availability on the date/time you travel. If you have a long transfer the safest bet for a bed is to book the hotel.
fridgy likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by fridgy
Since they started flogging entry, it didn't take long for the world to understand that the lounge offered a far cheaper bed than the hotel, with the bonus of complimentary drinks, dinner and breakfast. That puts pressure on the availability of bedrooms, and midnight is a difficult time.

There are some compromise "family rooms" further on from the spa, to the right. Although these rooms are supposed to be reserved for families to relax in, I've been assigned to them and slept (not-too-well) on the couches they're equipped with. I've also decamped from AS to al Mourjan and its "quiet rooms".
Old May 28, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Since they started flogging entry, it didn't take long for the world to understand that the lounge offered a far cheaper bed than the hotel, with the bonus of complimentary drinks, dinner and breakfast. That puts pressure on the availability of bedrooms, and midnight is a difficult time.

There are some compromise "family rooms" further on from the spa, to the right. Although these rooms are supposed to be reserved for families to relax in, I've been assigned to them and slept (not-too-well) on the couches they're equipped with. I've also decamped from AS to al Mourjan and its "quiet rooms".
Completely agree, since they let every man and his dog in who wants to pay, it has become annoying - and I have been told over-night is virtually impossible. Arriving early morning from a short overnight flight with a long day-time connection, both in F, we had to wait from 6am until 8:30am to get a room because people use it as a hotel.

Last time I tried for the family section which was empty and still allows for food and drink (as opposed to the rooms) but this was disturbed by shouting and what not from downstairs as it is open air to the rest of the terminal, so I gave up
Old May 28, 2022, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Indeed, "First Class" has been eroded. Perhaps once they open the new J lounge things will change, but it is clear just from this forum that people are buying the bed rather than the lounge. Perhaps upping entry to match the cost of the hotel (or restricting the beds to F pax) will help...
​​
SKT-DK and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KingCanute
Indeed, "First Class" has been eroded. Perhaps once they open the new J lounge things will change, but it is clear just from this forum that people are buying the bed rather than the lounge. Perhaps upping entry to match the cost of the hotel (or restricting the beds to F pax) will help...
​​
Not just the bed, but also full-board in terms of food and drinks..

But you are right, one can only hope things will improve! I think your suggestion of restricting the bedrooms to only pax granted entry by virtue of their ticketed far and not paid entry makes very good sense (should exclude status pax in Y/J too!).
KingCanute likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Not just the bed, but also full-board in terms of food and drinks..

But you are right, one can only hope things will improve! I think your suggestion of restricting the bedrooms to only pax granted entry by virtue of their ticketed far and not paid entry makes very good sense (should exclude status pax in Y/J too!).
There's an established tradition in FT on suggesting access limits just one rung below the level of the proposer

But there's something to be said for limiting access to a scarce resource (the bedrooms) to passengers with some level of commercial importance to the airline: that, after all, was why those facilties were provided. I know that sounds elitist, but it's a distinction I can accept when I'm on the wrong side of a limit.

However I'm happy to see a wider group of passengers enjoy the other Safwa benefits: the place needs a degree of hustle and bustle to humanise the rather stark environment.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

With the increased demand, raising the entry fee would not be unreasonable. Or maybe exclude pay-for-entry guests from access to the sleep rooms.
fridgy likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
"There's an established tradition in FT on suggesting access limits just one rung below the level of the proposer " TOO TRUE!!!! LOL
Sandy Hopper and vsadda like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Silver
I booked a business comfort fare in November, I expected access to the AM business lounge but when I click transit lounges included in manage my booking it also has a green included tick next to Qatar airways first class lounge with “you are eligible to access this lounge for free”. Is this right? I wasn’t expecting access to the first class lounge on a comfort business fare?

Last edited by I2sky; May 30, 2022 at 2:33 am
Old May 30, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by I2sky
I booked a business comfort fare in November, I expected access to the AM business lounge but when I click transit lounges included in manage my booking it also has a green included tick next to Qatar airways first class lounge with “you are eligible to access this lounge for free”. Is this right? I wasn’t expecting access to the first class lounge on a comfort business fare?
Are you OWE? The First Class Lounge mentioned is the status lounge for QR Plats and OWE's in Y and P (business lite).
It is not the Al Safwa First Class Lounge which is the actual first class lounge.
estnet and I2sky like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kl1987
Are you OWE? The First Class Lounge mentioned is the status lounge for QR Plats and OWE's in Y and P (business lite).
It is not the Al Safwa First Class Lounge which is the actual first class lounge.
Thanks! That explains it, did think it was too good to be true! I’ll check out the reviews for it but likely stick with the AM business lounge.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry - duplicate !

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 31, 2022 at 6:22 am Reason: oops!
Old May 31, 2022, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I2sky
Thanks! That explains it, did think it was too good to be true! I’ll check out the reviews for it but likely stick with the AM business lounge.
The First Class Lounge suffers only in comparison to the Mourjan and Safwa facilities. It's a friendly space with an OK buffet, showers and comfortable seating - though it can get swamped in peak periods. On a short connection i favour it over Mourjan because its size makes it quick and easy to get a coffee/cold drink.
babyg_wc and I2sky like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:16 am

Got to have my in turn in Al Safwa yesterday and found it decent. Paid for access as I was flying business but had 7.5 hour layover (which became just over 8 hours due to the first flight coming in 45 mins early).

Got into the lounge at 5am. The staff member at the desk said I have 6 hours access and if I'd like to go in now or later. I went in there and then because towards the end I would leave early for boarding anyway. However, the time limit was never enforced or checked. Once you are in, nobody checks your pass. There were a moderate amount of people in there from 5-7am but nothing too busy. 7am to 12pm was very very quiet. Probably less than 10 passengers around at all times so it was very nice and quiet. Didn't want to sleep to adjust to my destination timings but got a shower easy enough. I believe they are by the Spa but those weren't available and I was directed to the family area where the toilets have a shower room. Mostly spent my time sitting in the pods relaxing and getting some work done. Overall, pretty happy with it and it made the long layover tolerable. Baggage lockers are a nice touch too so I could at least keep one of my pieces of hand luggage out the way.

My only very slight gripe (and very much a first world problem) would be that having some staff roaming around more frequently would be nice to check and see if you need anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.