Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by dayone
What are "the new rules"?
“New” from when AS re-opened and started allowing AS access for short-haul F to J. Before AS closed there was a circa 6 hour minimum limit on flight length for F to J access (to exclude arrival access for all but the actual F, on the A380 routes).
dayone likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:24 pm

I can second that! The last couple of month I had no problem whatsoever to enter Al Safwa arriving in F from CAI and DXB,
onward travel in business.
Today ex CAI again no issued at all and scored room before my long LAX flight:-)

But of course with Qatar policies could change any second…..
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by mfreezer
I can second that! The last couple of month I had no problem whatsoever to enter Al Safwa arriving in F from CAI and DXB,
onward travel in business.
Today ex CAI again no issued at all and scored room before my long LAX flight:-)

But of course with Qatar policies could change any second…..
Hey mfreezer, just wondered what flight numbers you were on? I’m guessing QR1304 (edit) & QR741 if you managed to get AS access and a room?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
So with walking there and to your gate, queuing at reception, you’ll get around 2 hours in the lounge. The value is premium alcohol, better a la carte, and of course not as packed as AM. The value… how many bottles of LDG can you drink in 2 hours?
We had a similar length of layover (I think 3hr 15m) in the evening and I wanted to 'go for it' as it was dinner time, to have something to eat and a few nice drinks, along with a quick shower to refresh. I planning to purchase access x2 pax.

Our inbound was maybe 20 minutes late and then the lounge manager spent maybe 3-4 minutes tapping away before spending another 5 minutes trying to convince me that we should just go to AM because of the length of our layover. I mentioned I was still keen to purchase entry, so we were then walked to a desk inside the lounge to process the transaction (say another 5 minutes). Then he spent maybe 5 more minutes explaining the various amenities.

It was a shame that my other half had to work for about an hour as well, as he said the onboard wifi wasn't good enough to do his work (via citrix unfortunately); so I showered, drank and had some mezze while he worked, and we then had a drink together.

The Champagne was very nice, but the true highlight for me was the Château Ducru-Beaucaillou 2008 which was delicious.

The menu looks to have a bit more on it than it did a few weeks ago, which is good, as it was fairly limited then, though as others have said the food is fairly average compared to the rest of the lounge nowadays.

I'm glad I had the experience, though in the same situation again think we'd just go to AM. Luckily our next QR trip has the second leg in F so we should be allowed in more quickly, and we have a slightly longer layover. Also no laptops will be allowed
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Hey mfreezer, just wondered what flight numbers you were on? I’m guessing QR1304 (edit) & QR741 if you managed to get AS access and a room?
Exactly 1304 and now currently 741, 5h to go!

yeah they definitely updated the menu somewhat! More options, much quicker service if needed and also quality seems a little better.

Overall a great experience, however if you don’t want a room and only try the food, I might do it once but AM is sufficient for that.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Just to add a few experiences, as I think there may be a bit of uncertainty about long transfers or redemption tickets. Last week I took two flights with redemption tickets (Avios, AsiaMiles): MAN-DOH-MLE (J-F), HKG-DOH-MLE (J-F), no problems with Al Safwa lounge access. The MAN-DOH, DOH-MLE connection was a long one (7 hours 45 minutes) and again, no comments made about long connections, award tickets or similar (and it wasn't the shortest logical connection by the time the flight was taken, originally when booked it was, but by the time we flew there was a different Manchester flight that had a 1hr 45 minute transfer, but no award seats).

As an extra perk, and to be aware of, there is a "direct to gate", lounge boarding available at the moment... It was either gate C23 or C26 - you can get a bus from the lounge directly on the DOH-MLE flights, which is a nice accelerator and just involves going down a lift.

My experience of the lounge was that it's very nice, but honestly the Al Mourjan is very good anyway and I wouldn't be paying an extra USD150pp to get in here personally, even if the family rooms were a great alternative for light sleeping too.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Just for clarification, my wife and I are flying DXB > DOH in F next week and then DOH > PHL in J.

We should have access to Al Sawfa, despite having a short F segment?

If not, it’s fine as well. I like the Al Mourjan just fine and it’s only a 2:15 min layover.
fridgy likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Chewie
Just for clarification, my wife and I are flying DXB > DOH in F next week and then DOH > PHL in J.
We should have access to Al Sawfa, despite having a short F segment?
If not, it’s fine as well. I like the Al Mourjan just fine and it’s only a 2:15 min layover.
According to latest feedback you should get an access to Al Safwa. I did not find Al Safwa to be something extraordinary, just less people. Al Mourjan is the world best business class lounge.

Last edited by Jaenks; Jun 24, 2022 at 4:31 pm
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:33 pm

Did not knew that I recently visited in DOH Alaska Airways(AS) and Aeromexico(AM) lounges. At least Aeromexico lounge did not have any Mexican food.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Al Mourjan is the world best business class lounge.
Personal opinion of course - Some CX or TK home airports' J lounges at least are equal or better. Al mourjan is just being HUGE in size (but TK lounge at the old IST airport is also very big, and far more pleasant to spend time there.)
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Personal opinion of course - Some CX or TK home airports' J lounges at least are equal or better. Al mourjan is just being HUGE in size (but TK lounge at the old IST airport is also very big, and far more pleasant to spend time there.)
Yes, of course personal. There are two things that I prefer in TK lounges, barista made coffee and baklava selection. What bothers me is the same menu over the decades, years ago there were a theme food station where a different cuisine main meal was prepread. Have not been in CX J lounges long time due to the OWE status. If I can choose one business lounge to be in, that would be Al Mourjan.
Al Safwa is really nice lounge but the difference with Al Mourjan is not that big that would worth efforts to be there IMHO.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Yes, of course personal. There are two things that I prefer in TK lounges, barista made coffee and baklava selection. What bothers me is the same menu over the decades, years ago there were a theme food station where a different cuisine main meal was prepread. Have not been in CX J lounges long time due to the OWE status. If I can choose one business lounge to be in, that would be Al Mourjan.
Al Safwa is really nice lounge but the difference with Al Mourjan is not that big that would worth efforts to be there IMHO.
I do really enjoy the AM business lounge. Im there often on my PHL>DOH>BLR trips.

Just wanted to check out AS First lounge once. As I said, only about 90 minutes in the lounge. Enough for my wife to get some of her candy protein champagne and maybe a bite to eat.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:40 pm

I am flying London - KL, via DOH in business elite. It is saying on the manage my booking page that I will have access to the Al Sawa lounge. Is this right?

Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:24 am

My flight arrive at 6am and depart a 2 am the next day. I intended to booked it this way, so I can explore Doha for a day. Can I go to the lounge when I arrive then go to Doha and come back and go to the lounge again? My ticket is Z award ticket redeemed on AA.

Just curious if I can go to AM lounge with my F ticket?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:45 am

Ok if I understand correctly, the outbound short flights around the ME do get AS access because they're marked as F even if it's the typical business seat on a 787 or 777. For inbound F fights, they must have been 5 hours or more to get access if your next flight is marked J.

So in my case:

VIE-DOH-MCT does get access because the DOH-MCT segment is marked as F

MCT-DOH-VIE does not because the F flight from MCT is only 1 hour

Is that correct? Also if it's an award ticket J/F it still gets access on the first part right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.