Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've given up attempting to parse QR's lounge access rules: I go where their computers send me. Though there's a clear ranking of lounges, none of them are uncomfortable places to spend some time.

I really wouldn't worry so much. Even if you are set on getting a Safwa bedroom, the dice aren't loaded in your favour. On a recent trip I was shovelled into Safwa, Mourjan and the new Platinum lounge. All were fine, though it was the platinum facility that surprised me most. We started there with only a handful of guests then rolled through the 11pm rush hour while service from the team manning the lounge remained top-notch.
Yea I mean I am usually not too worried about it, have spent 10 hours at AM and it's still a nice place but this time my layover is 20 hours so getting a real bed would have been nice..
Anyway I got an answer from QR's WhatsApp chat confirming the access would only be given if you're flying QR metal

I'd probably go out to the city for the day and come back in the evening to check out the new platinum lounge.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dev1l
Yea I mean I am usually not too worried about it, have spent 10 hours at AM and it's still a nice place but this time my layover is 20 hours so getting a real bed would have been nice..
Anyway I got an answer from QR's WhatsApp chat confirming the access would only be given if you're flying QR metal

I'd probably go out to the city for the day and come back in the evening to check out the new platinum lounge.
I reckon that's the best call. 20 hours in any lounge would be way too long. And if it's down to paying for Safwa in 6-hour instalments your investment in comfort will go much further in a hotel
Traveller999 and Dev1l like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Gold, BAEC, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Just to clarify this 100%….

I had an award booking CDG-DOH-AKL.

The A380 was removed from CDG-DOH, managed to get a rebooking ZRH-DOH-AKL.

The rebooked fares are ZRH-DOH (F) and then DOH-AKL (P).

I haven’t been able to select seats for the second segment - the website has been trying to charge me. Spoke to privilege club - they’ve managed to assign my seat for me, no charge.

They've assured me on the phone that I’ll also have lounge access in Doha (I’m not so sure on a ‘P’ class segment?), but my bigger concern is, even if lounge access is granted on an onward P booking, is that likely to be restricted to Al Mourjan, instead of Al Safwa?

My experience earlier this summer on a Z (first) to U (business) award booking, arriving just before midnight, was that they gave Al Safwa access, for 8h30m.
You will have access to Al Safwa.

Seems like in 2022 Al Safwa access is granted if you either arrive into DOH in F or depart from DOH in F. I don't think the onward flight has anything to do with the matter

In my anecdotal experience, my wife and I travelled recently from DXB - DOH (in F) followed by an 18 hour layover and then onwards DOH - CGK (in J) and we had access to the lounge with no issues. I also had friends arriving in F and departing on an economy flight and still had access to AS.
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
So how does one actually pay for it? We'll be flying back MLE-DOH-SEA in paid business with a very long layover in DOH. We originally booked Park Hyatt in Doha for overnight based on the experience we had in May that tests are not needed to enter Qatar for less than 24 hours. Apparently rules have changed now and one needs a negative test which at St Regis Maldives costs 120 bucks. Given the cost of the hotel this becomes awfully competitive with paying 165 for the lounge and sleeping in on the rooms or getting the airport hotel - although I'm really apprehensive of paying 380 bucks for a hotel that looks worse than Moxy!
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by outgoing
…..Given the cost of the hotel this becomes awfully competitive with paying 165 for the lounge and sleeping in on the rooms or getting the airport hotel - although I'm really apprehensive of paying 380 bucks for a hotel that looks worse than Moxy!
"Getting one of the rooms" is easier said than done; you can't reserve one, demand is high but the supply is limited. QR might, or might not, apply its 6-hour rule for paid access; might not even be in the mood to accept paying guests. So it's probably better not to bank on Safwa for accommodation.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Marriott Ambassador
Sorry - posted in the wrong thread!
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
"Getting one of the rooms" is easier said than done; you can't reserve one, demand is high but the supply is limited. QR might, or might not, apply its 6-hour rule for paid access; might not even be in the mood to accept paying guests. So it's probably better not to bank on Safwa for accommodation.
Ohhh, what a joy. How I hate places with opaque rules Thanks for the heads up though. I will look for other options. One thing I can report from todays SEA-DOH is that crew was lovely!
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am arriving from Zurich in First Class at 10pm and continuing the next day in economy class. Will I get access to Al Safwa based on my connecting flight? I do hold Platinum status with Qatar Airways if that is of any help.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, Flying Blue Gold, MH Enrich Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Here’s an interesting data point…

Not allowed in Al Safwa as a transit passenger on a Qatar Airways issued ticket in Business C class on AMS-DOH-KUL as a Platinum Privilege Club member because despite being on a Qatar Airways flight number, the DOH-KUL leg was operated by MH. Despite being on a QR ticket and QR marketed flight number, they would strictly not allow due to the operator not being Qatar!

Even more frustrating, I was originally booked on a QR operated flight, but they amended the booking as since recently, 2 out of the 3 daily flights between DOH and KUL are operated by MH… which significantly devalues the benefit of being a platinum member given this stupid rule.

And to add salt to the wound, I misconnected due to delayed arrival from AMS and ended up having to spend 7 hours on transit in DOH. Despite those circumstances, no manager felt empowered to give access! Overall, a huge disappointment, and will reconsider QR for my monthly trips to Asia.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingYan

Not allowed in Al Safwa as a transit passenger on a Qatar Airways issued ticket in Business C class on AMS-DOH-KUL as a Platinum Privilege Club member because despite being on a Qatar Airways flight number, the DOH-KUL leg was operated by MH. Despite being on a QR ticket and QR marketed flight number, they would strictly not allow due to the operator not being Qatar!

Even more frustrating, I was originally booked on a QR operated flight, but they amended the booking as since recently, 2 out of the 3 daily flights between DOH and KUL are operated by MH… which significantly devalues the benefit of being a platinum member given this stupid rule.

And to add salt to the wound, I misconnected due to delayed arrival from AMS and ended up having to spend 7 hours on transit in DOH. Despite those circumstances, no manager felt empowered to give access! Overall, a huge disappointment, and will reconsider QR for my monthly trips to Asia.
Yeap same experience a couple of months ago when I was on my way back. Asked for manager, offered to pay but still denied access.
In order to receive this benefit, you must be flying QR metal.

Being based out of KUL, it's certainly frustrating seeing that QR has reduced their frequency and now mostly depend on MH metal to fly between KUL and Doha, certainly a downgrade.
FlyingYan and Loungeabout like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
Originally Posted by FlyingYan
I hate QR when it goes to situations like this. They NEVER waive anything. They are always so strict about the rules because they are scared of getting fired. Youre a platinum on QR flight number, ... cant they make exception... sorry about that mate.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Another little data point from me,
Flew ZRH-DOH in F (QR reward booking), connecting the next day DOH-SIN in J (QR reward booking, through ticket, same PNR). Was initially told no access after a scan of my onward boarding pass (I had handed them both my inbound and onward passes). I politely made the point that I was F inbound. Lounge supervisor had to apply an override in the system at the reception desk.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by surryson
Another little data point from me,
Flew ZRH-DOH in F (QR reward booking), connecting the next day DOH-SIN in J (QR reward booking, through ticket, same PNR). Was initially told no access after a scan of my onward boarding pass (I had handed them both my inbound and onward passes). I politely made the point that I was F inbound. Lounge supervisor had to apply an override in the system at the reception desk.
were they really pushing for you not to have access? Or was it as easy as pointing out the inbound class of travel?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:19 am
PB2

As mentioned in another thread - just a quick post to note firstly that on a BAEC Avios reward (QR flight number) ticket DOH-ZRH in First, no issues at all entering Al Safwa.

VC La Grande Dame has been replaced by Charles Heidsieck Brut (as served in Qatar Business MAD-DOH on Friday) in the Al Safwa lounge though. Al Safwa did still serve an excellent 2008 Bordeaux - and Krug 2004 remains on board in First. Very spacious product on the leased Cathay 777, on the ZRH route, albeit I’ve not flown 380 QR First to directly compare.

Not sure if this link is updated as/if the menu changes, but it was the QR code from a week ago in Al Safwa:

https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Interesting to hear if the lounge champagne “downgrade” is permanent.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Hoping to get a sleeping room on a 12-hour connection. Probably between 6pm and midnight. Is that a busy time or outside of the rush?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.