Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
I've just booked an award flight with BA in First class BKK-DOH-CAI. I was sitting back dreaming about my long connection in the lounge before I remembered someone saying that award tickets don't include lounge access.

Is that correct? I have a OW Sapphire card. Can I get into the QR Premium lounge in BKK?

Thanks so much!
First Class award tickets get access to the Al Safwa if travelling in first... (assuming you didnt upgrade an existing fare)
shefgab and PB2 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LeonS
We (2 of us) will be transiting through Doha next week. First flight lands shortly before midnight, second flight departs about 8 hours later.

As seemingly others before us, we are wondering if we should attempt to get a room with 2 beds at the Al Safwa (we’d need to pay the $165 x 2), or instead go straight to the Oryx hotel (cheapest selling room as of now at ~350). We couldn’t stay at the hotel at the hotel more than 6 hours anyway given the schedule; seems like the lounge option would in theory make more sense for us.

How are the odds looking these days to get a room with two beds at the lounge?
If you take a purely functional approach, simply seeking a restricted but comfortable and private space with a bed, you might consider the Sleep n Fly lounge. Last time I looked, a double "sleep n fly" pod would set you back somewhere $150 and $200: I think there's a discounted rate if you rock up without a reservation.

It's not really a lounge, there are no other facilities other than the sleeping pods, so it might be best to consider their use in conjunction with lounge access.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
First Class award tickets get access to the Al Safwa if travelling in first... (assuming you didnt upgrade an existing fare)
Excellent, thank you 👍🏻
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:42 am

Hello all, apologies for the simple question, a bit lost in all the different restrictions on entry. I'm flying out of DOH in business to CDG, on a miles redemption ticket. As a platinum member, can I get into Al Safwa? Never experienced this lounge before!
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:05 am

Yes, Plats on a redemption ticket in J get access to AS.
SullyofDoha and seantheman like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:56 am

Another one for you, how about if I'm platinum, flying QR J, but ticketed by BA (not redemption)? This lounge access is going to define what fare i go for!

Last edited by seantheman; Sep 24, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Booked an AMS - DOH - HKT r/t for October, in business class. Had the option to purchase Al Safwa access on line during the booking process for the outbound,, but not the return. Called to inquire - was told that this was because the outbound was in "C" and the return was in "R", and if I upgraded (paid the fare difference) to change from R to C, I would have that option. I did so, and still didn't get the option. Called back and was told I was advised incorrectly, that likely the lounge is at capacity for that day and not eligible for access, and that the "upgrade"/fare difference is non-refundable, and I should contact customer service regarding the refund. Called back later to be told that I was again advised incorrectly, that I was right to "upgrade" the fare and that would make the ticket eligible for access, and not to ask for a refund, but to go to the Al Safwa lounge on the day and they should allow me to purchase access there & then.

All a bit odd....
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:16 am

Apologies, sure I've asked before but can I find the posts?

Flying BA (J) into DOH next week and have a few hours there before a QR (F) flight onwards .... both on reward tickets.

Which in your opinion is the lounge to aim for? And what facilities set it apart and are worth indulging in?

Think our onward flight is a little before 1.00 am but not greatly worried about sleeping etc just enjoying a few indulgent hours in DOH

On the return, we are QR F into DOH and then BA J to LHR. Same question really, which lounge would you aim for that gets us the best experience? Not sure we would get the upper QR lounges on that combination. I guess options would include BA, CX, .... any others? What would more experienced hands go for?

Appreciate any help you can offer up. Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Apologies, sure I've asked before but can I find the posts?

Flying BA (J) into DOH next week and have a few hours there before a QR (F) flight onwards .... both on reward tickets.

Which in your opinion is the lounge to aim for? And what facilities set it apart and are worth indulging in?

Think our onward flight is a little before 1.00 am but not greatly worried about sleeping etc just enjoying a few indulgent hours in DOH

On the return, we are QR F into DOH and then BA J to LHR. Same question really, which lounge would you aim for that gets us the best experience? Not sure we would get the upper QR lounges on that combination. I guess options would include BA, CX, .... any others? What would more experienced hands go for?

Appreciate any help you can offer up. Thanks
I think you'd be able to access to Al Safwa on both flights, If I have not been to the lounges I'd give Al Mourjan a visit (been there done that) then head to Al Safwa for the remainder of the transit.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by db07mufan
I think you'd be able to access to Al Safwa on both flights, If I have not been to the lounges I'd give Al Mourjan a visit (been there done that) then head to Al Safwa for the remainder of the transit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have no loyalty record on QR but new work directions mean this may well occur. Also having been one of BA's top 1% for about 15 years, I now factor nowhere with them really. But they are J/F tickets so worth a go. Never tried either of these and DOH is almost unfeasibly somewhere I've accidentally navigated round the last 30 years. Time to put that right Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: QF Platinum LH Senator
So upgraded tickets do not allow access to Al Safwa Lounge? So if I accept a cash upgrade offer to First from SYD to DOH, I will not have have AS access inbound and in transit to Munich, even though I have the First boarding card and the inbound flight is greater than 5 hours. My business ticket includes lounge access but presume it is AM as per original ticket. Am I correct?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by roketboy
So upgraded tickets do not allow access to Al Safwa Lounge? So if I accept a cash upgrade offer to First from SYD to DOH, I will not have have AS access inbound and in transit to Munich, even though I have the First boarding card and the inbound flight is greater than 5 hours. My business ticket includes lounge access but presume it is AM as per original ticket. Am I correct?
You are (unfortunately) correct. Upgrades are not eligible for AS entry.
Only if you would be a QRPC Platinum member, then you would have access, even with business class ticket
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum LH Senator
Thanks very much for clarifying. It would have clinched the deal.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by roketboy
Thanks very much for clarifying. It would have clinched the deal.
Actually today I am on an upgraded (to First) flight from BKK to DOH (and then to MUC in business ;-) ) - as I am Platinum I can access AS, so I will ask at reception to reconfirm my statement and let you know them
roketboy likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I am on redemption booked with BA Avios on CDG-DOH-CAI booked in the highest cabins available. Pretty long connection and overnight, is the room in AS still for a few hours only? Jacuzzi seem to be free of charge. Does anybody know which lounge is used at CDG? I heard it is AA lounge but not sure if it is up to at least LHR standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.