Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:10 am

QR Plat Lounge Pass

Hello! QR Plat flying in Business Class with 2 other non QR Plats (in business class as well).

Not sure if they changed the rules, but if QR Plats are still allowed access in Al Safwa, and with me being able to bring 1 guest, will I be able to use one of my lounge passes for the 2nd guest?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:29 pm

As far as I know, the lounge passes only work at the status lounges. However, I think the Plat admission to AS while flying in J already includes two guests, so you're covered anyway.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 8:43 am

Al Safwa - access is arriving First and departing business

Hi there, I'm arriving First Class Qatar BKK to Doha (lands 22:40), then fly Doha to London in business (departs 14:35). Does anyone have an up-to-date view if I will be able to access Al Safwa lounge? The agent from Qatar chat has just told me First class outbound only, but I've read a lot of people saying it's allowed provided your 1st leg first class flight is >5 hours. It's possible they have changed the rules, so I wanted to see if anyone had had recent experience of this?

Last edited by fs1234; Jul 30, 2022 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by fs1234
Hi there, I'm arriving First Class Qatar BKK to Doha (lands 22:40), then fly Doha to London in business (departs 14:35). Does anyone have an up-to-date view if I will be able to access Al Safwa lounge? The agent from Qatar chat has just told me First class outbound only, but I've read a lot of people saying it's allowed provided your 1st leg first class flight is >5 hours. It's possible they have changed the rules, so I wanted to see if anyone had had recent experience of this?
fs1234 Welcome to FlyerTalk.

After your trip, please post your own experience.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by fs1234

I arrived shortly before midnight from CDG in F and didn’t then depart in J until about 7:30am the next morning. - was granted access. We probably landed about 23:50 in Doha.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: qr
I have gained access ex BKK first to Doha connecting 4 hours later to Amsterdam in J . There was a few issues at the bottom of escalator as staffer stated I could not enter - held my ground and politely asked if I could check that out at the reception area in AS . Was allowed to do so and after speaking to staff on reception was granted access . This was pre pandemic and as ever QR seem to change the rules on a regular basis and not brief the staff YMMV
fridgy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:58 pm

I found the people at the bottom of the escalator to be utterly useless when it comes to anything that falls outside of the simplest scenarios. In case of any doubt, it's always best to insist on going up and speaking to the reception.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Data point

LHR DOH F

3 day stopover

onward in J - all one ticket

Access denied as was use of F checkin. Everyone very pleasant but explained my transit had been more than a few hours.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
My first, and probably only ever visit to Al Safwa. It is a stunning space, beautifully put together and feels more like a museum of modern art. It is incredibly quiet, very cool and a delightful way to spend 2-3 hours at an airport.

There are staff everywhere, indeed across our QR experience staffing levels are noticeably high with everyone keen to provide a service.

I have not investigated the bar but I don’t see Krug, just the same CH bubbles that were served in J on the way here.

My one comment about Al Safwa is that there is no intimate seating, everything is far apart. For example I am looking at 8 arm chairs that are occupying a space you could comfortably fit 3 times that number, but I suppose that’s what First class is about. I am loving it!!

Fountain

Cathedral lime proportions

Comfortable but not very intimate seating

Art work from Islamic museum on display

12th century artifact

More art works

The A La Carte dining at breakfast was beautifully presented

Eggs Royal

View from our table
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
As I am in business "P" (business light) soon, considering the various different information about access to Al Safwa or not (QR Website, Privilege account, agents, ...), I did raise a question to the contact center and this I got back (shortened, bold by me)):
Dear Mr. Traveller999,
Concerning your request, Business Class full fare ticketed (including Business Light) customers travelling on Qatar Airways operated flights with Platinum members are eligible to enter Al Safwa Lounge.
Hence we are happy to confirm that you will be eligible to enter the Al Safwa Lounge.
UNQUOTE
I did search this thread, but did not see related information (Access to Al Safwa for Platinum in "P") - I apologize, if I did overread it - Anybody made expierence in this regard already?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Traveller999
As I am in business "P" (business light) soon, considering the various different information about access to Al Safwa or not (QR Website, Privilege account, agents, ...), I did raise a question to the contact center and this I got back (shortened, bold by me)):
Dear Mr. Traveller999,
Concerning your request, Business Class full fare ticketed (including Business Light) customers travelling on Qatar Airways operated flights with Platinum members are eligible to enter Al Safwa Lounge.
Hence we are happy to confirm that you will be eligible to enter the Al Safwa Lounge.
UNQUOTE
I did search this thread, but did not see related information (Access to Al Safwa for Platinum in "P") - I apologize, if I did overread it - Anybody made expierence in this regard already?
If this was a thing, it may have changed to NOT being possible recently, given the new status lounges have now opened? That’s my thought anyway!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Tofino87
If this was a thing, it may have changed to NOT being possible recently, given the new status lounges have now opened? That’s my thought anyway!
Honestly, I do not know - I made my request for information yesterday and got the response yesterday ....

Maybe the company representant Goingplacestogether may rule finally on that?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Hello QR/Al Safwa Gurus,

First time QR flyer - really looking forward to it - and have three round trips in the coming months LAX-RUH through DOH. Q-Suites on long-haul LAX-DOH and back, F from DOH-RUH and back. DOH-RUH is I think only 90 minutes but is marketed F. My layover is only 90 min on outbound LAX-RUH but on way back, i have a 4.5 hour layover in the middle of the night from like 2:30am (flight departs RUH at 00:55) to 7:30am - brutal!

Will this itinerary gain me access to Al Safwa in both directions? I guess it would be more beneficial on the return flight with the long overnight layover. If not, curious what you Doha experts would do in that layover in the wee hours -- is it worth getting that airport hotel for a quick kip?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Hello QR/Al Safwa Gurus,

First time QR flyer - really looking forward to it - and have three round trips in the coming months LAX-RUH through DOH. Q-Suites on long-haul LAX-DOH and back, F from DOH-RUH and back. DOH-RUH is I think only 90 minutes but is marketed F. My layover is only 90 min on outbound LAX-RUH but on way back, i have a 4.5 hour layover in the middle of the night from like 2:30am (flight departs RUH at 00:55) to 7:30am - brutal!

Will this itinerary gain me access to Al Safwa in both directions? I guess it would be more beneficial on the return flight with the long overnight layover. If not, curious what you Doha experts would do in that layover in the wee hours -- is it worth getting that airport hotel for a quick kip?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Yes, you should have access as an arriving F passenger, despite the short flight (unless anything has changed again very recently).

As for what to to in case you want to sleep - pre-book the hotel. There are also the Sleep N Fly pods but unsure of how good they are. At 2.30 AM it’s a gamble to get a sleeping room at AS. However, if I were you I’d just enjoy some La Grande Dame and have a nice meal and then sleep some on your 15 hour flight which should mean you mitigate some of the jetlag by getting back on PST/PDT.
matinicus rock likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: QFF
Two quick queries someone may be able to answer:
  1. What's the internet speed like in AS? From memory, not great or suitable to stream but figured I'd ask.
  2. When does AS get 'busiest'? I've got a very long layover coming up and ideally like to get a room in AS. Aiming for doing so around 1700 so out at 2300 (for an 0105 flight) but keen to hear suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.