Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist. Previously: A3-*G, LH-FTL
I'm flying MLE-DOH-AMM-TLV with a 17 hour connection in Doha (I can't enter Qatar so will stay at the airport). Fortunately the first 2 segments are in first and I'm also OWE, so will have access to all lounges. I'm landing at 23:00 and will probably start by trying to get a room at the AS for 6 hours.
Any recommendations for the rest of the time if I want to take another nap? Should I stay at AS or move to AM?

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Sixt Unlimited/DIA
Hi, i just found this thread while doing some researching on the Lounge in Doha

I understand that the previous Flight has to be 5 hours in First Class to grant access to the Lounge.

Right now im about to book a award roundtrip flight FRA - MLE

DOH - MLE and back are both First (not A380, as i understand its a Cathay Pacific First Class)

On the Return Flight our Flight Time is 4:50 with QR 673 are we really missing out on the First Class Lounge because our Flight is 10 min too short? The Flight to Frankfurt is not available in First Class.

Any Experience how they handled that in the past? Its not like we are talking about a 2 hour difference.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

@JulianBTC Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
is it true that lounge access depends on which sector is longer? I'm flying BKK(F)-DOH-YUL(J) , so the phone agent said I'll only qualify for Business lounge
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Seems like the regular Laurent Perrier NV and Charles Heidsieck 2005.

The quality is going down.
Even the red and white wine are not great (Exception of Ducru-B.).
Traveller999, Andrew35K and yrtrvl like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by JulianBTC
Hi, i just found this thread while doing some researching on the Lounge in Doha

I understand that the previous Flight has to be 5 hours in First Class to grant access to the Lounge.

Right now im about to book a award roundtrip flight FRA - MLE

DOH - MLE and back are both First (not A380, as i understand its a Cathay Pacific First Class)

On the Return Flight our Flight Time is 4:50 with QR 673 are we really missing out on the First Class Lounge because our Flight is 10 min too short? The Flight to Frankfurt is not available in First Class.

Any Experience how they handled that in the past? Its not like we are talking about a 2 hour difference.
The 5 hour rule has been scrapped. As long as you arrive in F (even the sub-1 hour Middle East flights) you are granted access to AS.

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Agreed. Food quality seems to have worsened, too.
AirbusA350 and JulianBTC like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
The quality is certainly not what it used to be. Food, drinks, and service is down the drain. It is just the Al Mourjan in another wrapper.

Don't get me wrong, on a global scale it is still a good lounge, it is just very very far from what it used to be.
​​​​​
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Seems like the regular Laurent Perrier NV and Charles Heidsieck 2005.

That's what I've just been offered. The LP NV is quite a downgrade on the LGD. Bangkok lounge had a Heidsieck white champagne earlier (I think it was vintage but don't quote me) which wasn't on the QR code menu and was served from magnums. Perhaps they are in the process of arranging new suppliers?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KingCanute
That's what I've just been offered. The LP NV is quite a downgrade on the LGD. Bangkok lounge had a Heidsieck white champagne earlier (I think it was vintage but don't quote me) which wasn't on the QR code menu and was served from magnums. Perhaps they are in the process of arranging new suppliers?
Bangkok has the standard Piper from magnum bottles. I was a bit surprised at the flavours from the magnum bottle compared to a regular bottle. Positively surprised that is.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Maybe LGD will come back next month (November), at least that what the staff at Al Safwa is saying right now ..let’s see and hope :-)
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
There will be changes to the Al Safwa from the beginning of November, although as with anything I'm told nowadays, I take it with a pinch of salt!

Expect a pretty funky FIFA room amongst f&b upgrades

M
Traveller999 and yrtrvl like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
is it true that lounge access depends on which sector is longer? I'm flying BKK(F)-DOH-YUL(J) , so the phone agent said I'll only qualify for Business lounge
does anyone have experience being denied based on duration of F/J flight?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:45 am

Many posts above (mine included) have already confirmed that the current rules does not distinguish between duration of the arrival flight. If DXB-DOH-XXX in F/J is granting access based on DXB-DOH, obviously BKK-DOH in F is going to be completely fine.
tdot_guy and Patinum like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We arrive DOH at 5:30pm and fly to AMM the next day at 8:20am.

What would be the optimal time to get the Sleep Room? i.e. before the rush of transit passengers landed at DOH. Would 10pm be too late to do that?

Try to only use the free 6 hours, since with an 8:20am departure, we most likely would get up no later than before 6am, take a shower then have quite bites. Off to the gate we go.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 18, 2022 at 6:16 pm
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Happy
We arrive DOH at 5:30pm and fly to AMM the next day at 8:20am.

What would be the optimal time to get the Sleep Room? i.e. before the rush of transit passengers landed at DOH. Would 10pm be too late to do that?

Try to only use the free 6 hours, since with an 8:20am departure, we most likely would get up no later than before 6am, take a shower then have quite bites. Off to the gate we go.
11P-5AM (and I prefer to shower en suite). Start checking availability around 7P. If there is a wait, they can put you on the list. They don't take reservations, but if you're polite and nice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.