Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Global321
Seems people above have reported different results above. For me, I arrived QR First, departed QR biz, AA miles/ticketed, separate tickets. No problem accessing. (Again, sample size of 1.) I have yet to see different rules posted by QR anywhere in reference to short/long/ticketing/etc. And everyone seems to have a different take. If you look at the blogger sites, even they report slightly different rules.

Generally applying Occam's razor, I think the answer is simple; Agents apply what they believe the rules are/want them to be. The posted rules are not very specific. i.e. They don't say anything about arriving/departing or short/long haul First. Thus, agents apply their own interpretation, which equates to different agents, different rules. Seems like the simplest, most reasonable explanation of the vary access success.
When did you travel? I think we need to look at some time stamps to see if there is a pattern after a certain time. It could also indeed just be random agents doing random things, or based on how busy the lounge is?
Global321 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
When did you travel? I think we need to look at some time stamps to see if there is a pattern after a certain time. It could also indeed just be random agents doing random things, or based on how busy the lounge is?
Good thought. December of last year.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:00 pm

I'm not convinced the access rules really are as opaque or random as the impression this thread can give sometimes. A bit more detail on the timings, ticketing/fare basis and operators of denied itineraries will probably explain what's going on.
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Quite honestly there are serious Galleries First at LHR T5 vibes these days at the peak time.
Which might be OK if there was a CCR equivalent to retreat to...
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KingCanute
I'm not convinced the access rules really are as opaque or random as the impression this thread can give sometimes. A bit more detail on the timings, ticketing/fare basis and operators of denied itineraries will probably explain what's going on.
I think so too.....
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi, apologies if this is answered somewhere above but just wanted to double check. I'm oneworld emerald (BA Gold) and looking to fly LHR-DOH-MCT return. I'm currently looking at booking Business Lite/First on the way out and First/Business Classic on the way back. Am I right in thinking that I wouldn't have access to Al Safwa on the way out, but that I should have access on the way back? Or does booking Business lite on the outbound affect the return as well? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Minerva24
Hi, apologies if this is answered somewhere above but just wanted to double check. I'm oneworld emerald (BA Gold) and looking to fly LHR-DOH-MCT return. I'm currently looking at booking Business Lite/First on the way out and First/Business Classic on the way back. Am I right in thinking that I wouldn't have access to Al Safwa on the way out, but that I should have access on the way back? Or does booking Business lite on the outbound affect the return as well? Thanks in advance!
Yes, you are correct that it is each way.

Your BA Gold makes no difference with regard to access to the QR premium lounges.

If you book a QR lite fare (P) in one direction on a connecting ticket, you are booked in (P) fare for the whole journey in that direction so are not eligible for QR Premium Lounge (AS or AM) access at DOH in that direction.

But if you book a lounge-eligible fare for the return, you will have QR premium lounge access in that direction.

If you book a fare that is not premium lounge eligible in either direction but have some oneworld status that includes lounges access on the dates you are travelling, you will have access to the appropriate status lounges. But again that does not include Al Mourjan or Al Safwa, or the QR premium lounge at LHR
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
That's really helpful, thanks for replying so quickly
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:45 pm

Tried to search this but had no luck:

Do regional first class tickets WITHOUT ANY CONNECTING INTINERARIES (i.e. a simple MCT-DOH First class one-way ticket, for instance) have access to Al-Safwa on arrival in Doha?

My guess is that they don't & that there would only be access to the "First (or Business) Arrivals Lounge"?

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Londonlouis

Do regional first class tickets WITHOUT ANY CONNECTING INTINERARIES (i.e. a simple MCT-DOH First class one-way ticket, for instance) have access to Al-Safwa on arrival in Doha?

My guess is that they don't & that there would only be access to the "First (or Business) Arrivals Lounge"?

You might get through transfer security without a boarding pass for a departing flight but I suspect you will need one to access the airside lounges. So if you are just travelling to DOH then yes the premium arrivals lounge is probably your option. And by that I mean the landside one after customs rather than the area at the premium immigration channel.
Londonlouis likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:14 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I was reading OMAT today and Ben/Lucky had another review of Swiss Air's First Class Lounge in Zurich. Looked like a pretty impressive beverage selection compared to Al Safwa...
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by znsm
Thanks in advance for your insight everyone on this access question, I can't keep up with this 😅

I'm QR plat travelling with Burgundy husband. BCN-DOH upgraded to business with Avios, connecting DOH-AKL upgraded to business with Qpoints. Both showing U class.

Would there be 1 + 1 guest access to AS transiting at DOH?

Seeing some conflicting things particularly with a Qpoints upgrade
Yes, I’ve guested a non-status friend (both of us travelling together on upgraded tickets - including qcredit upgrades) a number of times. Enjoy
znsm likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Londonlouis

You might get through transfer security without a boarding pass for a departing flight but I suspect you will need one to access the airside lounges. So if you are just travelling to DOH then yes the premium arrivals lounge is probably your option. And by that I mean the landside one after customs rather than the area at the premium immigration channel.
Don't see how you could get past transfer security without an onward BP. Even if you somehow slipped through, you would then need to slip past AS "security".
While anything is possible, it would be an outlier.

As KingCanute said - and you are probably aware - you do have access to the landside arrivals lounge.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Don't see how you could get past transfer security without an onward BP
As far as I recall, the maximum level of BP inspection I have ever had at transfer security was a cursory glance from a distance to see if it had the silver or burgundy header that would allow entry to the premium channel. I'm not sure anyone has ever checked the travel details printed on it. And some arrivals will be selected to bypass transfer security altogether.

YMMV of course, and it's a different matter gaining entry to a lounge, but DOH isn't like some other airports where your BP is scanned at transfers for conformance reasons. If you arrive and stay airside, they only inspect your BP and know where you are once you check in to a lounge or arrive at the departure gate (or possibly also buy some duty free)
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:56 am

As far as I recall, the maximum level of BP inspection I have ever had at transfer security was a cursory glance from a distance to see if it had the silver or burgundy header that would allow entry to the premium channel. I'm not sure anyone has ever checked the travel details printed on it. And some arrivals will be selected to bypass transfer security altogether.

YMMV of course, and it's a different matter gaining entry to a lounge, but DOH isn't like some other airports where your BP is scanned at transfers for conformance reasons. If you arrive and stay airside, they only inspect your BP and know where you are once you check in to a lounge or arrive at the departure gate (or possibly also buy some duty free)
Business Class line does a scan. (I do it quite often.) The new BC line has an automated scan, but you must scan to get the belt to move.

You are right that some fights stay airside, so I guess OP could try that if they want.
KingCanute likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.