Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

New Earning Table (esp Partner Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Earning Table (esp Partner Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by inasmuchas
It's a huge devaluation in terms of earning status for QFF members who do not reside in Australia, and who fly predominantly with OW carriers. What's more, those purchasing higher fares are not immune, as the status earn rate on partner airlines is significantly devalued.

It's perfectly understandable that QF's focus would be on Australian based FFers, but where there was already little incentive, these changes provide even less reasons for being a QFF member outside of Australia and NZ.
In combination with the flight schedule changes, this is a huge devaluation in terms of earning status for QFF members who reside in Western Australia.

Especially if they do not fly to the eastern states often.

Happy wandering (?)

Fred
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by deeruck
Followed by repeal of the Sale Act, separation into domestic and international arms, and a large equity investment from EK?

Rationally, the reason to devalue the programme this way is to prep it for sale. I'm thinking the changes kick in and 4-5 months after that you'll see the programme sold. If they get the restricting Act repealed then I'd say the Intl arm will be sold off outright to EK and QF will become a simple Oz domestic carrier with a LCC intl operation. Joyce might be able to handle that because he does know those two sides of the business. Possibly.

ETA: heh. The email feedback form on the QF website has been disabled. Or it's recently been "enhanced" by the QF web monkeys. Why am I not surprised.

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Mar 28, 2014 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
If they get the restricting Act repealed then I'd say the Intl arm will be sold off outright to EK and ...
That cannot happen. QFi need 50.1% Australian ownership to have international traffic rights. Same reason as VAi is a separate company with 50.1% Australian ownership even though VA is not majority Aust owned. And just the Asian Jetstar's have at least 50% local ownership. Australia is one of the few countries that allow majority foreign ownership of airlines
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DH188
This clause was quietly slipped in to the eligibility criteria a few months ago:

"Lounge access eligibility is based on the class of travel, Qantas club membership or the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight."
That solely relates to QFF or Skyward elite based access to EK or QF lounges.

While Qantas can do what it likes with it's own members, it cannot dictate access criteria so to elite members of other oneworld programs.

However, mistake can occur which resulted in a BAEC Gold elite being incorrectly denied access to the LHR T3 First lounge when crediting the travel to AAdvantage - with the outcome that BA apoligised.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-first-t3.html
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That cannot happen. QFi need 50.1% Australian ownership to have international traffic rights. Same reason as VAi is a separate company with 50.1% Australian ownership even though VA is not majority Aust owned. And just the Asian Jetstar's have at least 50% local ownership. Australia is one of the few countries that allow majority foreign ownership of airlines
Holding companies are a wonderful thing.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
That solely relates to QFF or Skyward elite based access to EK or QF lounges.

While Qantas can do what it likes with it's own members, it cannot dictate access criteria so to elite members of other oneworld programs.

However, mistake can occur which resulted in a BAEC Gold elite being incorrectly denied access to the LHR T3 First lounge when crediting the travel to AAdvantage - with the outcome that BA apoligised.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-first-t3.html
Yes, understand all that, but my reply was in indirect response to post #83 which suggested that a (presumably)QF elite could continue to enjoy lounge access while building status in another scheme.
I'd like to think I'm wrong but to my mind that clause would, for example, now rule out QF lounge access for a QF platinum crediting to his currently no-status AA account.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DH188
Yes, understand all that, but my reply was in indirect response to post #83 which suggested that a (presumably)QF elite could continue to enjoy lounge access while building status in another scheme.
I'd like to think I'm wrong but to my mind that clause would, for example, now rule out QF lounge access for a QF platinum crediting to his currently no-status AA account.
It doesn't read that way to me and would read to me that

lounge access for the next onward flight is based on
Qantas club membership
Class of Travel
Frequent Flyer Membership tier

which is exactly in line with OW rules

It wouldn't be logical for just "Frequent Flyer Membership tier" to be tied to "next onward flight" since all access is dependent upon next onward flight
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by og
Another step closer to QF withdrawing from OW.
Not necessarily. NZ made similar changes years ago and remains in *A. Arguably NZ is actually violating alliance rules (e.g. no extra baggage for *G on cheap fares) whereas QF is merely violating the spirit.

Originally Posted by og
More to the point, it shows QF has given up on competing with partners such as CX on HKG-SYD. QF know they have a substandard product and just can't figure out how to meet the competition.
This is also out of the NZ copybook.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Notice that the mileage "break point" is now 1500 miles rather than 1200.

Thus transUSA flights from the NE to California which require two just over 1200 mile segments will be reduced from 120 SC each to 90 each.
There are a lot of routes with significantly reduced earning due to the wider bands 750 miles instead of 600 and 1500 miles instead of 1200.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
It probably will result in 5+ years that ALL FFP's become fairly irrelevant to most poeple in terms of benefit. You get what you pay for.
That's a conclusion I came to a few years ago. Now I have lifetime status on 2 alliances (and working on a third) so I will soon be free from chasing status and freer to chose solely on other criteria.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
It looks like the rates for USING points (classic award tickets or upgrades) are still based on the old zones. Funny, that.
Probably an oversight in the rush to get this announced and implemented. Award zones will likely change to match earning zones - watch for more enhancements in the process.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
MH or AA

Any advice appreciated. I would do about 12 domestic trips a year, but about 2/3 do not accrue points as they are tied into work fares. the others are discount economy. also do I business class paid to Europe each year on cheapest OW carrier. I earn about 20,000 QF points through credit card. What is people's advice - stick with QF, or go to AA or MH. I have QC membership for another 4 years so not too worried lounge access or status

any thoughts appreicated
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It doesn't read that way to me and would read to me that

lounge access for the next onward flight is based on
Qantas club membership
Class of Travel
Frequent Flyer Membership tier

which is exactly in line with OW rules

It wouldn't be logical for just "Frequent Flyer Membership tier" to be tied to "next onward flight" since all access is dependent upon next onward flight
Oh well, I'm sure we can rely upon the lounge guardians to interpret and apply it accurately and consistently.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
People flying oneworld partners are not leeches trying to get status cheaply and are not any less "loyal" to Qantas. I understand that QF cannot be all things to all people. I do not expect QF to fly everywhere. But in a world of airline partnerships, it is not unreasonable to expect to be rewarded for flying partner airlines that offer an alternative where your business cannot.
Hear, hear.

In fixing its initial error of considering Doha to be in the UAE, Qantas has now lumped the whole of the Middle East together in its table of slashed Status Credits for partner airlines.

How exactly does Qantas want people to fly to places such as Tel Aviv to where neither QF nor EK currently fly?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Qantas seemedly doesn't care that you want to go to places that it doesn't serve. It is of no real benefit to Qantas if you fly on another carrier to israel

Fortunately there are still other airlines out there that could use instead or other schemes that can collect to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.