Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

New Earning Table (esp Partner Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Earning Table (esp Partner Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is of no real benefit to Qantas if you fly on another carrier to israel
But it is damaging to Qantas if its changes to the way it treats those who fly on partners causes people to abandon Qantas altogether. For me, this tipping point has been reached. Now, whenever I fly home to Australia, I will be all but certain not to fly Qantas as I will have left the programme.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by da.....L
But it is damaging to Qantas if its changes to the way it treats those who fly on partners causes people to abandon Qantas altogether. For me, this tipping point has been reached. Now, whenever I fly home to Australia, I will be all but certain not to fly Qantas as I will have left the programme.
I wonder how many people will actually quit travelling on Qantas though.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, whenever I fly home to Australia, I will be all but certain not to fly Qantas as I will have left the programme.
The airline you fly and the FFP where you credit miles for that flight do not need to be same. This is what FFP airline partners are about. You can fly QF and credit to AA

I wonder how many people will actually quit travelling on Qantas though.
Very few IMHO. We are the 1%-5%-?% who actually take interest FFP's. But some of those 1%-5%-?% have a higher number of flights compared to the average punter. For many punters price is the only consideration
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

Very few IMHO. We are the 1%-5%-?% who actually take interest FFP's. But some of those 1%-5%-?% have a higher number of flights compared to the average punter.
A small percentage of those that travel frequently though. Most I suspect will just carry on as before. It would be very good if lots do quit and highlight to Qantas that there are limits before people react. A small percentage of the small percentage of frequent travellers leaving is almost natural attrition
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Or better still, don't support Qantas. If Qantas was to lose money due to the change then it may figure it made a mistake. If all that happens is that some people whine about it but continue to fly on Qantas, then those deciding on the changes will likely be quite happy
Solid advice - I started following it about 2.5 years ago.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The airline you fly and the FFP where you credit miles for that flight do not need to be same. This is what FFP airline partners are about. You can fly QF and credit to AA
Living in London and as a result of these changes, when flying to Australia I'm now more likely to fly CX and credit to BA.

QF used to get at least four flights out of me a year, purely to maintain status. That won't be happening anymore.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by RichardMEL

Borghetti is a smart operator. VA will follow at a time and in a way they will do.. but for now I think VA will sit back, and target people quietly(or not so much). Status match maybe? I don't know.. but if they were smart they'll not just jump on board. They'll make themselves a point of difference (for now) and probably be quick to show how they are "simpler" and "fairer" for the public...
I think it's QF following VA, as Velocity is really revenue based.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by goback
The SC earn zones are now loosely closer to the VA zoning as well (750, 1500 for example)
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by goback
And always has been. If QF was just copying VA, then they would have done this years ago.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Living in London and as a result of these changes, when flying to Australia I'm now more likely to fly CX and credit to BA.

QF used to get at least four flights out of me a year, purely to maintain status. That won't be happening anymore.
To be frank, I doubt QF would be particularly worried by a customer whose profile is like this. Nor would any other airline. QFFF has long signalled a lack of interest in pursuing UK-based customers, for whom QFFF often makes little sense anyway. Alternatives like BAEC have changed to accommodate many (like me) for whom QFFF had previously been a good option. Obviously, there will always be some UK-based customers who want to stick with QFFF or QF because "Qantas is for Australians" - but that only aligns them to that line of thought within QF itself. But leaving that aside, it sounds like you could long have held the equivalent status in BAEC without having to fly QF (or even if still flying QF).

But these changes should cause QF to worry about customers who have some different profiles - particularly those who might change alliance altogether because of these QFFF changes. A change in behaviour from some of them could do some real damage to QF's revenues.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Am I reading it right that

Intra-Asia flights, Asia - Middle East & Asia - USA Partner flights SC earn rate remains?

Other than those with flight miles more than 7000 flight miles?

The rest all decreased by 50%?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Globaliser
To be frank, I doubt QF would be particularly worried by a customer whose profile is like this. Nor would any other airline. QFFF has long signalled a lack of interest in pursuing UK-based customers, for whom QFFF often makes little sense anyway. Alternatives like BAEC have changed to accommodate many (like me) for whom QFFF had previously been a good option. Obviously, there will always be some UK-based customers who want to stick with QFFF or QF because "Qantas is for Australians" - but that only aligns them to that line of thought within QF itself. But leaving that aside, it sounds like you could long have held the equivalent status in BAEC without having to fly QF (or even if still flying QF).
Having said that, if someone "just" makes WP under the old QF system, then depending on the flying pattern, e.g. LHR-BUD in CE earned 60 SCs whereas it is 40 TPs with BA, he/she may not make BAEC Gold. Something to watch out for. BA Gold threshold is 1500, so those earning 1200 SCs from predominantly 60 SC CE destinations won't get anywhere near 1500 TPs from BAEC. On the other hand with BA WT+ earns 90/100 TPs so if that is the main cabin of choice, it is easier to earn the status with BAEC than with QF.

Originally Posted by Globaliser

But these changes should cause QF to worry about customers who have some different profiles - particularly those who might change alliance altogether because of these QFFF changes. A change in behaviour from some of them could do some real damage to QF's revenues.

I agree with what you said there. I do not think Qantas is worried about those who earn WPs predominantly flying with other carriers and just flies 4 QF sectors, maybe unless those 4 sectors are in F. I actually suspect they actively don't want them.

For some time, I was flying a lot more than 4 QF sectors per year but not a very large number and was Europe-based. I was treated rather differently when I was in Australia and when I was in Europe, despite earning a lot more SCs when I was in Europe, up to about 5,000 SCs / year at some point. I felt rather unwanted.

I still feel somewhat unwanted, despite the latest changes benefiting my crediting patterns. I think the partner earning table adjustment, especially of competing routes, really annoyed me despite not affecting me at all, I only credit QF and JQ flights to QF, and the rest of them go to BA.

But of course not everyone has the luxury of crediting whatever they feel like and keep status in two or more schemes. I think the biggest risk to Qantas, as you say, are the 'mid-range' customers who fly Qantas a fair bit but also a fair bit of OW, and following the change, they'd rather fly with another alliance or another carrier within OW and credit to the scheme of that carrier or another. I wonder if they thought through that one.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

But of course not everyone has the luxury of crediting whatever they feel like and keep status in two or more schemes. I think the biggest risk to Qantas, as you say, are the 'mid-range' customers who fly Qantas a fair bit but also a fair bit of OW, and following the change, they'd rather fly with another alliance or another carrier within OW and credit to the scheme of that carrier or another. I wonder if they thought through that one.

If they sell off QFF in 6 months and the above scenario doesn't play out until 12-18 months, I doubt they will give a flying roo....
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:40 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Big downgrade on earning SC's in the US for Y-UP fares... used to be able to earn 600SC just on one ticket. I just squeaked past lifetime Silver using my latest P-class run on AA. Between the devaluation and AA now only allowing single connections, Gold is probably unattainable at this point.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Is QF going to be a part of oneworld for much longer at this rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.