Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

New Earning Table (esp Partner Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
just studied the new table and it looks like QF is learning from EK to real mess up its FFP
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†

So for me it was a MUC-XXX-SIN-MEL-XXX-MUC in Business 1-2 times per year for 1-2 Pax. Plus some domestic in the last 7 years. So not just the 4 Red E-Deals. Topped up with BA, AY and AB flights to get WP and sometimes PG.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Seems to me AA flights in the US booked in P class will still earn "First" SC's.... I thought that one would be sorted out. Or am I misreading the infodump?
Yes, but some routes will have a lower SC value.

DFW-DEN, for example, earns 90 SCs under old scheme in P.

Now, only 60 SCs !
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
The changes certainly reduce the attractiveness of the SYD-AKL LA route. In Business class this used to net 160 SPs for around NZ$750. I used this a number of times, which was great apart from the early start.

Then again, 80 SPs for $750 still isn't too bad, when you're probably looking at NZ$1200+ (sale fare; full fare is more like NZ$1600+) for 160 SPs in QF Business class, or NZ$600+ for 80 SPs in Economy Flexible.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
The changes certainly reduce the attractiveness of the SYD-AKL LA route. In Business class this used to net 160 SPs for around NZ$750. I used this a number of times, which was great apart from the early start.

Then again, 80 SPs for $750 still isn't too bad, when you're probably looking at NZ$1200+ (sale fare; full fare is more like NZ$1600+) for 160 SPs in QF Business class, or NZ$600+ for 80 SPs in Economy Flexible.
This was the first thing I looked at!
For me it makes the LAN run uneconomic in terms of cost and travel time as a WLG based QFFer. Then again it has been over 2 years since I last did it as the QF I fare and timings work better for me than the lost time flying LA and to an extent EK via AKL.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
This was the first thing I looked at!
For me it makes the LAN run uneconomic in terms of cost and travel time as a WLG based QFFer. Then again it has been over 2 years since I last did it as the QF I fare and timings work better for me than the lost time flying LA and to an extent EK via AKL.
Maybe I haven't studied the simplified rules enough, but I think I missed what they do with SCs for QF codes on other OW metal. Specifically QF321 v/s LA800 (same metal). Does QF321 get the full SCs and LA800 only get half?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by og
Maybe I haven't studied the simplified rules enough, but I think I missed what they do with SCs for QF codes on other OW metal. Specifically QF321 v/s LA800 (same metal). Does QF321 get the full SCs and LA800 only get half?
I think that's right. Australia-South America on LAN in Discount Economy is now 20 Status Credits!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:54 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
I think that's right. Australia-South America on LAN in Discount Economy is now 20 Status Credits!
So are you confirming that QF321 gets 40 SCs and LA800 gets 20 SCs (ie same LAN aircraft - just different "sold as" code)? Or in D class, 160 and 80 respectively?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Yes, but the QF codes often cost more for the same flight. in the olden days, buying LA would be fine as SC's would be the same. Now.. not so much.
fair dinkum.

Thanks to the correction (above) re the US domestic flights. I did note the zone changes which I think clearly shows QF has been doing their maths on how this stuff is being used.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Thanks! But to be fair, I don't think that the new system for this is any less simple than the old one. The table only has lots of lines because of the movement of certain mileage brackets from one zone into a new zone. I split it all out like this to demonstrate Himeno's point about how ladder-based partner SC earning is also poorer than before.
Exactly my point. I was being somewhat sarcastic. QF has sold these changes as "simpler" but they are anything BUT... and honestly while WE (the FT types who know our fare buckets and the various reasons to do things like Y-UP fares apart from sitting in "First") know and understand what it's all about.. tell me Joe public would find a mix of domestic and international flights earning tables, that used to be based on the zonal system (for SC earning anyway) that applied no matter where (simpler) vs now you have a mix of international, route by route allocations, and a SEPERATE(different) zonal system for partner flights in the USA (clearly directed at the AA Y-UP crowd almost certainly).

I would have rathered that QF changed the zones, but made it consistent! Make your 0-600, 0-750 for the zone 1 if you like but make it across the board! That would be "fairer" if you ask me, than keeping the domestic zones as they are but having differences per international region

Of course we all know this so I'm not really arguing with anyone here. Just adding my voice to the chorus

and no surprise they removed the tables but goodness I hate calculators! Are those tables in the T&C?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I might have missed this in all the fine print (which admittedly I haven't read), but does that JQ bundles will downgrade to 800 FF points and 10 status credits?

I know it's only 200 points, but if you do a lot of trips, it adds up...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I might have missed this in all the fine print (which admittedly I haven't read), but does that JQ bundles will downgrade to 800 FF points and 10 status credits?

SCs depend on the distance, but the minimum points guarantee is 800 for these flights.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
It's 20% of the value.

OT-If you are a regular JQ traveller, did you notice how Jetstar has really gone downhill the past month or so? Grumpy sour nickel-and-diming taken to a new level, and heaven help you in Irrops, you'll be stranded somewhere lonely in the middle of the night.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:39 am

It's taken a few days to digest the changes...I'm looking at this from the assumptions of premium travel and gold/platinum status.

For premium passengers controlling their travel budget and travelling mainly domestically it really is a no brainer. Virgin offers the better scheme:

- Status is easier to get
- Status is easier to retain
- Points can be earned far faster in business class (based on pt per $)
- Platinum comes with 4 complimentary upgrades
- You get Hilton Diamond with Platinum
- You get Herz Presidents Gold with Platinum
- VA based redemptions don't charge the huge amounts in fuel surcharges that QF do
- you can talk to real people (management don't hide from customers)

BUT

IF you want to redeem internationally you can hit problems:

- Forget Air NZ redemptions
- Forget first class SQ redemptions
- No online visibility
etc

IF you travel internationally in business/first you are probably far better off simply getting the best fare on the day on the airline of your choice and buying the points with the money saved into a scheme with flexibility of good redemption rates. As a premium customer you'll get the essential benefits that status earns anyway and still be ahead points wise.

Points can be bought in Australia at $25 per 1000 through Amex and transferred to FF schemes offering so much better value (MH, SQ, CX) - not to mention opportunities to buy inro AA, Avianca etc when on offer.

Blind loyalty to QF (or any other scheme for that matter) is along since gone:

Status - no point if you're on a premium ticket
Points - do the maths and see if being loyal earns you those points at better value than a points purchase

Why strive for QF Platinum etc if those benefits are declining on OW and the writing is one the wall? Unless for whatever reason you have good cause to travel with QF....can't imagine what that would be any more.

And by way of example of the absolute absurdity of QF in these changes:

- where status credits have increased for domestic business class (J class etc) you can't even preferentially buy these on the web site - CLANG!!!
- the future of QFi will probably need to be based on flying to select hubs and relying on others - EK for DXB thence EK, but from HKG, LAX, DFW, etc without the back up in the FF scheme. Doomed to failure.

And if anyone still has any lingering sense that QF has any care in the world for its loyal customers go try being PlatinumOne and enjoy the farcical under delivery and disinterest in upper tier premium customers. What a joke.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:01 am

Question: I was looking at the QF earnings table with the various "short" "medium" and "long" haul "intra USA" parts which SEEM to roughly match the previous zone structure, though I suspect "short" is now <750mi, medium 750-1500 and long >1500, but are those distances defined anywhere? I couldn't find a reference if they were aligned with the QF zones, or the "USA domestic" distances under the partner table.

I'm thinking of this with reference to QF codeshares ex LAX and DFW - it's unclear if LAX-DFW will be classed as "medium" as it is now (it's just over 1200 miles) or what.

Any ideas? Seems a bit vague to me on what they classify as short/medium/long basically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.