Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

New Earning Table (esp Partner Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Earning Table (esp Partner Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by xaliasx
when I read "rewards members for their spend" I panicked and thought QF pulled a DL and pts will be based on $ spent. This is just as bad.....
I thought the same thing. Oh well, glad I stopped crediting to QF and burned all the miles/points years ago.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
It looks like the Points and SC earnings tables were drafted on the back of an envelope by someone in a pub on Friday night. There was probably every intent on taking it into the office and making it into something logical and understandable, but it fell into the hands of the web people and they took it from there. Even the quality of the text looks second rate (at least on my iPad).
I disagee. The points earnings seem to have been done in a similar manner to what Emirates does

e,g,

for Australia to Europe

QF discount Economy 6200 , Economy 9300 Flexible Economy 12400,
QF business 18,000 and 21,700
QF 1st 24800

Emirates Eastern Australia to Europe

Saver Economy 6400
Flex Economy 12800
Saver business 16000
Flex business 22400
Saver 1st 25600
FLex 1st 32000

The actual figures are not identical but there is great similarity in the structure and the values. QF has PE earnings which EK doesn't have plus EK also has saver and flex 1st earnings whereas QF basically has every 1st as saver 1st level

It looks thought through to use a format very similar to Emirates

I wonder if QF is also implementing the other EK feature where points earned are based on the one way journey and not on the legs making up the journey as EK does
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kremmen
While that is an option, it's not very useful for discount economy, at 25-50% of flown miles. Better off joining Alaska's MileagePlan which credits 100% on all economy classes.
Be careful. Alaska excludes QF E fares.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/qantas.aspx
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: MP 1P, QF Silver, WN CP, HH Diamond, PC Spire, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by thepumpkin
It is sad---as just made QF P after suffering United for so long...and felt better supporting an Australian icon---but as now US based and AA still looking attractive despite the merger..........maybe that is the way to go....
UA is launching a 787 service to MEL later in the year. I only flew QF because it had a better product trans-pacific (especially the A380s) over the UA old 747s. With this change I don't see why after my Easter flight I would ever fly QF again and just stick with flying UA.

Last edited by xaliasx; Mar 27, 2014 at 2:21 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
We need to do one more flight this year than already planned to hit Plat - I am wondering if we should bother.

Soft landings are critical for me and since that's never been in the T&C I imagine we won't find out what's happening until it is too late.

Losing JASAs also hurts.

Audrey
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by xaliasx
UA is launching a 787 service to MEL later in the year. I only flew QF because it had a better product trans-pacific (especially the A380s) over the UA old 747s. With this change I don't see why after my Easter flight I would ever fly QF again and just stick with flying UA.
Finally. I could never figure out how UA managed to continue flying these lousy PTVless birds and compete with QF. Were the prices significantly cheaper than QF?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:17 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Finally. I could never figure out how UA managed to continue flying these lousy PTVless birds and compete with QF. Were the prices significantly cheaper than QF?
Sometimes yes, but not always. Indeed, sometimes more expensive. QF even helped UA "prosper" by dropping SYD-SFO. If UA can make the 787 work on Australian flights, it'll do even better.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
QF halved the Partner Statuscredits "only" for competitive routes
No, they've lowered it for all partner routes. Even those QF doesn't offer.

Don't fly QF on routes QF doesn't have, get penalized.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think I may have finally worked out that "simple" bit.

Their message must be: "If you don't fly with us on the route we operate, we really would rather not know you. Simples." Hence "simpler"
You missed "and if you're a tightwad who doesn't buy flexible fares we'll pretend to like you but we really don't"

Honestly, after looking at those monster tables whoever inserted the word simple into that spiel needs to be slapped with a rotten fish.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I think QF are following the downward trend that other airline FFP have gone down.
These changes are similar to the recent NZ downgrades but in fact are articulated in a more "simpler" way eg. you do not need to look up and Excel spreadsheet and hope you got it right.
There are certainly devaluation for the cheaper QF fares but there has also been an increase in the expensive fares that some people travel on.
For me this change has negative impacts, dropping the cheap ASA (which we could see in the way it was implemented), massive degradation of the partner earning (so much so it works in that I will now direct travel to QF in competeting routes), reduction in earning for the cheaper fare buckets that I do travel on as well.
All up I will retain WP for at least 1 more year and see how far off I will be from LTG, probably around 2k SC, and likely stop my QF crediting after getting that.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
It looks like flying BA from LHR to DUB or AY from HEL to DUB will now result in zero SCs, no matter what class.

If QF thinks this will create an incentive to fly QF or EK for people living in London or Helsinki, they are very mistaken. People will just move to other programmes and forget about QF.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by da.....L
It looks like flying BA from LHR to DUB or AY from HEL to DUB will now result in zero SCs, no matter what class.
How do you reach this conclusion? Won't these flights fall into the "All other flights" category, and earn according to the distance ladder?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
This will make maximising SCs using an DONEx very difficult.
The DONE3 component of my last trip netted 1650SC. Under new earning tables, that same trip would get 1320.

From joining QFFF until 2009, I was getting 350-530 SC/year. Since 2010, I've been getting 2300-2500 SC/year. I'm 2885 SC off LTG.
It appears that my current travel patterns (since 2010) will earn about 30% fewer SC... :/

Last edited by Himeno; Mar 27, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
I wonder if this 'simpler' and 'fairer' program post July will still have a joining fee of nearly $100?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Himeno
No, they've lowered it for all partner routes. Even those QF doesn't offer.

Don't fly QF on routes QF doesn't have, get penalized.
Not quite all, but close:-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.