Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

(Business) AA: LAX-MIA-PTY (Panama City) $723 RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Business) AA: LAX-MIA-PTY (Panama City) $723 RT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage
EQP X 2

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Unfortunately the bonus does not counts toward EQM -- it's only good for future award bookings. If you are looking to qualify on EQP, since this fare is discount business there is a 1.5 multiplier.
You get 2.0 (double) EQP's vs the regular 1.5, or am I missing something in the fine print?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/n.../more-eqps.jsp
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by flyldavid
You get 2.0 (double) EQP's vs the regular 1.5, or am I missing something in the fine print?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/n.../more-eqps.jsp
Someone upthread mentioned that for a status chAAlenge (plat, exp, etc), they will only count the 1.5EQP's.

However, yes you are right about the additional 0.5 EQP's as described in that page.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Rookie Mistake

I just got back from my second PTY trip from LAX and just realized that I made a rookie mistake (this is my first year getting any sort of status of any airline).

One my second trip I noticed a 12000 RDM bonus and a little bit of research told me that it was because of fare classes A and D which are eligible for the transcon Plat bonus. My first trip had a booking code of I which were not eligible for the 12000 bonus.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. On the flip side I now have 96K EQP's and met an interesting mileage runner on my way back.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by levistrauss
I just got back from my second PTY trip from LAX and just realized that I made a rookie mistake (this is my first year getting any sort of status of any airline).

One my second trip I noticed a 12000 RDM bonus and a little bit of research told me that it was because of fare classes A and D which are eligible for the transcon Plat bonus. My first trip had a booking code of I which were not eligible for the 12000 bonus.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. On the flip side I now have 96K EQP's and met an interesting mileage runner on my way back.
I'm assuming you're talking about the 12K transcon currency bonus. How do you get it to book into A/D/P rather than I? I just checked and my LAX-JFK legs are also booked into I
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:14 am

I'm assuming you're talking about the 12K transcon currency bonus. How do you get it to book into A/D/P rather than I? I just checked and my LAX-JFK legs are also booked into I
I have no idea. I only checked for the eligibility regarding 2x EQP's and not for this so I did not notice till the 12K miles showed up yesterday morning :-)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm new to AA, and so I also booked this MR to complete my ExPlat challenge.

I had a question on the LAX-JFK transcon portions. I'm booked in I (discount biz). Is there any way to upgrade myself to F? Am I on a complimentary upgrade list 100 hours out? Can I use miles? Is there a copay? I have found you can upgrade for miles + copay, but can't find if that is waived/applicable to Exec Plats.

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
A/D/P would likely be much more expensive. you can call in and find out, but don't be surprised if it's $1000+ higher rt. D is often full fare business. P and A are typically discounted F fare classes, for instance there is a $1199 P fare filed on LAX-JFK right now discussed in another thread.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:49 am

A/D fare classes

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
A/D/P would likely be much more expensive. you can call in and find out, but don't be surprised if it's $1000+ higher rt. D is often full fare business. P and A are typically discounted F fare classes, for instance there is a $1199 P fare filed on LAX-JFK right now discussed in another thread.
Yes, you are correct. My initial flight cost me $770 and the second one (with the 12K RDM bonus) cost me $896. I assumed that the prices were higher since I booked it much closer to departure.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:40 pm

Has anyone had any luck intentionally booking this fare in D for the LAX-JFK segment? I was able to use ITA matrix and specify fare class A/D/P to price out the itinerary, and it seemed to be only a difference of ~$100.

As far as I can tell there is no way to reproduce that fare on the American website. Would the best bet be to try to set up the itinerary over the phone and try and tell the agent to book that segment into D?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OWBlueMoon
Has anyone had any luck intentionally booking this fare in D for the LAX-JFK segment? I was able to use ITA matrix and specify fare class A/D/P to price out the itinerary, and it seemed to be only a difference of ~$100.

As far as I can tell there is no way to reproduce that fare on the American website. Would the best bet be to try to set up the itinerary over the phone and try and tell the agent to book that segment into D?
How did you achieve this on the Matrix?

The cheapest AA business fares on LAXPTY return has the following specified

Code:
>$LB17                                                         
017 LAXPTY 02SEP15 AA GBP  274.00 NLX53GQ1 STAY-SU/-- BK-I  N  
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
NLX53GQ1  FARE BY RULE                           I  N          

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  BETWEEN JFK-LAX   
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  BETWEEN JFK-SFO   
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  BETWEEN MIA-LAX   
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE                  
   VIA AA  A/Y   PERMITTED     WITHIN USA                      
   VIA AA  N     REQUIRED
Obtaining D on JFKLAX seems to required doubling the price? I didn't look through all the options, so I'd be interested to see what fare your D sectors were priced under.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
How did you achieve this on the Matrix?

The cheapest AA business fares on LAXPTY return has the following specified

Code:
>$LB17                                                         
017 LAXPTY 02SEP15 AA GBP  274.00 NLX53GQ1 STAY-SU/-- BK-I  N  
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
NLX53GQ1  FARE BY RULE                           I  N          

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  BETWEEN JFK-LAX   
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  BETWEEN JFK-SFO   
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  BETWEEN MIA-LAX   
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE                  
   VIA AA  A/Y   PERMITTED     WITHIN USA                      
   VIA AA  N     REQUIRED
Obtaining D on JFKLAX seems to required doubling the price? I didn't look through all the options, so I'd be interested to see what fare your D sectors were priced under.
I lost the exact search I had done the other day, but you can search for specific fare classes like this in the advanced routing info:

JFK MIA / f bc=a|bc=p|bc=d

I could have sworn the other day I was able to see results for some dates for ~$900 with those fare rules, but at the moment all I'm seeing is $1284, so it looks like you are correct (although still not quite double). It seemed that at least one person in this thread was able to get the 6000/12000 bonus miles with their routing and only paid $900 -- I wonder if it's possible there was a minor change to the fare rules?

There's also no way I can see in ITA to specify the fare class for only one segment, so this results in the MIA-PTY segment being booked into D also; it's possible it would be cheaper if it were only the LAX-JFK segment. Again, not sure if it would be possible to get AA to create such a booking.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OWBlueMoon
There's also no way I can see in ITA to specify the fare class for only one segment, so this results in the MIA-PTY segment being booked into D also
That's because it doesn't usually make any sense to do that. Fares are defined on city pairs possibly with some booking code overrides for some sectors. So trying to specify individual legs would not really work except by breaking a through fare into two separate fares (which would likely be more expensive).

[There are occasionally exceptions when a booking code override table will allow two different booking codes with equal preference; ITA will pick the cheapest (a higher cabin often results in a higher tax or fuel surcharge) unless you use the minimum cabin specifier, followed by the best if there is no price difference.]

You can do this if you use the multicity search, but because ITA can still cover multiple cities under a single through fare, it might not quite work as you expect.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Does anyone have any input on how I can ride up front on the LAX-JFK portions?

I'm new to AA, but I have an ExPlat match. Based on what I've seen/read, only way seems to be Miles+CoPay or SWU.

My Itinerary is booked as such:

LAX-JFK in I
JFK-MIA in A
MIA-PTY in I
PTY-MIA in I
MIA-JFK in A
JFK-LAX in I

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by 1kIAH
Does anyone have any input on how I can ride up front on the LAX-JFK portions?

I'm new to AA, but I have an ExPlat match. Based on what I've seen/read, only way seems to be Miles+CoPay or SWU.

My Itinerary is booked as such:

LAX-JFK in I
JFK-LAX in I
And you are right. Only SWU/miles+co-pay for I to F upgrade. No complimentary upgrades (unless you book on a super busy day and hope for an op-up).

The J-cabin is similar to UA's business cabin on the LAX-JFK (or soon LAX-EWR) but with better IFE.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:40 pm

Just grabbed two RT seats for $770/each LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY LV Oct 2 RT Oct 4. Awesome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.