Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's started in Houston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:12 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
A bit late to the party but I went through IAH Terminal C EliteAccess checkpoint early Saturday the 9th (a week and half ago) and they were asking everyone. when "document marker pen guy" first asked me I laughed out loud, and said "say again" and then pointed out it was in front of him. I had some "playful" back and forth with him (from my perspective not his) and then I pronounced my name in an different accent (I'm fairly good at voice talents to be honest) said much different than the "norm" and then he let me go. Oddly enough he was the guy that was called back to do my opt out pat down, but was fast, and quiet.

One thing he said was funny "See, I ask you your name, you tell me so I can verify, and then we move on" in a very huffy voice. It was cute....

Afterwords, When I was on the benches behind the belts in what I call the "re-dignity" area putting my shoes back on, several TSOs kept telling everyone "have a nice flight" and "thanks".
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Trying to pass this off as a serious security measure makes them look like bar bouncers, which is great if they're bar bouncers. But it's awfully embarrassing to see them behave like bar bouncers while their boss keeps trying to convince the public that they're the nation's professional security force.
(Apologies in advance to any bar bouncers on this forum.) I assume bouncers are hired for size and, um, personality rather than intellect, but I reckon even bar bouncers would be embarrassed to pull this sort of stunt.

Plus, there's this:
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Probably because drinking establishments aren't in the habit of ticking off customers with useless theatre.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta, United
My name is Jesus Christ ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYVqMj5i6k
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Yes, it is.

But as long as someone (TSA? DHS? Congress?) insists that passenger names be checked against the No Fly List and/or the Selectee List, and boarding passes are used as evidence of that check having been performed, then a person fraudulently boarding a flight has not been checked against the No Fly List ... thereby making it a security issue.
Although Congress may have mandated it an unarmed person, who is on the NFL, boarding a plane is not a security threat either. Of interest to intelligence gatherers perhaps but I certainly hope they aren't relying on the TSA for their data.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
I'd love to be able to pull this off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoS2BU6bbQ
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: *wood Gold
I think my reply might become one of the following:

"You can call me 'sir'. That's all you need be concerned with."

"Am I free to go?" --> followed up with complaint and visit to attorney if the answer is no, since TSA is not permitted to detain people

"I choose to invoke my Constitutionally protected right to not speak. This does not in any way indicate my non-compliance with formally established procedures as outlined by your agency." --> If taken to the "wise guy timeout" room as a result, this phrase will be the only thing that is said, along with "Am I free to go?" and "I demand to speak with an attorney".

I realize that most won't bother to give TSA a hard time over this, and that's OK. It just makes all the more fun for those of us who want to exercise the power we have over TSA to give them a hard time.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by clrankin
I realize that most won't bother to give TSA a hard time over this, and that's OK. It just makes all the more fun for those of us who want to exercise the power we have over TSA to give them a hard time.
Yes, indeed. ^

Bruce
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold
"I haven't been able to speak my name since *looking off into the distance* (deep voice)...the academy."

Or

"In fairness, since you might be doing my opt-out groping, you tell me your name first, then after we can get drinks at the bar." Follow up with a wink. It would only work if it was same-sex, although you could go with "Tell me yours first, and I'll be waiting for your gentle touch at the opt-out in a few..."
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm on my way to IAH in a little while.

I am tempted to bring a note with me that says:

"I have severe laryngitis and I cannot speak. My name is pronounced exactly as it appears on my government issued passport and my boarding pass. Thank you and Happy Kwaanza".
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ktulu
"I haven't been able to speak my name since *looking off into the distance* (deep voice)...the academy."

Or

"In fairness, since you might be doing my opt-out groping, you tell me your name first, then after we can get drinks at the bar." Follow up with a wink. It would only work if it was same-sex, although you could go with "Tell me yours first, and I'll be waiting for your gentle touch at the opt-out in a few..."
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.