Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's started in Houston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mikemey
Awesome post! Not that it'll help, but the more of us who challenge this inane stupidity the better.
Yup. Great work!

Bruce
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Jimmy Hoffa.

Amelia Earhart.

Anastasia Romanov.

Or just bust out your best karaoke moves with this classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc

Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
How about rattling it off in military alpha code:

"What's your name?"

"Charlie, Hotel, Romeo, India, Sierra, Sierra, Uniform, Mike, Mike, Echo, Romeo, Sierra!"
Use this phonetic alphabet:

Aisle
Bdelium
Czar
Djakarta
Eulogy
Fanatic
Gnat
Hour
Iwo Jima
Juanita
Knob
Llama
Mnemonic
Ngwee
Oedipus
Pneumonia
Qatar
Rwanda
Szold
Tzar
Urn
Veldt
Wright (or Wrong)
Xylophone
Yttrium
Zweiback
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:57 am

Would replying "Adult illiteracy is nothing to be ashamed of. There are plenty of programs that can help you learn to read." get me a secondary?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:23 pm

Ice Station Zebra; Rock Hudson's character:

"We're on a first name basis here. My name is, "Captain."

-doug
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RadioGirl

That would be hilarious. I am as opposite in appearance to Mandy Patinkin in that role as is possible within the same species. And my pseudo-Spanish accent is cheesier than his.
Wait, that accent wasn't real?

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston

She calls a 2 stripper and then some 3 strippers come over and discuss the situation. Sorry for the sheep behind me and my wife who are now waiting but so be it. So they ask my wife her name and she says the same thing.

Someone goes and gets a 3 stripper who was back on the perch behind the screening area, and they also take our IDs and BPs. She comes over and says, "So what's up folks? They tell me you won't speak your name." I proceed to tell her that I have spoken with the TSA CS support and was told there is no official policy on a TSO asking my name and until I see the policy in writing I will not speak my name.
Refuse to state name, get multiple strippers. Finally, a TSA policy I can support! Do you have to bring your own dollar bills?

Mike
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:33 pm

You don't go to the airport expecting that the people who are there to match your ID (you know, the thing with your name printed on it) to your boarding pass (you got it - another thing with your name printed on it) need you to *PRONOUNCE* your name to them. If I hadn't known about this practice, I would have thought the screener had to be joking. Trying to pass this off as a serious security measure makes them look like bar bouncers, which is great if they're bar bouncers. But it's awfully embarrassing to see them behave like bar bouncers while their boss keeps trying to convince the public that they're the nation's professional security force.

I can also see some people misreading this as the screener hitting on the passenger. Outside the pointlessness from a security standpoint, it is really kind of creepy and rude to do this. It may feel to some people that the screener is creating a familiarity that doesn't exist. Others have also raised the legitimate concern that this practice also exposes their name to passengers near them in the line, who may also use it to create a familiarity that doesn't exist.

The whole idea is a fiasco.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Trying to pass this off as a serious security measure makes them look like bar bouncers, which is great if they're bar bouncers. But it's awfully embarrassing to see them behave like bar bouncers while their boss keeps trying to convince the public that they're the nation's professional security force.
I look young for my age and am quite used to being carded (although it doesn't happen as much as it used to ), and I've never had anyone ask me to pronounce my name in the course of obtaining an alcoholic beverage. Probably because drinking establishments aren't in the habit of ticking off customers with useless theatre.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:26 pm

Hrmm.. IAH trip coming up, I think my response will be "Sorry, that's SSI."

TSO: What's your name?
Me: Sorry, that's SSI ?
TSO: Excuse me?
Me: It's SSI, I can't tell you.
TSO: It's printed on your boarding pass right here.
Me: Then when would you be asking me then?

Or better yet, maybe say nothing and when they ask you to say it again, say "I just did". Those letters are silent in my pronunciation.

Last edited by tehiota; Jul 19, 2011 at 1:55 pm Reason: 2nd idea.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
How do you say your name if you are the artist formerly known as Prince?

"Stupid symbol."

Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by travfar
Would replying "Adult illiteracy is nothing to be ashamed of. There are plenty of programs that can help you learn to read." get me a secondary?
I think it would be better to pull a business card out of our wallet that says that you are a tutor for illiterate adults. Tell them that you can help them prepare for a real job.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Trying to pass this off as a serious security measure makes them look like bar bouncers...
It isn't even a frivolous security measure. A piece of paper (BP) or laminated plastic (DL) is not a threat. To anything.

An unarmed person boarding a flight fraudulently is well, fraud. Against the airline. Which brings us to TSA's incredibly tenuous rationale. Olajide Noibi boarded a Virgin America JFK-LAX for which he had not bought a ticket. The airline did not catch him (head count anyone ?) until too late. He tried to board a Delta LAX-ATL flight for which he had not bought a ticket. The airline did catch him; which is what the gate agents and cabin crew are trained and supposed to do. Instead of a charge of fraud he gets accused of "breaching airport security" which he did not considering he passed through all the layers() sucessfully; twice. No charges against two TSA TDC workers I see.

Stop this ID charade.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I think Ron White said it best when he told the story about the parking lot attendant. He doesn't take the attendant's crap. Attendant threatens to call the police and asks his first and last name.

He says "It's **** you ... *-*-C-K capital-Y-O-U. **** YOU!"

Seems fitting. Gets the message across And These guys have as much authority as a parking lot attendant anyway.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
It isn't even a frivolous security measure. A piece of paper (BP) or laminated plastic (DL) is not a threat. To anything.

An unarmed person boarding a flight fraudulently is well, fraud. Against the airline.
Yes, it is.

But as long as someone (TSA? DHS? Congress?) insists that passenger names be checked against the No Fly List and/or the Selectee List, and boarding passes are used as evidence of that check having been performed, then a person fraudulently boarding a flight has not been checked against the No Fly List ... thereby making it a security issue.

And, yes, one can trivially circumvent that check in any number of other ways. A leaky security measure is still a security measure, though ... no matter how leaky it is.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Yes, it is.

But as long as someone (TSA? DHS? Congress?) insists that passenger names be checked against the No Fly List and/or the Selectee List, and boarding passes are used as evidence of that check having been performed, then a person fraudulently boarding a flight has not been checked against the No Fly List ... thereby making it a security issue.

And, yes, one can trivially circumvent that check in any number of other ways. A leaky security measure is still a security measure, though ... no matter how leaky it is.
Who cares? The no fly list is less than useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.