Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am quite familiar with that, but it doesn't answer my question.

The question is one about whether or not DY has a history of having rebooked customers by buying tickets on other carriers' ticket stock when required under EC 261/2004.
Don't know, but I highly doubt they would buy tickets on other airlines.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems the settlement DY received from Boeing is pretty good, now DY is all nice:
"I believe that the 787 is an incredibly good aircraft," Kjos said in an interview. "It's even better on performance than we anticipated, the fuel burn is lower."

"I feel we have been extra unlucky," said the 67-year-old who once flew Cold War-era jet fighter

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9900GR20131001
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems the settlement DY received from Boeing is pretty good, now DY is all nice:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9900GR20131001
But even Mr Kjos is saying "Norwegian may have also rushed the plane too quickly into service after receiving it, not scheduling a transition period after the delivery delay created a schedule crunch, he said." Basically admitting they were not prepared properly...
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The way things are going with DY, you will be late. I'm certain its not the choice of DY, but thats how things are running right now...
We just got word from our beloved DY by SMS, that the flight to BKK today (DY7201) will depart at least one hour late (due to "technical issues" they say over the loudspeakers now). Looks like I will be a little late into BKK after all, let's see what happens. Things have been running more smoothly for DY the last week, so I have high hopes to bid Norway a fond farewell in just a couple of hours or so

UPDATE: Looks like the flight will leave around 17:00 now, that's one hour and forty minutes late. Still within my limits for my next flight out of BKK tomorrow.

UPDATE2: The long awaited dreamliner is being towed towards the gate as of this moment.

UPDATE3: We actually left at 17:35, two hours and fifteen minutes late and now I have finally arrived in BKK, equivalently late. Well, it could have been worse, as a few other passengeres lost their (even shorter) connections and ofcourse they were in shambles and yelled at DY (that's mandatory now right?) for not caring . I on the other hand found out that there is no way to transfer from a LCC to another "normal" carrier, so I had to go the long way through immigration and check-in and I had to go twice through security (because of my failed first attempt at transfering).

UPDATE4: Well, this feels like a pretty sad monologue right now, but wouldn't you know it, my connecting flight also got delayed (by 50 mins). I realize I can't be on a lucky streak every time, even though when I'm in Asia I always make sure to buy stuff and use services from vendors with "lucky" in the company name

UPDATE5: To further add to todays misery, there's no hot water in my hotel. What a terrific day ...

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Oct 6, 2013 at 5:39 am
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur12
What makes you think that the NYC-CPH flight is the same price as CPH-NYC ?
A simple check on their booking engine
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:03 am

Norwegian (DY) is pulling it's second Dreamliner out of operation, when the one that's already out for servicing is back.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9980I020131009

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Oct 11, 2013 at 12:14 am Reason: Incorrect information
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hillarious, Boeing supposedly 'redesigned' a pump for DY. Just like that. As if you don't need an STC if you change the design.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9990VF20131010

Also interesting to note that the 787 is grounded in ARN and 15 people are working on it. This must be costing Monarch/Boeing a serious amount of cash. I'm pretty sure SAS just didn't have hangar space lying around and gave it to Monarch for a friendship price...
Old Oct 12, 2013, 7:52 pm

My flight (DY7202) back from BKK to OSL today on Norwegian's (DY) Dreamliner is in fact delayed. Just half an hour this time (and they just opened up for boarding), but the fact that they always seem to be late is something I expect few people will easily ignore in the long run. DY risks that they will be known as the airline that is always delayed by performing so miserably on this point.

Snacky
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:12 pm

Holiday Fares to Oslo - $467 RT

Norwegian's fare calendar shows a $467 RT from JFK to Oslo over Christmas week. This is a nonstop flight -- departing Dec. 24, and returning Dec. 31.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Long haul from LGW (London Gatwick)?

Look out for an announcement tomorrow, predicted by Simon Calder in The Independent:
... on Thursday, the low-cost airline Norwegian will launch "some major long-haul routes" from Gatwick. If anyone would, Norwegian would, because it has both short- and long-haul planes. Naturally I asked where, and naturally the request was politely declined. So I have been speculating, starting with the existing Norwegian long-haul network from Scandinavia, suggesting Bangkok, New York or Los Angeles. Maybe, though, there is a chance of Honolulu or somewhere South American, ideally Lima.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...internalSearch (last item)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:30 pm

http://airlineroute.net/2013/10/17/dy-lgw787-s14/

From 02JUL14:
2 weekly LGW LAX
3 weekly LGW JFK
2 weekly LGW FLL
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:32 pm

Airlineroute has the schedules up already.
LAX 2x weekly starting July 2, JFK 3x starting July 3, and FLL 2x starting July 4.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Airlineroute has the schedules up already.
LAX 2x weekly starting July 2, JFK 3x starting July 3, and FLL 2x starting July 4.
Nice. It will be so crowding at terminal 4 customs. It was too many international passengers who flown from Caribbean & South American. It will be so crazy!! I don't think they have enough gate space. I think they will be towed over to DL terminal 2.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, folks.

FLL looks like a first from London non-stop and hopefully should avoid the dreadful welcome experience MIA reserves for visitors.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now bookable.

(Gulp!)

Originally Posted by e-mail from norwegian.com

NEW! London - New York - from £149* one way

NEW! London - Ft. Lauderdale-Florida - from £179* one way

NEW! London - Los Angeles - from £199* one way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.