Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
I wish you the best of luck. You seem to have had it so far - with only around 1 hour delay

Food for thought: How unhappy would each of us be if we for our three most recent IC trips with e.g. BA or SK have had a 1 hour delay?
I've had a 60+ minute delay on most of my 6+ hour flights in the past several weeks. However, 6+ hour delays on 6+ hour flights seem far more frequent with DY than any other long-haul carrier that I see flying in and out of my origin/destination. DY seems far removed from being a reliable enough carrier for me to use in the absence of a highly flexible schedule -- and it's unfortunate for me as I really wouldn't mind using them for cheap, no-luggage trips to NYC.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
It is now being reported (Danish media at least) the Norwegian is denying compensation to passengers caught in the delays right before and over Christmas and the same around New Year.

Yet at the same time considering seeking compensation from Boeing.

So which is it: technical or not?

DanishFlyer (who like others would probably not use Norwegian for long haul for a while yet, and don't even use it much for short haul)
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
OK, so I'm getting really nervous about my flight in June.

Courtesy of google translate:

Worms and mold is reported to be commonplace - in the food.

Now accused airline Norwegian extreme hygiene shortcomings of its own staff.

- It is terrible . I'm afraid that any traveler will become seriously ill , says senior cabin crew Anna .

When cabin crew Anna would serve a chicken dish to its passengers , she was shocked - it was crawling with worms in the food , she says. Anna and her colleagues at the airline Norwegian became frightened and threw the food. But it will be far from the first time, employees are discovering serious errors in the diet. Ever since last fall, when the Norwegian according to Anna began with a new type of packaging, it should not have happened very often .

- Many packages have been filled with mold and we have found worms in chicken law and tapas, says Anna , who is actually called something else.
Will keep for 180 days

She believes that matsnusket because the Norwegian want to save money . The company has started with foods that will stay fresh for 180 days . Therefore loaded same packages over and over again on the next flight, according to Anna .

- I am ashamed and afraid when I serve . Those who work on the aircraft would never eat it . We have another shipment.
Has alerted the company

Anna says staff have been sounding the alarm about matsnusket and even sent pictures. But the management should have ignored them .

Norwegian's management is not interested in an interview. But Communications Charlotte Holmbergh Jacobsson responds in an email : "If it is true that passengers have been served bad food , it's terrible , and of course totally unacceptable. We will immediately review our routines, " she writes , adding that one should contact the caterer who delivers the food.

Allegations matsnusk is the latest in a series of scandals shaking Norwegian .

During the Christmas and New Year holidays , hundreds of passengers have become beach - set around the world because of its problems with its new Dreamliner aircraft.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Just bring your own food, instead of buying onboard. There is no free food anyway, so you are in no way missing anything (except having it hot).

But yes, it is pretty gross, and I would hope that once it is clear the company doesn't do anything that staff or passengers would report to relevant athorities. Resaurants are temporarily closed for the same offenses...

DanishFlyer
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
My brother in law and niece fell badly ill after consuming DY inflight catering (some chicken sandwich). DYs response was basically 'sh!t happens, and how do we know its not something you ate someplace else'
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
My brother in law and niece fell badly ill after consuming DY inflight catering (some chicken sandwich). DYs response was basically 'sh!t happens, and how do we know its not something you ate someplace else'
Sounds like UA's response to food poisoning on its BRU flight. Fortunately I had some extra Scope travel bottles for those people.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If that was somewhere in Scandinavia, they should report this and the response to the proper authorities. In Denmark Fødevarestyrelsen. Not the guys looking after the flying part, but the guys looking after establishments serving food.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Norwegian Air sees potential for more growth at FLL?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...-air-crew-base

Will they become FLL focus cities? Expanding more specific new routes? Could see FLL-CUN/MEX and etc? How about some domestic USA flight as well.

Let the speculation begin.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by N830MH
Norwegian Air sees potential for more growth at FLL?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...-air-crew-base

Will they become FLL focus cities? Expanding more specific new routes? Could see FLL-CUN/MEX and etc? How about some domestic USA flight as well.

Let the speculation begin.
Domestic US is out of the question, unless they create an airline under American ownership and control. The 49%foreign ownership rule is still in place. Don't know how the rules for US to non-European destinations would work. But might also be an issue for a European carrier.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
ARN/CPH/OSL-CUN with a technical stop in FLL is OK, everything else is not.

The FLL crew base is probably due to the fact that deploying low wage BKK FAs on the entire longhaul network is getting costly.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:10 pm

So, on Friday I saw a Norwegian airplane land at Boeing Field here in Seattle. It was painted in the customary red and white.... although with nothing on the tail (yet). I am thinking this was probably one of DY's new 787's that Boeing is getting ready for delivery. Boeing Field is where the Boeing paint shop is, although the 787 is assembled north of here in Everett. Although I definitely have concerns about my upcoming travel on this carrier, it was still cool to see an actual Norwegian aircraft.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
ARN/CPH/OSL-CUN with a technical stop in FLL is OK, everything else is not.

The FLL crew base is probably due to the fact that deploying low wage BKK FAs on the entire longhaul network is getting costly.
Could be illegal by the law? They didn't have enough minimum wage. They have to be more than $15 hrs. It wasn't right about the salary.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Could be illegal by the law? They didn't have enough minimum wage. They have to be more than $15 hrs. It wasn't right about the salary.
What law says that? I'm not fully aware which law applies to internationally based flight crew, but the minimum wage in Florida is only $7.93. Is there a different one applying to flight crew that I haven't heard of before?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: HH Gold
Foreign transaction fee on Norwegian

I booked a flight with Norwegian from the US web site, using a BofA debit card. Then BofA charged a ~3% foreign transaction fee. Somehow Norwegian must have made the charge directly from Norway. Anyone else seen same?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by drtor
I booked a flight with Norwegian from the US web site, using a BofA debit card. Then BofA charged a ~3% foreign transaction fee. Somehow Norwegian must have made the charge directly from Norway. Anyone else seen same?
I was not charged a foreign transaction fee on my Wells Fargo debit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.