Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Well, it seems that DY is learning the hard way that long-haul is not as easy as short-haul. One of their 787 down (again) for repair at ARN.

Danish only:
http://epn.dk/brancher/transport/luf...er-i-hangaren/
It would be interesting to know why it is in Arlanda for repairs. (And who has the expertise in ARN to repair it) But with a fleet of only two (soon 3) that is bound to happen.

Conception is everything. DY advertises one way fares of DKK 999 between CPH and JFK. The average consumer will compare 999 (may times two for a return on a good day) to a believed SK price of DKK 4-6,000. DY is thus conceived to be waaay cheaper.

Reality is that the 999 price bucket was gone within hours of the announcment. In reality you are looking at at least DKK 4,000 return (DKK 1499+499 each way) - which is pretty damn close to SK fares. And then you have too add all the extras on DY (water, entertainment, blanket - yes USD 5 to borrow a blanket for a few hours). And the you have to deal with DYs terrible ground service on top (as a weekly regular on DY I am by no means impressed).

Great with competition and more direct routes - but I am unlikely to be on a DY 787.
It is a funny perception, and I guess it will stick with many leisure travellers and they will go Norwegian first, book there because it is "cheap" without any comparision. (reminds me of trip with some friends, the booked with the "cheap" Sterling as it was back then, I booked business on Spanair for only dkk 300 more. I guess that is the price they paid for not checking properly. And I guess there will be a fair amount of people trapped by the "gotcha prices" of Norwegian.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It would be interesting to know why it is in Arlanda for repairs. (And who has the expertise in ARN to repair it) But with a fleet of only two (soon 3) that is bound to happen.
DY must have a MRO contract in place for the 788 and a fallback scenario. It seems HiFly continues to help out, probably paid by Boeing.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
DY must have a MRO contract in place for the 788 and a fallback scenario. It seems HiFly continues to help out, probably paid by Boeing.
I am sure they do, but as the bird is still pretty rare in Stockholm, I wonder where the closet spares and trained engineers are. Would be pretty costly to have them on stand by in ARN I would assume. Boeing's chipping in the cot would probably depend heavily on the cause of the issue.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

It is a funny perception, and I guess it will stick with many leisure travellers and they will go Norwegian first, book there because it is "cheap" without any comparision. (reminds me of trip with some friends, the booked with the "cheap" Sterling as it was back then, I booked business on Spanair for only dkk 300 more. I guess that is the price they paid for not checking properly. And I guess there will be a fair amount of people trapped by the "gotcha prices" of Norwegian.
When Boeing have been involved and it's something regional, it often tends to be done in Sweden at Arlanda. It's been that way for just about anything Boeing related going back decades now. Even when Boeing is not involved, the depth of skill set for repairs on commercial carriers tend to be deeper in Sweden than anywhere else in Scandinavia.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It seems DY bought the Boeing 'GoldCare' package for the 787 MRO:
http://atwonline.com/operations/norw...care-agreement

Goldcare in Europe is done by Monarch: http://www.monarchaircraftengineerin...ews/Details/25

So my guess is the DY 788 got stranded in ARN and can't fly, so Monarch is using one of SAS's hangars to fix whatever is wrong...
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems DY bought the Boeing 'GoldCare' package for the 787 MRO:
http://atwonline.com/operations/norw...care-agreement

Goldcare in Europe is done by Monarch: http://www.monarchaircraftengineerin...ews/Details/25

So my guess is the DY 788 got stranded in ARN and can't fly, so Monarch is using one of SAS's hangars to fix whatever is wrong...
Now that you mention it, I remember reading about DY buying the GoldCare package. But still, a bit unfortunate airport to get the bird stuck in it will take more time to get it ready if they have to fly in the engineers. I wonder if the start up difficulties will have an effect on people's willingness to rebook DY. Will it slow their progress, or is perceived price too strong a factor?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:46 pm

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about DY buying the GoldCare package. But still, a bit unfortunate airport to get the bird stuck in it will take more time to get it ready if they have to fly in the engineers. I wonder if the start up difficulties will have an effect on people's willingness to rebook DY. Will it slow their progress, or is perceived price too strong a factor?
Price is king for DY. All other elements fall far behind, including service, reliability on-time departures, etc. Despite flying all summer with HiFly 340s and numerous 12 hour+ delays - it still perceived as great offer (peopel just want to get screwed).
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Price is king for DY. All other elements fall far behind, including service, reliability on-time departures, etc. Despite flying all summer with HiFly 340s and numerous 12 hour+ delays - it still perceived as great offer (peopel just want to get screwed).
Well, you can say that it is a great offer. It is just a pretty poor reality. ;-)

But as Ryan Air has shown over quite a few years by now, being screwed by your airline is quite acceptable. The chances are it will only happen to the guy next door and not you.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by dwooley
sample int from their site, nice.

Fort Lauderdale-Florida - Copenhagen
Sunday 1. Dec 2013 21:30 - Terminal: 4
Flight DY7040 - LowFare
Operated by Norwegian Long Haul
1 Adult $234.00
Return
Copenhagen - Fort Lauderdale-Florida
Friday 21. Feb 2014 14:45 - Terminal: 2
Flight DY7039 - LowFare
Operated by Norwegian Long Haul
1 Adult $275.80
Total price
incl. all taxes and surcharges $509.80
It depends on how you look at it - you will have to add USD 90 per leg for bagage, food, pre-reserved seat (if you actually want to sit ext to the one you are travelling with) - plus all the extras (USD 5 to borrow a blanket for instance). So total price ends up on the wrong side of USD 700. Is that inexpensive - may be so. But by no means unheard of.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:58 am

Oooop - here we go again

http://epn.dk/brancher/transport/luf...-aflyser-igen/

another 24+ hour delay - this time BKK-OSL
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:47 pm

And again

Another DY 787 experience of the sort that you do not want:
http://www.vg.no/reise/artikkel.php?artid=10151700
This time OSL-JFK

This is starting to get critical for DY - it is a leadstory on dr.dk and obviously vg.no has it as well.

Currently there is a very high percentage of DY long haul flight that gets a major dealy 6-25 hours. Me thinks I would choose another airline for now
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:22 am

Hifly must be very very happy:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-fleet-390322/
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I booked a $291 OAK-OSL for 06/06/14. Wish me luck.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:21 am

You will be needing all the luck you can get ...

Snacky
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I'm thinking the return will be on FI, direct to Seattle. It's actually much cheaper than Norwegian to Oakland, factoring in the baggage and seat reservation fees. For the outbound, I was seduced by that $291 fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.