Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by 4sallypat
So our family booked a last minute budget spring trip to Europe in 2 weeks.
4 Low Fare tickets LAX-MAD and CDG-LAX flying a 787 Dreamliner.
Strange that the air tickets are so low so close to departure and the seats that have been "taken" are very low - makes me worry that they might cancel the flight ?
Never used Norwegian to Europe - we usually fly BA or Delta.

So my questions using a LCC for long haul:
1. If we bought 4 tickets on one receipt, will the agent at the counter assign us seats together ? Can we ask for together seats assuming they are available ?
2. The NAS website shows personal and carry on can not exceed 10kg. The email I received says Max 10 kg, Max 55 x 40 x 23 cm - do they actually measure it or weight it or both ?
3. Is the food worth it to pay ? I think $45 is a bit excessive for economy meal.... We were planning on filling up at the airport lounge (KAL) before the flight. Really wished the Centurion lounge was ready then.....
This isn't BA or Delta. As long as your travel plans are extremely flexible in terms of date of departure/return, city of origin/destination, having to repurchase tickets on another airline, Norwegian is an option.
All of your questions are answered in this subforum in multiple threads. Probably worth the time for you to read the various Norwegian threads. Caveat Emptor.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Originally Posted by 4sallypat
So our family booked a last minute budget spring trip to Europe in 2 weeks.
4 Low Fare tickets LAX-MAD and CDG-LAX flying a 787 Dreamliner.
Strange that the air tickets are so low so close to departure and the seats that have been "taken" are very low - makes me worry that they might cancel the flight ?
Never used Norwegian to Europe - we usually fly BA or Delta.

So my questions using a LCC for long haul:
1. If we bought 4 tickets on one receipt, will the agent at the counter assign us seats together ? Can we ask for together seats assuming they are available ?

Not sure. I always paid for a seat selection. It was worth the extra money.

2. The NAS website shows personal and carry on can not exceed 10kg. The email I received says Max 10 kg, Max 55 x 40 x 23 cm - do they actually measure it or weight it or both ?

Not measured but yes did weigh my carry on and personnel item.
3. Is the food worth it to pay ? I think
$45 is a bit excessive for economy meal.... We were planning on filling up at the airport lounge (KAL) before the flight. Really wished the Centurion lounge was ready then.....
Bring your own food. Use the money to select a seat.

ML
4sallypat likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:42 pm

There's already a Norwegian thread. Also, they announced this a long time ago.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Originally Posted by nologic
in-flight cocktails/hard liquor drinks are no longer complimentary in Premium class, just beer and wine/sparkling wine.
Yes, I noticed that the drinks were cut off on our FLL-CPH flight at the end of January. One can live without, but given that the airline wines in general are not very good, it is a disappointment.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by oot
We found a deal on Lastminute.com that included luggage and seat selection at a much discounted rate to the website, so that worked well for us. Otherwise it would have added some £100 to our fare
oot Sounds like a great offer! Was the baggage discount in conjunction with a ticket purchase, or was it offered as a separate deal?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Norwegian announces the end of all long-haul service from Stockholm/ARN and from Copenhagen/CPH.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Norwegian announces the end of all long-haul service from Stockholm/ARN and from Copenhagen/CPH.
A surprising decision. But I guess probably needed. I could not find any indication in the articles I read what it meant for the total number of long haul flights from Scandinavia. I doubt though that OSL has space to be home for all of the current flights.

Did you see any indication on the total number of flights after the consolidation in Oslo?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
A surprising decision. But I guess probably needed. I could not find any indication in the articles I read what it meant for the total number of long haul flights from Scandinavia. I doubt though that OSL has space to be home for all of the current flights.
Surprising? It seems to have been sort of expected all month by some and this was the denouement for the month's stock price run-up.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Surprising? It seems to have been sort of expected all month by some and this was the denouement for the month's stock price run-up.
I must not follow Norwegian enough in the financial media. I did expect some route adjustments, but putting it all in one airport, I did not see that coming.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:08 am
Suspended

OSL is the last great refuge of Norwegian, but Norwegian has been on a massive long-haul retreat even before they publicly confirmed the complete retreat plans for ARN and CPH long-haul. Even OSL won't be home to all those current Norwegian long-haul planes in use by Norwegian.

The stock price run up was a comment about SAS's stock price, given that is where you seem to be more vested.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 27, 2019 at 4:27 am
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:13 am

Sad news. Sorry to see them go. We loved being able to get a direct flight from CPH-MCO and found the premium economy cabin, service and price all quite good in comparison to other options.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:40 am
Suspended

The disappearance of Norwegian long-haul from ARN and CPH is going to end up costing me money by way of higher ticket prices. That fundamentally means getting less value for my money when it comes to buying tickets for long-haul flights on the legacy major airlines even as someone who stuck to the legacy majors despite the inconvenience at times.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is probably going to cause an increase prices, but if Norwegian are unable to operate profitably at the prices the set, they services must eventually end. Norwegian tried and lost.

Competition will come from other angles, and prices will drop again. Let's see if the next round is more long term sustainable.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:54 am
Suspended

More long term sustainable? Even the banks that were many hundreds of years old end up biting the dust eventually. Other kinds of businesses? They all join their founders eventually.

Monopolies and oligopolies can make firms more long-term sustainable, but that tends to be bad for consumers over the longer-term. And what can be even worse for consumers is that an increasingly-concentrated industry means that the remaining firms in the industry are more likely to successfully engage in regulatory and other governmental capture than a highly fragmented and highly competitive marketplace and thereby tend to make things even worse for consumers than would otherwise be the case.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 27, 2019 at 6:01 am
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

So Norwegian wants to move these planes to fly Barcelona/London/Paris to the US.

Given what the US3 and EU3 charge for summer travel from the US to Europe, this may help Norwegian buy some time to play around with the big birds until it finds it can or must unload those long-haul flying planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.