Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
As low end as SK offering across the pond may be, DY is trying to top that with their business model. I think everything but the use of the lav costs extra and the seats are super cramped from the 788 reports I read. SK is definitely going to loose the low end of the market. But OTOH has that market not already left some years ago??
While the economy offering seems a bit worse than SK (31" for instance, same as LH and BA) their premium (=Economy Plus) offering seems very competitive against other E+ (BA, SK, FI Saga etc) both on Seat pitch and width. The price is also lower.

I'm looking forward to buy a one-way non-stop westbound premium ticket for around 800$. Hopefully I'll be able to score award C tickets for the eastbound TATL
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Norwegian just announced three new destinations in USA: LAX, OAK and MCO. ^
But, dkk 1499 +499 (luggage and food) + any glass of water in between meals means minimum dkk 4000 return to LAX from CPH. It is a good price, but BA can do 4600 return and LH 4400 on a quick check. So not really outstandingly good.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As I somehow overlooked this thread, I'll allow myself to double post...

With a price at dkk 1499 +499 (luggage and food) + any glass of water in between meals, it means minimum dkk 4000 return to LAX from CPH. It is a low price, but BA can do 4600 return and LH 4400 on a quick check without really looking. So not really outstandingly good, and even with the short comings of service in economy of LH and BA, I am sure they outshine DY by far.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
As low end as SK offering across the pond may be, DY is trying to top that with their business model. I think everything but the use of the lav costs extra and the seats are super cramped from the 788 reports I read. SK is definitely going to loose the low end of the market. But OTOH has that market not already left some years ago??
DY's TATL service does sound pretty awful, but I'm sure they will eat at least a bit into SK's market.

From what I have seen, the back of SK's flying buses on the TATL routes don't seem to have indicated that they lost the low end of the market years ago. Whenever last year and this year that I have ended up on the back of the SK flying bus TATL, there are a lot of large/charter tour group types, including things like school groups. Maybe my op-up chances on SK will drop as a result of this.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Group fares are not that bad for the airline... with the low end I mean folks who just do a price comparison and just buy whatever is cheap, be it on Iceland Air, Air Transat, Apollo, etc etc.

DY vs BA/LH/AF: the only thing they have on the positive side is the direct flight and a slight (implied) price advantage. Where it goes south is when things go wrong: I doubt DY will follow EU261/04 proactively and offer alternative routings. I don't think customers are used to this on longhaul, so I would expect some really bad press in the coming month.

Another example of DY in JFK: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...norwegian.html
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But, dkk 1499 +499 (luggage and food) + any glass of water in between meals means minimum dkk 4000 return to LAX from CPH. It is a good price, but BA can do 4600 return and LH 4400 on a quick check. So not really outstandingly good.
I personally like Norwegian, but it would depend on their seat pitch, etc.

Also would depend on the fare bases of the LH or BA sectors.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have had to deal with AB, AF, AY, DL, KL and UA failing to proactively follow EU261/04 with regard to alternative routing as well as otherwise within the past 12 months. Can't get much worse than that, although I doubt DY are going to be any better than AB/AF/AY/DL/KL/UA when it comes to irregular operations where Reg 261/2004 elements come into play. Rather I expect that Norwegian will be even more of a pain in the neck in this regard; however, that isn't saying a whole lot when most of their customers will be infrequent flyers for whom flying to the US is more akin to an annual or infrequent treat than even a quarterly trip -- much like with the back of the flying SK bus.

Is Norwegian going to be like AB and increasingly some older legacy carriers and cut back on the number of bathrooms per passengers compared to what used to be more normal?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

DY doesn't even have interline agreements with most alternative carriers, so its pretty much going to be 'wait till we have space on our next flight' or you have travel insurance and just buy an alternative ticket from scratch.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As I somehow overlooked this thread, I'll allow myself to double post...

With a price at dkk 1499 +499 (luggage and food) + any glass of water in between meals, it means minimum dkk 4000 return to LAX from CPH. It is a low price, but BA can do 4600 return and LH 4400 on a quick check without really looking. So not really outstandingly good, and even with the short comings of service in economy of LH and BA, I am sure they outshine DY by far.
Conception is everything. DY advertises one way fares of DKK 999 between CPH and JFK. The average consumer will compare 999 (may times two for a return on a good day) to a believed SK price of DKK 4-6,000. DY is thus conceived to be waaay cheaper.

Reality is that the 999 price bucket was gone within hours of the announcment. In reality you are looking at at least DKK 4,000 return (DKK 1499+499 each way) - which is pretty damn close to SK fares. And then you have too add all the extras on DY (water, entertainment, blanket - yes USD 5 to borrow a blanket for a few hours). And the you have to deal with DYs terrible ground service on top (as a weekly regular on DY I am by no means impressed).

Great with competition and more direct routes - but I am unlikely to be on a DY 787.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by chrisljo
While the economy offering seems a bit worse than SK (31" for instance, same as LH and BA) their premium (=Economy Plus) offering seems very competitive against other E+ (BA, SK, FI Saga etc) both on Seat pitch and width. The price is also lower.
I didn't actually find this to be true when I investigated the CPH-FLL option in premium economy vs. Icelandair business class CPH-SFB a few months ago. Icelandair business class was less expensive and fully flexible/refundable vs. the DY non-flexible price in premium economy. While FI's business class seat more resembles a premium economy seat on other major carriers, the service is business class and I'm guessing superior to DY's premium.

And with some FT-inspired creativity, it is possible to fly business class on a Star Alliance carrier for about the same price or a little less (although may lose that option if US leave Star for OneWorld, depending on the outcome of the merger with AA).

My excitement from up thread was quashed when I queried a potential connection with DY from CPH-MCO via OSL and found that it required a 5 1/2 hour layover on the outbound, and 6 hours 40 minutes on the return. Hopefully, DY will tweak some of their intra-Scandinavia schedules to achieve better connections by the time the TATL flights launch.

The infrequency of the flights could also be a concern in case of IRROPS as mentioned above.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:37 am

I doubt they will try to use feeder flights to fill their longhaul, just complicates things. The other day at ARN T4 while waiting for my luggage I noticed quite a few DY transfer bags that were merrily lying on the belt at luggage claim. DY is not a network carrier.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I didn't actually find this to be true when I investigated the CPH-FLL option in premium economy vs. Icelandair business class CPH-SFB a few months ago. Icelandair business class was less expensive and fully flexible/refundable vs. the DY non-flexible price in premium economy. While FI's business class seat more resembles a premium economy seat on other major carriers, the service is business class and I'm guessing superior to DY's premium.
True, while I've never tried it FI Saga seems to be the best E+ TATL offering there is, especially considering flexibility.

Originally Posted by SusanDK
And with some FT-inspired creativity, it is possible to fly business class on a Star Alliance carrier for about the same price or a little less (although may lose that option if US leave Star for OneWorld, depending on the outcome of the merger with AA).
Also true, but DY has better availability on their 800-1000$ premium one ways making it a good option if you can only find C award one direction or if you need a particular date.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:52 pm

How's the Norwegian coach experience?

Norwegian just announced 787 dreamliner flights from Oakland to Europe. Initial fares are really low. But I don't know anyone who has flown Norwegian for a long flight. How's the seat pitch? Is it full sardine treatment (a Norwegian airline - pun intended)? How does it compare with legacy airline coach seating to Europe? Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Various
It's a fairly new operation so not many people have flown them long haul. It does seem like seat pitch is bad and you have to purchase food and drinks separately(so check what the total cost is before confirming).
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:24 am

Well, it seems that DY is learning the hard way that long-haul is not as easy as short-haul. One of their 787 down (again) for repair at ARN.

Danish only:
http://epn.dk/brancher/transport/luf...er-i-hangaren/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.