Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines announces nonstop TPE- ONT (Ontario)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Could be any number of maintenance issue. I wouldn't automatically assume it has something to do with the pilots or landing in windy ops. ONT being an out station means it will take longer to deal with anything that may require parts or length ground inspection.

I mean it could be something totally innocuous like a clogged toilet or broken oven in the galley.
26volt likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by bzcat
Could be any number of maintenance issue. I wouldn't automatically assume it has something to do with the pilots or landing in windy ops. ONT being an out station means it will take longer to deal with anything that may require parts or length ground inspection.

I mean it could be something totally innocuous like a clogged toilet or broken oven in the galley.
One of the workers just posted on ONT's planespotter's page, and you're right. They just needed a replacement part.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by 26volt
Seems something might be wonky with CI's A350's or the pilots are having issues with ONT's windy conditions since CI again cancelled its night flight out of safety to today @3:50p. The aircraft that was going to be used last night was B-18909. Seems they're going to be using today's TPE arrival B-18902 for the return flight to TPE. Tonight's flight is still on @10:50p with B-18909.
You'd be surprised how well BR and CI pilots land in the wind. Year round, they face some pretty nasty winds at TPE because of it's location and direction in addition to the pre-typhoon and post-typhoon winds throughout the summer.
26volt likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Coolfish let us know if CI has notified you, though either CI's website is being wonky or they've cut the route since they're not selling tickets on their website. I checked various dates, from 1/14, 2/14, 3/18 and only get the message, 'Sorry, your itinerary is temporarily not available.'
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Coolfish let us know if CI has notified you, though either CI's website is being wonky or they've cut the route since they're not selling tickets on their website. I checked various dates, from 1/14, 2/14, 3/18 and only get the message, 'Sorry, your itinerary is temporarily not available.'
I think if it was truely being cancelled they would not just stop selling seats before announcing it was cutting the route. Flights flying out in 4-5 days are definately going to happen. So most likely a system error.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
My ticket is still valid. Those aren't the dates I am flying though.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tris06
I think if it was truely being cancelled they would not just stop selling seats before announcing it was cutting the route. Flights flying out in 4-5 days are definately going to happen. So most likely a system error.
Although this probably isn't the case for this time, airlines often do stop selling seats (or restrict seats to the highest fare class only) prior to the announcement.

GDS still shows plenty of seats available in all fare buckets except X/L/S
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:36 pm

It seems like TPE-ONT vv has been filling with the time change and aircraft swap.

I am wondering if there is a market for TPE-NRT-ONT vv where CI can utilize the fifth freedom that's no longer in operation with NRT-HNL cut (but no feed on both sides)?

Something like:

CI 106 TPE-NRT 1620-2020
NRT-ONT 0005-1720-1

ONT-NRT 0005-0540+1
CI 107 NRT-TPE 0920-1230

...or is it too far away from the Japanese market as they are mostly located in Little Tokyo, Torrance and around the beach area?

Last edited by coolfish1103; Jan 19, 2019 at 7:43 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
CI 106 TPE-NRT 1620-2020
NRT-ONT 0005-1720-1

ONT-NRT 0005-0540
CI 107 NRT-TPE 0920-1230
NRT doesn't operate that early/late for sure due to curfew. HND maybe.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
NRT doesn't operate that early/late for sure due to curfew. HND maybe.
Oh I forgot about the curfew, so need to re-time it. Don't think Taiwan got any fifth freedom for Haneda otherwise that would be an excellent option.

CI 106 TPE-NRT 1620-2020
NRT-ONT 2220-1535

ONT-NRT 0030-0605+1
CI 107 NRT-TPE 0920-1230

Last edited by coolfish1103; Jan 19, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by coolfish1103

...or is it too far away from the Japanese market as they are mostly located in Little Tokyo, Torrance and around the beach area?
That market is too close to LAX, plus it's been train-wrecked by Toyota's move to Texas. My favorite very traditional Japanese restaurant in Torrance that was home to countless Japanese executive dinners, Japanese sport's heroes and other celebrities, recently realized their entire prime market was gone (as in gone to Texas) and revamped their menu to 'fusion' to be more appealing to western tastes. I am not amused at all.

I believe Hyundai is moving into some of the areas vacated by Toyota, so that market will begin to skew towards Korean culture over time, but either way, both the traditional Japanese and Korean markets are too far out of the ONT catchment for this to work. They would be better off running something like ONT-TPE-PEK, but even that doesn't make much sense when you can drive to LAX and do that route nonstop.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That market is too close to LAX, plus it's been train-wrecked by Toyota's move to Texas. My favorite very traditional Japanese restaurant in Torrance that was home to countless Japanese executive dinners, Japanese sport's heroes and other celebrities, recently realized their entire prime market was gone (as in gone to Texas) and revamped their menu to 'fusion' to be more appealing to western tastes. I am not amused at all.
Could TPE-NRT-DFW work or would AA have the NRT-DFW part completely on lock?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:59 am

...revamped their menu to 'fusion' to be more appealing to western tastes. I am not amused at all.
Which restaurant?

I believe Hyundai is moving into some of the areas vacated by Toyota, so that market will begin to skew towards Korean culture over time, but either way, both the traditional Japanese and Korean markets are too far out of the ONT catchment for this to work. They would be better off running something like ONT-TPE-PEK, but even that doesn't make much sense when you can drive to LAX and do that route nonstop.
They can already do PEK with their current flight, so that's not considered. It's to see if there is any fifth freedom that's operate-able, so I put NRT on the table. ICN is probably do able as a Skyteam hub but no fifth freedom there. I'd like to think KIX may work but EVA has struggled before and now JL has a flight (which makes no sense to compete).

Ever since the flight and time change this flight has been filling. Maybe just do a second night flight if ONT-TPE demand is that high?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When CI did TPE-KIX-JFK, everyone thought it was a great idea but it did not work out. So, I don't know if they would try TPE-TYO-ONT. I also think it sort of defeats the purpose - you don't have to deal with traffic to LAX but you end up spending more time with the stop.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by username
When CI did TPE-KIX-JFK, everyone thought it was a great idea but it did not work out. So, I don't know if they would try TPE-TYO-ONT. I also think it sort of defeats the purpose - you don't have to deal with traffic to LAX but you end up spending more time with the stop.
It would be gearing at traffic ending in Japan, not for transits. TPE-NRT vv can stand on it's own.

Any transit flights should be geared towards TPE for transfer, like the PEK example.

KIX was a good idea as there wasn't any direct flight for KIX-JFK vv, but it cannibalized the TPE-JFK vv and the passengers weren't happy to clear customs in JFK and have to stop in KIX compared to clearing at ANC and just walk out as domestic in JFK. KIX-ONT vv is an idea but I don't think it will work as JL already has a KIX-LAX vv. flight in operation. Passengers will opt for the JL flight as it's closer to their community and the market at Osaka is really not that large in comparison to Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.