Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines announces nonstop TPE- ONT (Ontario)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
China Airlines announces nonstop TPE- ONT (Ontario)

http://www.dailybulletin.com/2017/09...n-spring-2018/

Great move for both Ontario airport and CI. I have never seen Boeing 777 landed in Ontario. I hope more airlines followed.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
This route could do well.

Majority of Taiwanese, Chinese, and Philippinos actually live closer to ONT than LAX.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by krispykrme
This route could do well.

Majority of Taiwanese, Chinese, and Philippinos actually live closer to ONT than LAX.
Can it really do well with a 77W, though? It seems like a very leisure-oriented route, which doesn't exactly reflect the premium-heavy configuration of the 77W.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Can it really do well with a 77W, though? It seems like a very leisure-oriented route, which doesn't exactly reflect the premium-heavy configuration of the 77W.
I think this route is good for anyone who will have a easier time to ONT than LAX - whether it is a business person living in Orange County/Inland Empire or an Overseas Resident from Taiwan or other CI destinations (who might or might not be paying for Y, Premium Economy or Business). The Taiwanese population in SoCal is probably the most affluent in North America.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by username
I think this route is good for anyone who will have a easier time to ONT than LAX - whether it is a business person living in Orange County/Inland Empire or an Overseas Resident from Taiwan or other CI destinations (who might or might not be paying for Y, Premium Economy or Business). The Taiwanese population in SoCal is probably the most affluent in North America.
Plenty of "affluent" Taiwanese people will not fork out the money to fly J even though they can. If the affluent population were seriously so large(and so willing to spend money), why can't they fill up the J or PE cabins on the LAX flights with high-yield pax? Yield(and loads for J) for LAX J and PE cabin are garbage for both CI and BR.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Plenty of "affluent" Taiwanese people will not fork out the money to fly J even though they can. If the affluent population were seriously so large(and so willing to spend money), why can't they fill up the J or PE cabins on the LAX flights with high-yield pax? Yield(and loads for J) for LAX J and PE cabin are garbage for both CI and BR.
You are obviously more plugged in than I am so I won't argue with you.

The Taiwanese either has their numbers all figured out or engage in irrational price competition I guess only time will tell. There were lots of debate here when BR started YYZ and it seemed to have worked out.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by username
You are obviously more plugged in than I am so I won't argue with you.

The Taiwanese either has their numbers all figured out or engage in irrational price competition I guess only time will tell. There were lots of debate here when BR started YYZ and it seemed to have worked out.
BR YYZ has ok yields. There is barely any competition so they can still keep the prices in a somewhat decent range.
On the other hand, LAX has an extremely competitive market for Asian routes. This greatly affects prices as they always compete in "who can go the lowest".

For LAX, BR and CI tend to see lots of people buying PE and then using miles for upgrades. It's smart since they know there is barely any business travel(other than during CES or some tech conference) so the upgrades will easily clear but it is not good for the airline's yields.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Upgrades for CI don't come by as easily anymore when you have to purchase the very expensive booking codes to upgrade, so I don't think it matters than much for CI whether it's upgrade pax or regular demands.

There are revenue pax on this route. LAX is the most premium heavy out of all the networks for CI. I think it should do okay as long as they give enough incentives to fly ONT, not to say ONT is offering them 1st year free for landing fee and terminal usage.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I have to say that I am very surprised at this. Would never have expected it.

I do wonder if cargo is a factor in this decision as ONT is a hub for UPS and the area has warehouses galore as well as a good location for distribution throughout much of the southwest.

Regarding the facilities, I wonder if they will build a lounge for premium pax? ONT is a nice though vastly underused facility, but it is by no means luxurious.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
I don't know about poor yield.

I flew in and out of LA once this year in J. J was full both ways (BR16 and BR11).

Don't know if it's all upgrade. But load wasn't bad.

CI has partner with UPS and FedEx as well.

I still think this route route will do well.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Coolfish is right. The Cheapest PE and only the most exspensive Economy fares are upgradable to business class. This means CI is extracting a little more premium on the lower classes which helps with yields. And yes they have cut down on availability for upgrades. You really need to do it 2/3months before hand if you want a better than 50/50 chance of mileage upgrade.

LAX just has so much premium seats flying out that is obviously affect bookings.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I have to say that I am very surprised at this. Would never have expected it.

I do wonder if cargo is a factor in this decision as ONT is a hub for UPS and the area has warehouses galore as well as a good location for distribution throughout much of the southwest.

Regarding the facilities, I wonder if they will build a lounge for premium pax? ONT is a nice though vastly underused facility, but it is by no means luxurious.
We covered the cargo topic before in another thread. ONT is a terrible place for cargo operation because the related business (freight consolidator, bonded warehouse, custom brokers, logistics etc) are located near LAX.

UPS can setup in ONT because UPS is its own consolidator, warehouse, custom broker, and logistic handler. UPS also ships packages and letters, not bulk cargo. Airline cargo and UPS are both "cargo" business in the same way that McDonald's and meat packing warehouse are both in the "food" business.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold
If the prices are right (which I found ONT always to be higher) We'll definitely be flying out from there.

I wonder if it'll be easier for my grandmother to get a seat since she's nonrev first class (though it's just premium business now). There's been quite a few times they wouldn't ticket her because they claimed the plane was overweight.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
How can your grandmother be non rev first class every time? Does You family send her all your mileage awards? If so that is very good for you. Again if She wants business class she will need to book A,W or U class on PE now. E will not be upgradable. Usually the price difference between E and U is 30 or 40 percent more exspensive. So the airline is Still getting decent revenue.

ONT will likely be easily upgradable.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by tris06
How can your grandmother be non rev first class every time? Does You family send her all your mileage awards? If so that is very good for you. Again if She wants business class she will need to book A,W or U class on PE now. E will not be upgradable. Usually the price difference between E and U is 30 or 40 percent more exspensive. So the airline is Still getting decent revenue.

ONT will likely be easily upgradable.
My uncle (her son) is a senior captin for CI, he's been flying for them for about 25 years now!

It used to be economy seats, then went up to business and now its first (if available)

We just call in and ask if there's space, wait at the airport and go on standby. Most of the time she can get on fine. I'm not sure how many free flights she gets but I know she takes this route at least once a year.

She says she prefers the F cabin on the old 747's as they were more private and it was on the smaller upper deck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.