Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines announces nonstop TPE- ONT (Ontario)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Which restaurant?
Sanuki No Sato in Gardena.

They can already do PEK with their current flight, so that's not considered. It's to see if there is any fifth freedom that's operate-able, so I put NRT on the table. ICN is probably do able as a Skyteam hub but no fifth freedom there. I'd like to think KIX may work but EVA has struggled before and now JL has a flight (which makes no sense to compete).

Ever since the flight and time change this flight has been filling. Maybe just do a second night flight if ONT-TPE demand is that high?
I would agree - both CI and BR have robust connecting networks in TPE, and adding more seats to accommodate O/D and connecting demand and sticking with the basics is probably better than experimenting with what onward connection would work best, especially given that upon arrival in TPE, everyone needs to deplane and go through transfer formalities anyway, so what does it matter if a customer is getting on a new plane an hour later. Just focus on building out the ONT customer base over to TPE.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Could TPE-NRT-DFW work or would AA have the NRT-DFW part completely on lock?
AA and JAL are already running NRT/DFW - but there would be very limited traffic originating in TPE that would want to stop in NRT enroute to DFW, and very little TPE-DFW traffic, so the flight would be relying on picking up customers in NRT or HND. It's faster to fly TPE-LAX and then LAX-DFW than TPE-NRT-DFW.

Even with the Toyota move, I'm not aware of anyone else adding service between Japan and Dallas - NH has not requested rights to my knowledge, which hints the traffic is not there beyond what AA/JAL are already running
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I would presume this is to add on top of the current direct flight. So the other question would be could CI have the spare capacity to add another A350 to this route. If not they would need to put a B777 on an A350 route. Also was CI planning to add Milan and Prague this year? Which surely they would need to use A350 at first.

AKL-BNE-TPE route may ... may be able to support a B777 year round. SFO is A350 or B777 currently? SFO could handle B777 as well as FRA if they are using A350s currently.

I just don't think I see it happening to be honest unless the cost of adding a 2nd flight into ONT is really much cheaper. No way the original lounge could support 2 flights within 2hrs of each other. The new lounge, sure would be okay.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by tris06
I would presume this is to add on top of the current direct flight. So the other question would be could CI have the spare capacity to add another A350 to this route. If not they would need to put a B777 on an A350 route. Also was CI planning to add Milan and Prague this year? Which surely they would need to use A350 at first.

AKL-BNE-TPE route may ... may be able to support a B777 year round. SFO is A350 or B777 currently? SFO could handle B777 as well as FRA if they are using A350s currently.

I just don't think I see it happening to be honest unless the cost of adding a 2nd flight into ONT is really much cheaper. No way the original lounge could support 2 flights within 2hrs of each other. The new lounge, sure would be okay.
I don't think they have another 359 available unless they throw more 77W to other routes (like AMS). Ho has been holding back on buying new planes, so probably nothing will mature the coming year.

For now probably best to just swap 77W back in here if there is high demand.

SFO is 77W.

It's just a random thought, CI has been getting rid of all the fifth freedom flights since it's not so profitable and also to avoid crew complaints.
tris06 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
It's being a while since I've been here.

With CI website, perhaps its a bug on my computer on the reason I'm not able to access CI's website.

ONT seems confident with the numbers they're getting since they've revamped their web page and have a selector to turn the page in Mandarin, and the video clip they did for ONT is also subtitled in Mandarin.

They've released its metrics for December. First time in six months its released its numbers before CAA,

15,544/18,972 = 81.93%

It's about what I expected with the low outbound loads in the first week of December.

Last edited by 26volt; Jan 24, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by 26volt
ONT seems confident with the numbers they're getting since they've revamped their web page and have a selector to turn the page in Mandarin, and the video clip they did for ONT is also subtitled in Mandarin.
There is no written language called Mandarin. The script is either Chinese (traditional) or Chinese (simplified). Unfortunately, ONT chose the wrong script. People from HK/MO/TW can probably read the simplified script at half the speed they can with traditional script. Given that Mainland Chinese still cannot transit in TW I don't think too many who can't read English are helped by this additional language on ONT's website.

ONT seems to have contracted this translation work to some non-local agency. At least 99% of the text makes sense and is not machine translation, but it has a link to "Greater Ontario Province Convention and Visitors Bureau". (Exactly like some California counties which have a Chinese vote-by-mail application form containing the word 國務卿 [US secretary of state].)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I don't think they have another 359 available unless they throw more 77W to other routes (like AMS). Ho has been holding back on buying new planes, so probably nothing will mature the coming year.

For now probably best to just swap 77W back in here if there is high demand.

SFO is 77W.

It's just a random thought, CI has been getting rid of all the fifth freedom flights since it's not so profitable and also to avoid crew complaints.
why are there crew complaints? Is this specific to the routes or to fifth freedom routes in general? what kind of complaints?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by chichow
why are there crew complaints? Is this specific to the routes or to fifth freedom routes in general? what kind of complaints?
Hotel too far from city (nearby airport), some flights have less turnaround than others if it's not daily, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:55 am

Variance between ONT and CAA is still there .

​​​ONT
15,760/18,972 83.1% (CAA)
vs
15,544/18,972 81.93% (ONT own metrics)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:59 am

It's been a year since this flight has officially inaugurated.

https://www.flyontario.com/corporate...tional-airport

I think the flight will stay, but am wondering how long it will continue to run as an A359.
It seems like a 77W is destined to return if CI can keep up the load factor at 80%+ even during off peak.

Meanwhile, are they putting the second flight back to LAX?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:03 am

2019 Stat update:

ONT
02 12,850/15,300 84.0%
01 17,657/18,972 93.1%

LAX
02 16,700/19,690 84.8% / 45,890/54,807 83.7% BR
01 20,809/22,196 93.8% / 54,648/59,995 91.1% BR

Due to strike, two flights each way were canceled in February for ONT.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:01 pm

2019 Stat update:

ONT
02 12,850/15,300 84.0%
01 17,657/18,972 93.1%

LAX
02 16,700/19,690 84.8% / 45,890/54,807 83.7% BR
01 20,809/22,196 93.8% / 54,648/59,995 91.1% BR

Due to strike, two flights each way were canceled in February for ONT.
It was three flights each way that were canceled actually: 2/8, 2/12, and 2/13. Got the info from CPB's page.

https://awt.cbp.gov/

Interesting thing is that it gives you the loads of each incoming aircraft.

It's been a year since this flight has officially inaugurated.

https://www.flyontario.com/corporate...tional-airport

I think the flight will stay, but am wondering how long it will continue to run as an A359.
It seems like a 77W is destined to return if CI can keep up the load factor at 80%+ even during off peak.
I asked my contact in ONT regarding the 77W and he mentioned that supposedly the switch should have occurred last March. Though, as we see nothing occurred.

However, someone told my contact rumors coming from a 'person' working for CI in Taipei that CI might cut ONT after 'Winter 2019 and or end of the year'. Though, CI staff at ONT hasn't said anything or give the staff and ramp agents advance notice so they could search for employment elsewhere.

My contact doesn't know if these rumors are coming from what was mentioned earlier this year or is something new.

Last edited by 26volt; Apr 10, 2019 at 12:52 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:24 am

It was three flights each way that were canceled actually: 2/8, 2/12, and 2/13. Got the info from CPB's page.

https://awt.cbp.gov/

Interesting thing is that it gives you the loads of each incoming aircraft.
Oh, I left out 2/8.

I asked my contact in ONT regarding the 77W and he mentioned that supposedly the switch should have occurred last March. Though, as we see nothing occurred.

However, someone told my contact rumors coming from a 'person' working for CI in Taipei that CI might cut ONT after 'Winter 2019 and or end of the year'. Though, CI staff at ONT hasn't said anything or give the staff and ramp agents advance notice so they could search for employment elsewhere.

My contact doesn't know if these rumors are coming from what was mentioned earlier this year or is something new.
The government replaced Ho so I don't know if Hsieh is going to do anything with ONT. We will know if they cut ONT by June cause CI will have to submit Winter schedule, no?
There is also the presidential election coming next year, so I won't be surprised if any changes coming after 5/20/2020.

I would expect at least a seasonal 77W change to come in end of May and last all the way to Sept., not March though.

If they cut it then so be it, I took it already
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:35 am

The government replaced Ho so I don't know if Hsieh is going to do anything with ONT. We will know if they cut ONT by June cause CI will have to submit Winter schedule, no?
I agree by then CI should be telling its workers at ONT to start looking for work elsewhere if they decide to cut the route.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Could TPE-NRT-DFW work or would AA have the NRT-DFW part completely on lock?
I guess DFW-TPE would be better route if they flew to DFW. EVA air runs a bus to Dallas for their Houston flight, they might get some of those passengers. Dallas has quite a few Taiwanese in Richardson/Plano areas which starting become like Irvine in So Cal with nice new Taiwanese/Korean/Japanese supermarkets and cafes (my Japanese relatives like the food here) without the SoCal home prices. Maybe CI could add a bus to Houston to connect to any DFW flight if CI ever flew to Texas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.