Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Lane Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:55 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: AA CK Spouse, BAEC Silver , HH Dia, BonVoy Titanium, (former)Caesars7*, (former)Wynn Black, HR Icon
Originally Posted by lotalota
Perhaps it is the midwesterner in me, but the whole idea of jumping ahead in line due to status really rubs me the wrong way. This is the way the airlines have chosen to operate and so be it. But it just strikes me as wrong. I personally won't take advantage of this "perk" because it would make me feel like I was being rude to everyone in line.
You must love Las Vegas ... the land of VIP check-in, VIP Cab Lines, VIP restaurant and club queues... etc.. etc.. etc...

as avidflyer points out, this is a very clear elite perk -- and should NOT be that difficult for GA's to implement if the carpet and sign is in position at the gate.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Yes, that may be the rule and no one is disputing it. But the title of this thread is "Boarding Lake Etiquette". I was discussing etiquette, not the rule.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
It would work fine if the employees at the gate followed the rules. .

Ah, but that is precisely the point!

It is clear that NW management does not wish to expend the time, energy and dollars to make this work. If they did, it would be working.

Either make it work or remove the carpets. Simple as that.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I think NW simply needs to communicate with ground crew the purpose of the elite lane and the fact that elites & F customer may use it at ANY time during the boarding process.

On my flight HNL-SFO I walked into the elite line about half way through boarding and the first thing the GA said was "Sir, there is a line". I pointed out that I was elite & she let me board, but I found it uncomfortable to say the least.

I like the perk if it would be properly executed like Continental has, until then I will probably go back to early boarding.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by yogimax
Ah, but that is precisely the point!

It is clear that NW management does not wish to expend the time, energy and dollars to make this work. If they did, it would be working.

Either make it work or remove the carpets. Simple as that.
I agree. All this would take is a memo to all GA's explaining how the lane is supposed to work and it would be done with (CALLING THE ZIPPER!!!!). It is a very simple and nice perk as long as it is used as it was intended. As for the etiquette around "cutting" you could say the same thing about pre-board or free drinks or any perk. You fly the BIS miles you deserve whatever you can get as a reward. If you are a casual traveler then this stuff really does not matter to you. I know back when I was a twice a year flyer I had no idea what all of the perks were but I also knew I did not deserve them...I just thought it was cool to be on a plane going somewhere (ah, back in the day when it was so simple).
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
It rarely works on NWA. There have been many threads on this issue. If CO and KLM can get it right, then NWA can too! Maybe it is time to send out a short memo. It really is not that difficult. A little traning could make a huge difference here. For elites with WC memberships it is a great perk.

Usually, it is the customers who spends the most with NWA that expects to utilize this perk. The GAs should have no problem recognizing NWA best customers! It is the way the program is designed, now let's implement it.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lotalota
Fine. But if I'm ever in that situation I'm going to the back of the line. The whole red carpet perk bugs me. I think it should be just for early boarding, not "jump in line" boarding. But I neither work for NWA, or wrote the rules.
You go to the back of the line. I will waive as I walk to the front....
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:59 pm

It could work wonderfully with some simple tuning of the rules and some employee training with teeth (disciplinary actions for failure to comply).

- elite 'red carpet' line is for elites only
- anyone validly in the elite line is processed in front of the general boarding line (with the exception of the FC pre-board event)

So, it works like this:

Special condition pre-board (kids, disabilities, etc)
then,

FC pre-board (only an FC boarding pass gets you processed)
then,

Elite and exit row call (anyone in the elite line is processed first, if there are 10 people in the elite line, the line is cleared prior to processing general boarding line, if the elite line is empty, a guy walks up to the elite line, he is processed on the next scan). If elites choose to stand in the general line, they can, but if there is anyone in the elite line, they are tagged first. This behavior will gradually train elites to naturally use the elite line, and never use the general line. If only elites are boarding an aircraft (no other pax), they would all be neatly in the elite line and the general boarding line would be empty.
then,

General boarding call (with smoothly continuous elite processing when someone approaches on the red carpet).

Success of this program REQUIRES instinctual behavior from the GA, and would be smoother with instinctual behavior from the elites. Then great things are borne.

As it works now, I don't use it. I have seen to many cases of embarrassment from an argumentative or dismissive GA, and resentment from other pax (since the GA's themselves fail to embrace or understand the program which intensifies the angst of the general line who sees you 'cut in line' by convincing the GA you should be able to do so).
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wildman
If CO and KLM can get it right, then NWA can too!
Since when has KLM got it right? I don't think I have ever seen proper enforcement of the bifurcated line in Schiphol.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by florin

Bad form? Rude? No. Look, similar business practices are ubiquitous. A person who goes to the same restaurant/bar ALL the time gets served right away because he/she is a regular. Examples are all around you. This is not cutting people in line, it is exercising a privilege granted by NWA as gratitude for throwing so much business their way.

Another way to look at this: take a grocery store with an express lane for 10 items or less. Following your logic (if I can call it that), using that lane would be rude. I disagree. It is a lane that the store has explicitly made available for people meeting certain conditions. It is not rude for people meeting the criteria to use the express lane, just as it is not rude for Elites to use the Elite line.

All this talk about not being rude... yet you're the only one in this thread calling people names.
I didn't say he was a jerk, I said he wasn't given the right to be one.
Your (poor) grocery store analogy has already been discussed.
There are a lot of things that people have the "right" to do that shouldn't be done. You don't have to let another car go ahead of you to merge into traffic. You aren't bound by law to refrain from talking loudly in theaters or libraries. You can even floss in McDonald's or clip your toes in a stadium. Go ahead, describe your bowel movements in intricate detail in mixed company. We live in America, baby, we're FREE!!!
That said, there are certain standards of civility and politeness that people should expect from each other even though there are no laws to enforce it. I happen to think that using a perk that isn't generally known-even, it seems, among the company's employees-to go in front of dozens of people who are patiently waiting in line is neither appropriate nor considerate. And the opposite of considerate is...inconsiderate! And that is another word for rude.
And should an NW employee recognize this fact, knowing that elites get significant perks (such as op-ups), I don't think it's worth a rather long-winded rant from someone who was sitting in First Class without, in all likelihood, paying an F fare.
NW grants the perk, it is true, but there are few instances in which the perk is so obviously inconsiderate of the other 90% of passengers who aren't elite. When the pre-boarding starts, the others don't already have their place in line.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:26 pm

Actually, I'd like to add to my response:

The idea of cutting in line simply because you're elite...welll, it's:
"A perfect example of a "me! me! me!" response. I like this, I don't like that...
The idea of this thread was not just about feet on someone else's armrest, or banging on a chair (or going in front of people in line)... it's about respect for others - something that after all these posts you still haven't gotten (much like you haven't gotten the "sleeping on the plane" idea). ....This is about the 20-30 pax around you and having some respect for them. It's the idea of not doing onto others what you wouldn't want done to you. If we all make small efforts to respect each other flying can be a great experience for everyone. If, on the other hand, you have no consideration for other pax because YOU want to put YOUR feet up, or tap your feet, or keep the window shade open (or pull rank to cut in line) in utter disregard for other pax - that's when you become the passenger that all of us respectful...flyers resent."
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I use this perk a LOT....as I never check baggage and dont want my overhead filled by Y pax in row 27 who puts his backpack in the first available bin.

Now, to throw a twist into this...what happens when the g/a calls F and elites and both sides are filled? I have seen this a few times...and the pax on the elite side at once had acted as if their elite was better then other pax elite!!!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by artemis021
If we all make small efforts to respect each other flying can be a great experience for everyone. If, on the other hand, you have no consideration for other pax because YOU want to put YOUR feet up, or tap your feet, or keep the window shade open (or pull rank to cut in line) in utter disregard for other pax - that's when you become the passenger that all of us respectful...flyers resent."
So as long as folks behave the way you want them to behave, close their shade so you can sleep when they want the view, stand in line like you like, then they are considered polite, respectful, and you don't resent them.

How about respecting the guy who wants to see out his window, and reserved a window seat months in advance for just that reason?

How about respecting the transaction between the guy that spends his time (and $$$) on NWA for perks offered by NWA? He might choose NWA for those perks, while you have the right to not choose NWA if you don't like the perks.

How does that me, me, me attitude work again?

Last edited by macoz; Mar 12, 2007 at 4:45 pm
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:50 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I agree with most of the posters here that are FOR the elite lines as I feel that this is one of the rewards I get for keeping my business with NW/SkyTeam and I really do need the availability of overhead space almost always. . . My experience is:

I'm usually at the gate when boarding begins, since I don't have a WC membership, but the few times when I've 'had to use' the elite boarding lane after general boarding has already begun due to a late connecting flight or whatever, is that when I walked up to the front of the elite line, when I've looked at the gate agent, they've given me this 'look of horor' - something like 'OH NO!! not another one of "those"!! How am I going to do this in front of alllllllllllllll of these other good people!!' And they usually let 2 or 3 non-elites go thru, then me.
I think it has something to do with the fact they're afraid to try something new, since they've been doing it the old way for sooooooo long!! Once again, I guess training has a lot to do with it, but even training can't make them feel comfortable with actually DOING it!! Somehow CO seems to do it! (even tho I don't fly CO unless the price is unbelievable) But could they send a few people over to CO to learn how to get it right?

Also, now that I'm reading how others are actually being REJCTED from the line after general boarding starts, I think I'll print out some copies of the rules and hand them to the GA's - - in a very friendly, polite way - - not obnoxious - - so they can learn the rules if it ever happens to me!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
Artemis021, Are you suggesting that elites or FC should not use the priority security line either? What about the FC / elite check-in? I think that can/is viewed by many non-elites as "cutting in front of the line." How dare these people think that they are so important! Their own check-in line, their own security line, their own boarding line......what gives. I am glad to have the perks available....probably would have missed some flights with out use of the priority security line (I know, I should have arrived at the airport earlier.) When you become accustom to the perks, you plan accordingly.

I know you are focusing on when general boarding has already started, however that is exactly the reason for the "Red Carpet." Otherwise, as someone has already pointed out, there would be no need for it. (and if you are sitting in FC, you might want to enjoy a preflight beverage.)

SAT Lawyer.....I have limited experience in AMS, however the seven times I have been there, the elite line has worked out great for me (usually, stay in the KLM club, until boarding starts.) Sometimes it can be a long walk to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.