Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Lane Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
As I said before, I am just speaking my own opinion. And I know that what I think is not what NWA policy allows. I'll do what I feel is right and I'm not criticizing you for doing what you think is right. I personally don't think the "jump in line" red carpet boarding is a good thing. And if I were making the decision for the industry, I'd do away with the whole thing. But I'm not in that position, nor will I ever be.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by lotalota
I personally don't think the "jump in line" red carpet boarding is a good thing. And if I were making the decision for the industry, I'd do away with the whole thing. But I'm not in that position, nor will I ever be.
And for that some of us are eternally grateful!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:24 pm

Double post.

Last edited by artemis021; Mar 12, 2007 at 12:32 pm
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:29 pm

"I know that as an elite member I've earned the right to jump in front of the line, and while many non-elites may not understand this, I shouldn't have to rely on their generosity to allow me to break in front. That's the GA's job."

You might have earned the right to board first, you might have earned the right to sit in first class, you might have earned the right for extra miles, but you didn't earn the right to be a jerk. But you had an opportunity to board first. When they called for elite boarding.
You should have gone to the back of the line. It's bad form to pull rank AFTER priority boarding has passed.
And yes, you were technically right, but there are a lot of things that are legal and yet still rude.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
NW should just admit that this red carpet thing does not work. Whether it is due to poor training, lack of incentive or whatever is not the point.

Remove the carpets and sell them on ebay to recoup part of the cost.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by artemis021
You should have gone to the back of the line. It's bad form to pull rank AFTER priority boarding has passed.
And yes, you were technically right, but there are a lot of things that are legal and yet still rude.
The perk, beside first boarding, is the chance to board at your leisure. When you make it to the gate the perk is to be able to board without waiting in line. Works for screening, and other places.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by yogimax
NW should just admit that this red carpet thing does not work. Whether it is due to poor training, lack of incentive or whatever is not the point.

Remove the carpets and sell them on ebay to recoup part of the cost.
It would work fine if the employees at the gate followed the rules. On CO they always take me as the *next* person, no waiting, when I show up at the elite lane during general boarding. Why can't NW do that?

For those who don't want to walk on the fancy carpet, understand that you certainly don't have to. But please, step aside as those of us who choose to do so use the perquisites of elite status to their fullest.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yogimax
It works perfectly on CO. NW can make it work just as well if its gate agents are trained properly.

For those who don't like the elite lane, by all means, don't use it. But for some of us, myself included, it is a critical and welcome perk that allows us to get a shot at overhead space when we arrive at the gate after general boarding has started. ^

Did I just repeat what xyzzy said? Great minds think alike, I guess. Either that or I should have read the entire thread before hitting the reply button.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
For those who don't like the elite lane, by all means, don't use it. But for some of us, myself included, it is a critical and welcome perk that allows us to get a shot at overhead space when we arrive at the gate after general boarding has started.
^ ^
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Agree with points above. Just wanted to add my insights that I think these carpets create an awkward situation for when FC boarding is called and everything crowds up to the regular line, then someone decides to cut against everyone and use the Elite Carpet line...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold

Bad form? Rude? No. Look, similar business practices are ubiquitous. A person who goes to the same restaurant/bar ALL the time gets served right away because he/she is a regular. Examples are all around you. This is not cutting people in line, it is exercising a privilege granted by NWA as gratitude for throwing so much business their way.

Another way to look at this: take a grocery store with an express lane for 10 items or less. Following your logic (if I can call it that), using that lane would be rude. I disagree. It is a lane that the store has explicitly made available for people meeting certain conditions. It is not rude for people meeting the criteria to use the express lane, just as it is not rude for Elites to use the Elite line.

but you didn't earn the right to be a jerk
All this talk about not being rude... yet you're the only one in this thread calling people names.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by fromYXU
The perk, beside first boarding, is the chance to board at your leisure. When you make it to the gate the perk is to be able to board without waiting in line. Works for screening, and other places.
Absolutely. This is what the "perk" is for (cutting the line) and it is how it is used at UA and elsewhere. The "lane" is 100% useless UNTIL boarding has begun. Folks here should understand what it is before they condemn the proper use of the perk. Again I say; what good is an "elite line" when they there is ONLY elites boarding!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Originally Posted by florin
:Another way to look at this: take a grocery store with an express lane for 10 items or less. Following your logic...using that lane would be rude. I disagree. It is a lane that the store has explicitly made available for people meeting certain conditions. It is not rude for people meeting the criteria to use the express lane, just as it is not rude for Elites to use the Elite line.
Again, my opinion and no offense is meant.

The grocery store analogy doesn't really work. Unless, of course, people with <10 items would be allowed to jump to the head of the line vs. those who have >10 items.

Perhaps it is the midwesterner in me, but the whole idea of jumping ahead in line due to status really rubs me the wrong way. This is the way the airlines have chosen to operate and so be it. But it just strikes me as wrong. I personally won't take advantage of this "perk" because it would make me feel like I was being rude to everyone in line.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
Originally Posted by slippahs
Agree with points above. Just wanted to add my insights that I think these carpets create an awkward situation for when FC boarding is called and everything crowds up to the regular line, then someone decides to cut against everyone and use the Elite Carpet line...
I witnessed the same confusion and awkwardness at the podium. FC is called and 16 bodies queue up at the regular line... then Elite pre-board is called and we follow FC. There is always a few elites that try to cut the pre-board line using the "Elite" line. Come on, if only FC and Elite has been called, who do you think you're trying to cut in front of? Usually it's started by one or two that line up in the Elite Access line 15-20 mins before the first boarding call.

Somehow CO gets it right everytime, NW needs to polish up their approach a bit before it becomes anywhere near institutionalized. That, and certain other FF'ers need to get some common sense and common courtesy re-training.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
The actual "perk" as stated on the NWA website:

Elite Boarding Lanes
WorldPerks Elite members may board with First Class/World Business Class passengers at any time during general boarding by using our dedicated Elite boarding lanes designated at the gate. Late arriving WorldPerks Elite members may bypass the general boarding line by using Elite boarding lanes at any time after the pre-boarding of passengers with special needs. Elite boarding lanes are available at all cities with flights operated by Northwest Airlines unless otherwise prohibited by the local airport authority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.