Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Lane Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive
Boarding Lane Etiquette

<Long post...sorry>

I normally wouldn't post such a concern on here, but I feel as though I need clarification on exactly what is expected from GAs when an elite member (I'm GE) is standing in the Elite Boarding Lane.

On Sunday I was about ready to board an afternoon flight from MSP-LAX. Since I wasn't concerned about being early to my flight, I decided to go to the Worldclub to juice up my laptop battery and grab a yummy piece of cheese. When 30 minutes to board came around I grabbed my things and headed to the gate, where I noticed the line was rounding the corner. I looked on my ticket to make sure I was at the right gate and noticed that boarding had actually begun 15 minutes earlier (doh!).

"No problem," I thought, "I'll just walk up to the Elite Boarding Lane and bypass all these non-elites."

Now I don't know if it was because I was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt or what, but the GA wasn't about to let me through. I must have stood there for about 2 minutes, while she was letting others through and occassionally looking up at me, before I politely asked if she was boarding elites.

"We've already boarded elites, you'll have to get in the back of the line" she says.

"I'm sorry, is this the Elite Boarding Lane?" I politely asked.

"Yes, it is, but we've already boarded elites, please get in the back of the line."

"But..."

Then a very nice elderly lady allowed me to cut in front of her. I thanked her for her kindness, gave the GA my GE boarding pass (in FC no less), and proceeded on to the plane.

I really felt like a horse's rear-end to be cutting in line like that. I know it probably annoyed the thousands of people standing behind me, but this is the first time that a GA has cut me off like that. It concerns me for this very reason, because the many other times I've been in this situation the GAs very kindly let me through and now here I am questioning whether or not I, as an elite member, am only supposed to board when they call me at the beginning of boarding.

According to NWA's website and their mention of elite perks,
"WorldPerks Elite members may board with First Class/World Business Class passengers at any time during general boarding by using our dedicated Elite boarding lanes designated at the gate. Late arriving WorldPerks Elite members may bypass the general boarding line by using Elite boarding lanes at any time after the pre-boarding of passengers with special needs. Elite boarding lanes are available at all cities with flights operated by Northwest Airlines unless otherwise prohibited by the local airport authority."
I know that as an elite member I've earned the right to jump in front of the line, and while many non-elites may not understand this, I shouldn't have to rely on their generosity to allow me to break in front. That's the GA's job.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
IMHO, you should have gone to the back of the line. It was your fault for being late. I know that's not what the rule says, but it is what I would have done.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hertz 5*
When I have used the elite lane the GA has always gotten to me within 2-3 people of me arriving. I generally wait for the first few that have already passed the front of the elite lane sign so as to not be completely rude, but like you said, it is a privilege we have earned. The best course of action here is to send a note to TTU with your flight number, date, gate, etc. so the GA can be "retrained". What good is policy if the employees aren't enforcing it?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lotalota
IMHO, you should have gone to the back of the line. It was your fault for being late. I know that's not what the rule says, but it is what I would have done.
Then why did Northwest spend a bunch of money installing these red carpets and advertising this benefit to elites? Arriving late is the specific purpose of the elite lanes, the OP by no means should have went to the back of the line.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
The purpose of those elite lanes is EXACTLY for the reason the OP wanted to use it.

That being said, I have yet to see the red carpet lanes being used correctly.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Originally Posted by MKEbound
The purpose of those elite lanes is EXACTLY for the reason the OP wanted to use it.
Fine. But if I'm ever in that situation I'm going to the back of the line. The whole red carpet perk bugs me. I think it should be just for early boarding, not "jump in line" boarding. But I neither work for NWA, or wrote the rules.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive
Lotalota, you're right. I think for me it was just odd that I was in this situation and had to rely on the kindness of a stranger to let me in the line, not the GA.

Sometimes, especially on cross-country flights, I would rather wait in the back of the line then be allowed to park my butt in a seat for 5, 10, or 20 more minutes before we even leave the gate.

Other times I have work that I need to do, want to ensure I find a space for my carry-on that's not 20 rows behind me, or just want to sit and relax; and I find that getting on board as an elite member (at any time) is a right that I've earned.

Again, I guess it's just what kind of a mood I'm in that day.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:22 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Fine. But if I'm ever in that situation I'm going to the back of the line. The whole red carpet perk bugs me. I think it should be just for early boarding, not "jump in line" boarding. But I neither work for NWA, or wrote the rules.
If the elites are only allowed to board before everyone else, there would be NO NEED for the red carpet. Just board the elites early then board everyone else.

The ONLY reason for the red carpet is because once the first elite boarding call is made, everyone else can board all at once. So to avoid having the elites wait in the line, if they want to board anytime during the boarding process, they can - by using the red carpet lane. This is cleary its intent. I have used the lane with the carpet a couple of times and was recognized almost immediately by the GA.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I have successfully used the Elite carpet several times. Cool feature!^ That is what it's meant for - so Elites and F pax can bypass the line. One would think that putting a red carpet there would be make it clear enough for GA's.

While some GA's are very nice (nobody here expects perfection), it seems to me that way too many NWA GA's are being rude and disrespectful towards Elites. It's one thing to be clueless and/or occasionally fail to do your job by the book, but being outright rude is just unacceptable, especially to the most loyal customers. The frequency of such complaints on this forum has increased lately, which tells me that it is no longer an occasional issue; it is becoming a problem. I know it's tricky and that NWA can't just snap their fingers to fix this, but I really do think they should address this.

Keep the TTU's coming.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by CmdrThor
When I have used the elite lane the GA has always gotten to me within 2-3 people of me arriving. I generally wait for the first few that have already passed the front of the elite lane sign so as to not be completely rude, but like you said, it is a privilege we have earned. The best course of action here is to send a note to TTU with your flight number, date, gate, etc. so the GA can be "retrained". What good is policy if the employees aren't enforcing it?
Smart move -- the people in the other line are likely to be farther back than you are on the plane -- so they'll just have to pass you in the aisle.

Bob H
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite
It seems to me that allowing us to believe we're better than others is part of the purpose of calling it the NWA "elite program." As a lowly silver elitist, I don't want to wait for the others. When the platinums give me their upgrades, I'll give the non-elites priority in the boarding line!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
OP is correct.
However, like others, I would not have and never have used the red carpet.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Absolutely incorrect. That goes directly against the purpose of the Elite boarding lane. I use this to my advantage with every flight now - I stay late in the WC charging electronics off and polishing off a drink, mosey to the gate, get to the front of the Elite line, cut in front of next pax (if GA doesn't acknowledge me) and board plane.

This is EXACTLY what these lanes are for. The GA should be chastised.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You don't NEED the red carpet for early boarding.

I've used it a few times and don't pay attention to anyone who's bothered by my using it. When they fly NW as much as I do, I'll care what they think.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:17 am

The line/carpet for Elites and Fs is an industry standard. On some airlines there is a dedicated GA for said line who will only handle Elite and F PAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.