Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Lane Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by lotalota
Let me address the question about why the cutting perk is different than pre-boarding, EUA, FC, pre-boarding drinks, etc.

(1) Pre-boarding. The GA makes a general announcement indicating that elites may pre-board. This is clearly stated and the average person can understand it.
(2) All FC and EUA related perks are also easy to understand. As far as people in the gate know, you may have purchased those services. You were given a ticket with that info on it. It is generally understood that FC costs more, and that you get more when you pay more. Again, easy to understand.

Being able to jump to the head of the queue due to status is not explained by the GA and, as the OP showed us, not necessarily even understood. It is reasonable to conclude that many in the line do not understand why you get to go first. It is easy to conclude that they may be offended by something that is culturally offensive in many other settings. Again, their ignorance is not your fault and you may not care.
The GA does not need to announce it because there is a big sign you have to pass under that says "Elite boarding line" I am not sure what more you can do to let people know that Elites board through the elite line. Additionally, there is another sign thats says "non-elite boarding" (or something like that) that further forces one to determine if indeed they are elite enough to get in the elite line. I am still stumped by this entire string, really.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by avidflyer
The GA does not need to announce it because there is a big sign you have to pass under that says "Elite boarding line" I am not sure what more you can do to let people know that Elites board through the elite line. Additionally, there is another sign thats says "non-elite boarding" (or something like that) that further forces one to determine if indeed they are elite enough to get in the elite line.
I personally think that the lettering on the signs aren't big / bold enough. I'm not presently looking at a copy of a NW or a CO sign, but it seems to me again that CO got it right and the signs have bigger or bolder lettering on them making the process stand out that much more! I think the NW signs could be a little bolder.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
(1) Pre-boarding. The GA makes a general announcement indicating that elites may pre-board. This is clearly stated and the average person can understand it.

Someone should suggest that NWA add this to the general announcement......" and as always NW world perk elites and world perks partner elites may board anytime via the elite boarding lane. We thank you for your continued support."

I am sure the verbage could be different, that might help the situation and at the same time ensure the correct procedure for all involved.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 13, 2007 at 6:38 am Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Wildman
Someone should suggest that NWA add this to the general announcement......" and as always NW world perk elites and world perks partner elites may board anytime via the elite boarding lane. We thank you for your continued support."

I am sure the verbage could be different, that might help the situation and at the same time ensure the correct procedure for all involved.
I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think a quick one sentence announcement like that would help a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
I personally think that the lettering on the signs aren't big / bold enough. I'm not presently looking at a copy of a NW or a CO sign, but it seems to me again that CO got it right and the signs have bigger or bolder lettering on them making the process stand out that much more! I think the NW signs could be a little bolder.
Fair enough but the point is that it is not a "secret" perk and the GA really does not have to announce it because, like the security line, you are supposed to go there if you are an elite. I get the fact (and agree) that NW has not managed this well but just about every major carrier does this and I do not get the "rude" aspect. And yes, in the UK they have elite lines and in HK and in NRT they are everywhere. As a matter of fact the "elite biz class" security line (fast track?) at Heathrow is one of the BEST perks of being elite. Bigger signs, fantastic, but nobody should feel shamed for using this nice elite perk.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great idea. I have heard a similar announcement before (I think it was MSP) but only once. That would really drive the process home to the GA's.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:02 pm

Someone should suggest that NWA add this to the general announcement......" and as always NW world perk elites and world perks partner elites may board anytime via the elite boarding lane.
Yeah, it seems to me that I've heard something similar before - but I can't pinpoint when / where, but it would certainly alert the non-elite pax so that they understand what's going on! Then it wouldn't make you feel like you're cutting in front of anybody if it's announced and everybody hears it!! INCLUDING all GA's!!! - So they don't feel like they have to sneak you by!!

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 13, 2007 at 6:39 am Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Great idea. I have heard a similar announcement before (I think it was MSP) but only once. That would really drive the process home to the GA's.
I have heard it twice. I remember thinking 'cool!' NW's catching on!

Then, that same day, saw someone having to plead their case to a GA on another flight.

Training with teeth is what's needed.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
You were given a ticket with that info on it.
You're right -- and the itins, ticket receipts and boarding passes all say either "Platinum Elite" or "Platinum/Elite Plus" on, so when I board I am carrying prima facie evidence that I belong in that line.

Your reference to the UK as some kind of superior example of an egalitarian society is absurb. BA is as snobby as they come. And get rid of all those kings and queens and princes and dukes and lords ....

Last edited by MikeMpls; Mar 13, 2007 at 1:32 am
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:43 pm

Programs: NW PE, UA 1P, AA PLA, AMEX Plat MR, Hertz 5 Star
Perhaps it is the midwesterner in me, but the whole idea of jumping ahead in line due to status really rubs me the wrong way. This is the way the airlines have chosen to operate and so be it. But it just strikes me as wrong. I personally won't take advantage of this "perk" because it would make me feel like I was being rude to everyone in line.
I'm sure you also don't "take advantage" of any elite upgrades, either, as that is "cutting in line" before other passengers who could get that seat. Obviously, as a Gold Elite, you immediately go to the gate agent, surrender your FC upgrade and ask to be put at the "back of the upgrade line." Likewise, on those rare occassions where you do get an upgrade because no one else is left behind you, I'm sure you don't use the FC restroom, but go to the back of the plane so as to not make the Y cabin feel badly. Naturally, if you are asleep when your free drink in FC is offered, I'm sure you don't request one later, as you missed your chance and wouldn't want to be a bother. EXACT SAME THING.

Good grief. NWA installed the carpet. NWA should either use the carpet or get rid of it. End of story.

Asking people to feel guilty for using any perk offered, whether it's upgrades, faster security check, free drinks, OR BOARDING AT LEISURE is insulting & silly, and reeks of false humility.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by yogimax
NW should just admit that this red carpet thing does not work. Whether it is due to poor training, lack of incentive or whatever is not the point.

Remove the carpets and sell them on ebay to recoup part of the cost.
This is something which should be soooo easy. Continental has implemented it very well and their operational compliance with the proper procedure has been 100% for all flights I have observed. In short, "they get it."

Northwest, however, is late to the implement this elite-friendly process and has tried to do so with a mutilated, humiliated, demotivated, half-outsourced group of disgruntled employees with insufficient management oversight. If they can't get something basic like this to work (with high visibility and importance for their very best customers), can you imagine how the current aircraft maintenance procedures are being implemented behind closed doors? I shudder at the thought.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:46 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Consistency and Corporate Culture drive this policy

Over at CO all first, elites, and Full Y customers are branded as Elite Access customers and the Signs all say this first then in smaller print give the exact names of the types of people that qualify for this privilage....

Like many have said Co annouces at every gate that the Elite Access line is for those with it printed on their boarding pass (IE frst, elites, and others wth it printed) NWA says it is an elite line. I think this is why customers at NWA that deserve "Elite line privilages" line up in the general line as they have not been properly directed to the line they should be in.

As to the etiguette discussion.... the main point of that discussion is the concept of American Culture that is not the proper thing to do.... What these arguments do not address is the fact that each airline has its own culture...IE Southwest and Continental do not treat their passengers the same way and create policies to that effect. That beening said, Northwest has stated through policy that the "NWA culture" is to give perks and privilages (including board at your liesure) to those who either fly the most or pay the most. I would say that those that dont feel like this and other elite perks should be offered should find an airline that has a "culture" that fits them. Some people tell me they will fly no one else but SWA, I dont understand that, but I know it has to do in some part with the culture that SWA ceates. Some people like it and others do not.

I fly CO for two reasons... my parents live in Houston near IAH and the perks that I get for being elite with them. At the same time I dont shop around and I am a liesure traveler as I know and expect to receive a consistent product from CO (ie what they tell me I should receive for the money I have paid). Consistancy is what is key here. The hospitality business is built on the concept of consistency and NWA needs to look at how its policy is being implemented and make adjustments accordingly if it is not consistant in execution.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
I worked very hard for elite status. Get out of my way. End of story.

If I wanted to play the egalitarian I would fly frontier, southwest, etc.

I spend more time on planes than at home. In fact, 1A is my home away from home.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:29 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Again, my opinion and no offense is meant.

The grocery store analogy doesn't really work. Unless, of course, people with <10 items would be allowed to jump to the head of the line vs. those who have >10 items.
No offense taken. This is just friendly discussion. I hope that you take no offense in what I say either, as I assure you that no offense is intended on my part!

The grocery store analogy is a PERFECT example.
1. You have your regular lane with usually longer lines and people with lots of items. (If you get in this line it usually takes longer than the express lane.) This is analogous to the general boarding line being available under the 'normal' circumstances.

2. Then you have an express lane for people who meet certain criteria, in this case it's for people who have at most 10 items. Similarly, you have the elite line who is for people with SkyTeam Elite status.

Furthermore,
3. If you have 5 items you may go to the express lane thus bypassing all the people in the regular lane. In our case, if you are elite you may go to the Elite line thus bypassing all the people in the general boarding line.

So you see, it's EXACTLY the same thing. The only difference between the two is the fact that the general boarding line is many times longer than the Elite line, whereas the express lane is usually just a bit shorter than the other lane. Nobody is cutting anybody off. (Getting anywhere but in the back of either line would be cutting people off.)

Perhaps it is the midwesterner in me, but the whole idea of jumping ahead in line due to status really rubs me the wrong way. This is the way the airlines have chosen to operate and so be it. But it just strikes me as wrong. I personally won't take advantage of this "perk" because it would make me feel like I was being rude to everyone in line.
I find this attitude that you attribute to being midwestern hypocritical. EUA's are another "perk". Isn't it non-midwestern of you to accept the upgrade, while everybody else flies in coach? Wouldn't it be rude to "jump ahead" to F "due to status"? So you see, you take advantage of some perks that put you ahead of other pax, but the Elite line - another perk that gives you priority over other pax - is just wrong?!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:32 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by imaliveru
I'm sure you also don't "take advantage" of any elite upgrades, either, as that is "cutting in line" before other passengers who could get that seat. EXACT SAME THING.
I saw your post after I had posted my previous reply. We're exactly on the same page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.