Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Lane Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by NW scoop
This has been clarified to CSAs and we will continue to do this. The Elite lanes can be used 1) for pre-boarding of Elite members and 2) should remain open for Elite members during general boarding. In part 2 - the intent is to provide priority to Elite members who show up at the gate after general boarding has started. What should happen is that the CSA should take the boarding pass from any Elite member in the Elite lane first, then continue boarding passengers in the general boarding lane. We continue ongoing evaluation and training of this and are getting better on it.

NW scoop
How about a suggestion:

Implement those retractable nylon barriers like are out in the ticketing counter areas so that the regular line is blocked during the elite pre-board. Once general boarding commences, the gate agent can retract the nylon "rope" to allow general/non-elite customers to board while continuing to accept passengers in the elite boarding lane?

It seems like a little positive reinforcement at the gate for both the CSAs and the passengers would help drive the point home.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by fti
If the elites are only allowed to board before everyone else, there would be NO NEED for the red carpet. Just board the elites early then board everyone else.

The ONLY reason for the red carpet is because once the first elite boarding call is made, everyone else can board all at once. So to avoid having the elites wait in the line, if they want to board anytime during the boarding process, they can - by using the red carpet lane. This is cleary its intent. I have used the lane with the carpet a couple of times and was recognized almost immediately by the GA.
If carry on space is a concern, I usually board when the call is put out for elites. Most of the time I'll wait and go up later in the process. I will politely ask, assuming there is a long line, if they are still boarding elites in the red carpet lane. The answer has almost always been "yes sir." IMO, we shouldn't be penalized for being frequent fliers. They made the line for their regular customers and F class passengers. Why feel guilty if you'd rather hang back and finish your beer instead of waiting an extra half hour sweating in your seat at the gate? The flight won't leave any sooner if you board now or in 30 minutes.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
How about a suggestion:

Implement those retractable nylon barriers like are out in the ticketing counter areas so that the regular line is blocked during the elite pre-board. Once general boarding commences, the gate agent can retract the nylon "rope" to allow general/non-elite customers to board while continuing to accept passengers in the elite boarding lane?

It seems like a little positive reinforcement at the gate for both the CSAs and the passengers would help drive the point home.
That's a very good idea. I hope NW implements it.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
- Clarify if the elite lane is for pre-boarding, only open as shortcut during regular boarding, or both?
This has been clarified to CSAs and we will continue to do this. The Elite lanes can be used 1) for pre-boarding of Elite members and 2) should remain open for Elite members during general boarding. In part 2 - the intent is to provide priority to Elite members who show up at the gate after general boarding has started. What should happen is that the CSA should take the boarding pass from any Elite member in the Elite lane first, then continue boarding passengers in the general boarding lane. We continue ongoing evaluation and training of this and are getting better on it.

NW scoop
NW scoop,

OK, but I need a bit more clarification on this. You mention that the lanes can be used for pre-boarding of Elites. Is it NWA policy for the Elite lane to be definitively used for (FC-Elite) pre-boarding? If so, I stand corrected based on the information I was previously provided when this whole program was initially rolled out. If not, I and likely many others will continue to remain confused.

How about a suggestion:

I like this idea - the presence of a barrier across one lane or the other removes all confusion as to which lane will be used for preboarding FC and Elites. I'd add that NW should also reinstate the pause between FC and general boarding while the GA retracts the barrier from the General Boarding lane. That way FC (and Y elites) can get settled, FA's can collect coats and take drink orders, etc. For as long as I can recall the GAs are starting the Y boarding immediately behind FC and elites which certainly rushes the elite pax and FAs on board, and IMO only encourages Y pax crowding the boarding area.

I guess the ultimate question remains as to whether the Elite lane is used from the get-go or not. Perhaps moving the scanners to a new location between the lanes will answer that question ala Continental and make the whole purpose of this thread moot. Certainly something to look forward to as travel is stressful enough without policy roulette games at the gate on each segment.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
There has only been two situations where I've had to use the red-carpet lane after FC/elite boarding because I arrived late at the gate. With NW's "board the hoardes" policy, the general boarding lane was long. So both times I sheepishly walked up to the red-carpet lane. And both times I received very odd looks from the gate agents with a "what the hell do you think you're doing?" look. After they boarded three or more general pax, they then took my boarding pass and allowed me to board.

BTW..both of these instances were at MSP and it was a different agent both times.

I do feel guilty jumping the line - but it is a benefit I have earned by flying so much with NW and its partners.

-RM
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, AS 100K, SPG LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
This was/is part of our implementation instructions. All stations have this (diagram) information.

NW scoop
Would it be possible for us (PAX) to get a copy? I'd carry one and distribute to "offenders". Also, part of the problem is educating the passengers, so a diagram would help them too.

Thanks for the detailed response to my post... sure we're complaining, but grateful that NW has implemented elite boarding lanes.

How about a suggestion:

SchmutzigMSP: Love the idea!

My fear is that a GA who is either unmotivated or busy to do proper elite lane boarding will not bother to set the rope/stanchion closing off the general lane.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:02 pm
Company Representative - Northwest Airlines

Programs: NW WorldPerks
Originally Posted by dmitzel
You mention that the lanes can be used for pre-boarding of Elites. Is it NWA policy for the Elite lane to be definitively used for (FC-Elite) pre-boarding? If so, I stand corrected based on the information I was previously provided when this whole program was initially rolled out. If not, I and likely many others will continue to remain confused.
During pre-boarding = either/both the general and Elite lanes can be used by Elite members. Both should be just as fast - you should use whichever seems most convenient to you at the time.

After general boarding has started = Elite lanes -> Elite member priority; general boarding lane -> non-Elite passengers and lower priority.

NW scoop
Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
During pre-boarding = either/both the general and Elite lanes can be used by Elite members. Both should be just as fast - you should use whichever seems most convenient to you at the time.

NW scoop
Thanks. So, based upon this the GA, at a minimum, should have alternated between scanning BP's from both lanes if FC pax were in each of them. Instead she chose to ignore those of us in the (general) lane closest to the BP scanner, forcing us to back up and get in the back of the (elite lane) line that queued up after the line cutters. I will chalk this up as an anomaly and hope for things to get better once CSA (re)training has had an effect.

Originally Posted by nroscoe
We as FT'ers also have a duty to speak-up and self-police others.
You're right - next time I will speak up and challenge the pre-board line cutters. I call my kids on bad behavior, why should adults get a pass?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dmitzel
At this point I'm in utter shock over the rude, dismissive and inexcusable behavior I'm witnessing. Keep in mind the whole episode was in view of the GA so I don't cut her any slack on that. I don't know who to be angrier with - the FC pax that figuratively ran over Socrates and I or the GA that aided and abetted the "me, me, me first" behavior. We ended up having to back up around the Elite lane rope and join the end of the FC boarding line to get on the plane. You could almost feel the chill in the FC cabin after boarding; nice way to start the week by witnessing behavior from adults which I wouldn't tolerate from my first grader.

(BTW, Socrates, it was a pleasure to meet you. Fair weather on your future travel, especially during boarding. I'll leave it to you to offer your (likely more eloquent) view on yesterday evening's events.)
Pleasure meeting you too...but you did notice I got even..one of the two people who ran me over was seated in the window seat next to me ...the other decided to try and run me over again during deplaning...too bad I was seated in the row head of them .....
Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nroscoe
While sorry to hear dmitzel & socrates story, I ask why they were lined up in the regular line and not the elite carpet?
1) no preboarding using the "elite access" line as CO does
2) I've never seen anyone (except FLL) use them..infact IND ropes the red carpet off...why other getting in a line that isn't used? (I agree the line should be used...but there should be a boarding announcement, not the rude (note dmitzel had the story slightly wrong) "which line is it going to be? Management wont let me take people from two lines, I can only take people from one line...ok fine if you're not going to get into 1 line then I guess I'll take the folks from the elite line"....
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about a suggestion:

Indy has them and uses them.....unfortunately to block the elite line....in the gates with small boarding areas they of course dont block the elite lines...they just push them up against the wall I've pointed this out via TTU several times...I eventually gave up...I love this program when it works...unfortunately I've personally only seen it work at FLL or on CO
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL GE
I still thing NW needs a way to change the plasma displays to read what is currently being boarded.

GA: "We will now pre-board first class and sky team elite passengers"

15 seconds later

Pax: "Oh, they are boarding now, is this for everyone?" - I am going to start telling them yes and see what happens.

If they had a way to change the display to actually display what they are boarding I think it could clarify things. It could even say during general boarding "Elite please use elite lane". The GA couldn't argue with that then right?

Plus the GAs as far as I can tell never check whether the person should be boarding at that time. Can't the little scanners flash red when people board out of turn?

None of this sounds to far fetched to me, maybe it is, who knows.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
One reason the flashing red light of "oops, non elite" wouldn't work is because at most gates, even international gates, if I have a non elite with me, then the GAs invariably say it's OK for him to board with me and help me with my bag. Even if he's on a different PNR or I have been upgraded to first but unable to get him an upgrade. They can still scan him and allow him to board. I think this probably comes up a lot with one spouse or friend who travels a great deal, thus has status, while the other spouse or friend travels much less frequently. Yet as a courtesy GAs let us board together. Maybe if the red light flashed and they could over ride it easily, it would be OK. I do think some GAs check. I've seen solo pax turned back because they are non elites, yet the same GA has allowed my friend to go ahead and board the plane with me even though he has lost his status.

Originally Posted by pragakhan
I still thing NW needs a way to change the plasma displays to read what is currently being boarded.

GA: "We will now pre-board first class and sky team elite passengers"

15 seconds later

Pax: "Oh, they are boarding now, is this for everyone?" - I am going to start telling them yes and see what happens.

If they had a way to change the display to actually display what they are boarding I think it could clarify things. It could even say during general boarding "Elite please use elite lane". The GA couldn't argue with that then right?

Plus the GAs as far as I can tell never check whether the person should be boarding at that time. Can't the little scanners flash red when people board out of turn?

None of this sounds to far fetched to me, maybe it is, who knows.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
NW Scoop,

Is there a reason why there are no red carpet elite boarding lanes in LGA? There isn't a single elite boarding lane in LGA, and I sent an email to TTU asking about this. The response didn't address the question at all. While I know several of the flights are very elite heavy, I still wonder why no red carpet boarding lanes.

Thanks,

Secretsea18
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:14 am
Company Representative - Northwest Airlines

Programs: NW WorldPerks
Originally Posted by secretsea18
Is there a reason why there are no red carpet elite boarding lanes in LGA? There isn't a single elite boarding lane in LGA ...I still wonder why no red carpet boarding lanes.
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/...eBoardingLanes
Elite Boarding Lanes
WorldPerks Elite members may board with First Class/World Business Class passengers at any time during general boarding by using our dedicated Elite boarding lanes designated at the gate. Late arriving WorldPerks Elite members may bypass the general boarding line by using Elite boarding lanes at any time after the pre-boarding of passengers with special needs. Elite boarding lanes are available at all cities with flights operated by Northwest Airlines unless otherwise prohibited by the local airport authority.

LGA airport authority does not allow them for any carrier (to our knowledge). @:-) And for any of you that feel the need to do so - you could always print out this statement to remind a CSA about what the rules say reguarding Elite lanes. They have access to this in their systems AND they have been trained on it so seeing this printed shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

NW scoop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.