Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Consoliated "Questions About 2007 WorldPerks Perkology Promotion" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consoliated "Questions About 2007 WorldPerks Perkology Promotion" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: Whole Lot of Nothin' anymore - Thanks to baby!
Originally Posted by BigLar
I already have a WorldPerks Visa (which I got for the bonus). Is this telling me (as it seems to) that I'll top out at 25,000 miles, just because I have a particular credit card?

If so, that sucks.
My understanding of the terms and conditions is the max points that you can earn is 50,000 points....

However, the max amount of points that you can earn from partner activity is 25,000 points (hotels - 25 qualifying events at 1,000 pts each = 25,000).

The other 25,000 points that would bring you to the 50K max is for applying and being approved for a new Worldperks credit card, and using that card.

So BigLar, the max bonus you can receive from NWA is 25,000 pts, but the amount of bonus points you can receive from Choice is unlimited.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bassmanben
So BigLar, the max bonus you can receive from NWA is 25,000 pts, but the amount of bonus points you can receive from Choice is unlimited.
Well, if that's what it is, then that's what it is (I got about 40K last year, but oh well).

Anyhow -- I started out with about 176K, so if I max this one out I should have just about 200K. This is enough for two WBC tix US->Europe r/t, right?

Because of the difficulty in getting standard award tix, I figure any miles I get above 200K will be pretty much wasted, unless I go for 400K, so I'll watch the account closely and just shut it down when I get to 200K.

Or does anyone disagree with me?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by bassmanben
My understanding of the terms and conditions is the max points that you can earn is 50,000 points....

However, the max amount of points that you can earn from partner activity is 25,000 points (hotels - 25 qualifying events at 1,000 pts each = 25,000).

The other 25,000 points that would bring you to the 50K max is for applying and being approved for a new Worldperks credit card, and using that card.

This promo gives you bons miles, not bonus points.

That is actually important, because NW does have other promo that do earn you points, and the points have a completely different value than miles!

Furthermore, in the context of a hotel, "points" means the hotel points (if you earn them instead of -- or in the case of Hilton HHonors, in addition to --miles), and miles means what's transferred to the airline.

Meanwhile, the amount of bonus miles you can receive from Choice is not really "unlimited", because you can only have one bonus a night at best, and there are only so many nights during the current promo. (The next promo is likely not to work directly with miles at all; Choice alltenates between "triple points or triple miles" promos like right now, and "stay 2 nights earn 8000 total points" promos.) However, it is not explicitly "capped" like it is at NW.

Btw, some other hotel chain's bonuses are capped. Priority Club (Holiday Inn, Express, Crowne Plaza, Candlewood, etc), for example, typically has caps of their own which typically work out to about 20 to 30 nights for many promos.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by BigLar
Well, if that's what it is, then that's what it is (I got about 40K last year, but oh well).

Anyhow -- I started out with about 176K, so if I max this one out I should have just about 200K. This is enough for two WBC tix US->Europe r/t, right?

Because of the difficulty in getting standard award tix, I figure any miles I get above 200K will be pretty much wasted, unless I go for 400K, so I'll watch the account closely and just shut it down when I get to 200K.

Or does anyone disagree with me?
"Standard" is the kind that's easy to get (but costs double). "Saver" (at NW, specifically "Perk Saver") is the kind that's 100K at NW for 2 WBC US<->Europe.

If you're sure you only want to use it for Europe, then perhaps cutting off at 200 makes sense. (Tho NW miles never expire, so doesn't it make sense to always earn them when they're the only ones who have this good a promo, whether you're "working toward" an award or not? Unless you're working toward a specific award somewhere else too, I guess...)

But Middle East, Asia, and Africa would need 240K, and South Pacific 300K. And one airline may be easier for award travel to certain continents and another to others.

Also, sometimes you can get really good deals on NW upgrades (compared to outright awards), and sometimes those may be easier to get than an actual award. (Tho I dunno if that's the case for Europe.) But the upgrade award miles "cost" doesn't divide evently into the outright award miles "cost", so if you're not sure which you'll be more able to use it might not make sense to pick a number to cut off at.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 1:58 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
Unhappy Perkology Purk-ol-uh-jeewizz

http://www.nwa.com/jp/en/offers/perkology/index.shtml

i vote this the crappiest promo of all time .
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
There is another thread on this Promo already.....
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:14 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666075
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
nope. this is a new Japan-market promo

Originally Posted by gpan
There is another thread on this Promo already.....
No, that's not the same. The one i referred to is for Japanese market, and it's New. The USA version may or may not be crappy. I'm not able or willing to express an opinion on it.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:00 am

Ah yes you are right. I did not believe it was possible but the Japanese version is actually worse than the borderline useless American one.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I just threw away 2000 miles by not signing up before an unanticipated trip with two hotel stays.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Purk-ol-uh-jeewizz

Is that Japanese?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:23 am

Anyone get 5K perkoloygy bonus for 5k spend?

Did anyone get 5K perkology bonus for spending 5k on existing worldperks visa card?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: NW (Plat), PriorityClub (Plat)
I received my 5K on March 12th.
oops, sorry. It was actually 5K from WP Mall - Visa promotion. My mistake.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Thought of getting creative with the 5k bonus for $5k spend. Thought of sending fiance $5k via PayPal, but fees to receive are currently $0.30 + 2.9%. I have both a WP Visa Signature and a Business card. So, if I did both, total fees for sending $10k would be $290.60 for a total of 20,000 miles. Considering the cost of a ticket, this may save a couple hundred dollars.

But... I could see problems doing this. Not the most ethical way, since potentially you could repeat this as often as you wanted for regular purchases. However with the fees charged by PayPal (or other payment sources), the rate of return probably isn't that great.

Last edited by JeffISU; Apr 16, 2007 at 8:30 pm Reason: Answered my own question :)
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I think you get the promo on one card only but I would call and ask. I just know you cannot switch mid 5k. But if you are doing it on two dif cards, it makes sense, but I would ask.

As for the paypal thing, that's a good idea! I bet it would work and since you are paying its fee, I dont see anything wrong with it.

I personally actually already spent 5k on the visa because of many things I needed to do (can pay the yearly ski condo fees on a visa to the hotel it is managed by, and stuff like that)

I am now just waiting for a bonus to post but would like to hear if the paypal thing works. Ask them if one can spend ANOTHER 5k and get another bonus. Then I will go do the paypal thing myself and see if I get two bonuses.

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.