Coronavirus in Sweden

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: Various
Personally I doubt "no symptoms". If I was a donor, had no symptoms now but suspected I had the virus before I would be eager to be tested for the obvious reason I wouldn't be tested for any other reason.

I hope I'm just too pessimistic but I do see the much lower numbers from abroad such as Los Angeles and wonder why Stockholm would be so much higher? If anything I would think we're somewhat behind the metropolises for the same reason Malmö or Umeå are behind Stockholm.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I thought Japan was a mess when people said the Japanese government was taking serious measures. 283 deaths in total, that's like 2-3 days in Sweden.

I know Lamotte is not accepted as proper by Swedish standard - he made a call to 113 13 and the answer was scary:

There were several people (not someone I heard of) made similar calls to record them. The replies are pretty similar.

He was told that even if his wife has Covid-19 and coughing into his child he should still send the kid to school as long as he has no symptom. I know in Denmark as long as anyone is ill in a family, no one should go to work/school (I think it makes sense).
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
I thought Japan was a mess when people said the Japanese government was taking serious measures. 283 deaths in total, that's like 2-3 days in Sweden.

I know Lamotte is not accepted as proper by Swedish standard - he made a call to 113 13 and the answer was scary:

https://www.facebook.com/joakim.lamo...5507604933527/

There were several people (not someone I heard of) made similar calls to record them. The replies are pretty similar.

He was told that even if his wife has Covid-19 and coughing into his child he should still send the kid to school as long as he has no symptom. I know in Denmark as long as anyone is ill in a family, no one should go to work/school (I think it makes sense).
I am seeing Swedes in Stockholm and Malmo who are coughing up a lung at times and yet they and/or the kids of such people are at school and daycares almost like usual. In some cases, the parents of such daycare children are even playing around with how the children get dropped off .... like switching who does drop off (and maybe also pick-up) or otherwise trying to suppress showing symptoms. The bus drivers in these areas have coughing passengers on board ...... most commonly without any masks. Given how Swedish bus drivers are more likely to be living under more densely populated conditions than the average denizens of the same urban counties where they work, it’s rather predictable what contact tracing would show if Sweden allowed for such to be legally done and cared to do it a lot.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:44 am
Suspended

Sweden’s death total for this virus has jumped up by 172 from yesterday’s number; and the total is now at 1937 dead in Sweden. The Swedish death rate (per capita of course) is getting increasingly worse than the US death rate; the gap between the two countries remains but seems to be getting wider than it was before.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 22, 2020 at 7:50 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:23 am

96 dead on the 16th which is the last day that looks final. Just for comparison that would amount to almost 600 dead in Italy or 3,200 in the US. Do check how many are dying there...
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Sure, but the guy who said it is a Professor of Infectious Diseases and is speaking openly. The guy who thinks it's insane is an anonymous salesman on an internetforum.
He must have mail ordered his degree and it should be revoked if he's making those statements publicly. There is no way that a third of the population of Stockholm was infected at the time that statement was made and official data confirms that. Which I also question but is more comparable to the rest of the world.

The problem is that such idiots are being quoted by the media, either because the media needs ad revenue or because the media can't tell that he's full of .....

The Scandinavian culture once again is completely mind boggling, we criticize SAS for being a bad airline and the locals defend it like we're attacking their religion. You criticize the poor handling of a pandemic which seemingly the whole world agrees with and everyone gets defensive about the country and its joke of a government. Did constructing your own opinion aligned with your interests even come across as a consideration?

This is probably the only moment in time over 50 years where Sweden could have made long overdue radical improvements to its social and taxation system in the interest of those who actually contribute to its society had it leveraged the pandemic accordingly. A group that should encompass everyone posting on this forum.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Apr 22, 2020 at 8:39 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
He must have mail ordered his degree and it should be revoked if he's making those statements publicly. There is no way that a third of the population of Stockholm was infected at the time that statement was made and official data confirms that. Which I also question but is more comparable to the rest of the world.

The problem is that such idiots are being quoted by the media, either because the media needs ad revenue or because the media can't tell that he's full of .....

The Scandinavian culture once again is completely mind boggling, we criticize SAS for being a bad airline and the locals defend it like we're attacking their religion. You criticize the poor handling of a pandemic which seemingly the whole world agrees with and everyone gets defensive about the country and its joke of a government. Did constructing your own opinion aligned with your interests even come across as a consideration?

This is probably the only moment in time over 50 years where Sweden could have made long overdue radical improvements to its social and taxation system in the interest of those who actually contribute to its society had it leveraged the pandemic accordingly. A group that should encompass everyone posting on this forum.
Totally agree with you.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:55 am
Suspended

I know a quick way to increased social distancing in Sweden: not keeping quiet and taking aim at the sacred cows that make up the basis for the sense of Swedish exceptionalism. In this case, questioning the approach Sweden is taking with this virus.

Maybe we should run a controlled experiment in Sweden and see if putting up anti-Tegnell posters is socially riskier business than putting up pro-Tegnell posters.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
96 dead on the 16th which is the last day that looks final. Just for comparison that would amount to almost 600 dead in Italy or 3,200 in the US. Do check how many are dying there...
On the 16th in the US 2176 fatalities and in Italy 525.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn’t be so sure that the most health conscious people around Sweden are blood donors. I also wouldn’t be so sure that blood donors in Sweden are more likely to more comprehensively engage in social distancing than others in the same socio-economic and age cohort as a blood donor.
I'm not sure. That's why I wrote "my personal guess is."

I hope I'm just too pessimistic but I do see the much lower numbers from abroad such as Los Angeles and wonder why Stockholm would be so much higher? If anything I would think we're somewhat behind the metropolises for the same reason Malmö or Umeå are behind Stockholm.
It's not that simple. There are lots of factors that matter, such as when the infection started to spread, and how early in the pandemic people start taking precautions. Temperature could also possibly play a role. Normally, most coronaviruses thrive in a cold enviroment, but they can't stand hot summer weather. I suspect that Los Angeles was a bit warmer than Stockholm in March.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I have no problem with criticism. In fact, I'm usually very critical of the Swedish government. But in this case, in my honest opinion, the Swedish government has actually done better than any other European government.

And, no, the whole world doesn't agree that the pandemic has been handled bad in Sweden. Although most politicians have chosen a far tougher stance, many epidemologists have taken the same view as the epidemologists of Sweden.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:34 pm
Suspended

The coronavirus spread in India took off big time at the time of year when too much of India is already very warm to hot. Maybe India failed to count deaths in January and February for this virus, but the counted deaths from this in India are hitting hot places hardest and been rising even as India’s heat had been getting worse and worse. [Cold places in India tend to be less densely populated than the rest of the country and way less populated than the rest of India; but they also tend to border China.

Tegnell’s colleague Carnahan was telling SR on Friday that the number of Swedish virus deaths reported from elderly care homes was “probably an underestimate” since regional entities were reporting that many elderly who died had not and were not being tested.

Well, at least SEB seems to think that the bank card charges in Sweden is holding up way better in Sweden than in Denmark and in Norway. Something on the order of a 30% decline in Sweden while Denmark and Norway were closer to 60% decline. Not sure if that card charge comparison was based on transaction value or number of transactions.

The housing market is getting very interesting in Sweden. Those fritid garden house places and boat places of various sorts seem to be seeing a drop in prices already. Undeveloped land zoned for residential areas also seems to be seeing declines already in parts. New construction under work seems to be sitting longer or coming back on the market at lower prices than the initial contract prices. I am waiting to see what happens to hotel property prices in the main Swedish cities.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:49 am
Original Poster

The coronavirus spread in India took off big time at the time of year when too much of India is already very warm to hot. Maybe India failed to count deaths in January and February for this virus, but the counted deaths from this in India are hitting hot places hardest and been rising even as India’s heat had been getting worse and worse. [Cold places in India tend to be less densely populated than the rest of the country and way less populated than the rest of India; but they also tend to border China.
I wouldn't put too much value in this information. Most of India is quite poor, without what Westerners would call basic sanitary facilities, and with extremely densely populated cities. It's hard to beat the virus under those circumstances. And the border with China doesn't matter much, as we're talking about the Himalayas. I suspect that the land border crossings between those countries are very minimal. Also, I don't think the virus has been widespread in Tibet.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:56 am
Original Poster

So, I posted a graph last week showing the number of dead per day per million for the first 13 weeks (91 days) of the past six years. We now have access to reliable information up to 8 April, so now I've updated the graph.

What I've called week 14 (2-8 April), indeed has a peak compared to the other years, with 33.3 dead. The second highest number for this period was week 8 in 2015, with 31.5. So, there is an increase, but I think we're still far away from calling it a horror movie, as some people have claimed.

The total figures for the first 14 weeks (98 days) of the year are:
2015 24.7
2016 24.4
2017 24.5
2018 24.7
2019 24.2
2020 24.3

Old Apr 23, 2020, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
So, I posted a graph last week showing the number of dead per day per million for the first 13 weeks (91 days) of the past six years.
You should compare just Stockholm. That is more interesting because there's were it's happening.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:15 am
Suspended

You should compare just Stockholm. That is more interesting because there's were it's happening.
That tells a more dramatic story. It looks increasingly likely that Tegnell and company is going to have deal with the situation of Skane and the west coast of Sweden being far behind Stockholm on exposure to this virus. Given the likelihood of a lot of Swedes' summer travel plans being way more concentrated in Sweden than in prior years (unless the government comes in with some different restrictions), there may be a lot more summer spread across Sweden happening as a courtesy of all those popular family places that bring people from across Sweden together with the Stockholm crowd. And then by the second half of August, the temperatures start being much cooler in the evenings and the new school year may act as a bigger launch event for this virus along the Oresundstag routes' cities/towns.

Let's see how Denmark ends up dealing with Sweden. Sweden: a country where the children of Covid-19 cases are expected to continue to attend school unless the child shows symptoms; a country where parents who hold their kids home due to the virus risk getting threatened with notices from the authorities for "excessive" school absences even when giving the school prior notification of the absences and reason for absences.

The Oresundstag train frequency across the bridge between Denmark and Sweden is down to once per hour (in each direction) for most of the day and only two per hour during rush hour. Let's see when it gets back to at least two per hour for most all of the hours of the day and more than twice an hour during rush hour. But even that will be a shadow service of it former self in the beginning of March.

Originally Posted by RedChili
I wouldn't put too much value in this information. Most of India is quite poor, without what Westerners would call basic sanitary facilities, and with extremely densely populated cities. It's hard to beat the virus under those circumstances. And the border with China doesn't matter much, as we're talking about the Himalayas. I suspect that the land border crossings between those countries are very minimal. Also, I don't think the virus has been widespread in Tibet.
So you wouldn't place much value with the fact that the coronavirus spread in India has been rising most during the time of year when much of India is already very warm to hot? So you wouldn't place much value with the fact that the counted deaths from this in India are hitting India hardest where it's very warm to hot? So you wouldn't place much value with the fact that the heat in India has gotten worse in April than it was in March and worse in March than in February? So you wouldn't place much value with the fact that India's cold places tend to be less densely populated than the rest of India and are less populated than India as a whole? With all due respect, a line like "I wouldn't put too much value in this information" in context of my posting facts seems like you may not place much value in information.

I have lived in India, met most of its Prime Ministers in the course of my lifetime, fully understand more than one Indian language, have spent time along India's northern mountainous borders, and been to the slums in India's big cities which are hot at this time of the year. I know its challenges. But it doesn't change the fact that India's death counts from this virus are hitting it hardest where it's been warm to hot and temperatures have been rising along with the Indian case and death counts from this virus. Problematic access to and use of basic sanitation facilities is a massive problem along with massive density, but that doesn't change the fact that India's facing spread of this virus where temperatures have been warm to hot and the cases and deaths are rising even with temperatures in most of those areas being hotter than the average Stockholm summer day.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 23, 2020 at 3:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.