Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:02 pm

Just had contact with National through Twitter.
They added my Emerald # to my reservation. My reservation now tells me i qualify for Emerald checkout service so i think i will be fine. I
Auto Enthusiast and zagoreos like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:17 pm

I just completed two 7 day rentals through Enterprise, in SJD. I was unable to add my Emerald Club # during the reservation booking, which was made through the enterprise.com website. Will they retroactively credit the days to my account? Would be really helpful, considering it's 14 days of rental.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:26 am

I'm planning a 2 week rental, starting from SFO ending in LAX, with total route SFO - Yosemite - Vegas - Grand Canyon - Antelop Canyon - Vegas - LAX.

Currently Executive Elite member, not a US resident, just touring US in October month.

Q1: Would it be possible to switch cars between cities (and if there are any limit?). FAQ mentioned you can switch car, but not sure about a One-way rental

Q2: Would partner rewards better off as the rental credit only allow rental in the US as I'm only visiting US?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Hide
I'm planning a 2 week rental, starting from SFO ending in LAX, with total route SFO - Yosemite - Vegas - Grand Canyon - Antelop Canyon - Vegas - LAX.

Currently Executive Elite member, not a US resident, just touring US in October month.

Q1: Would it be possible to switch cars between cities (and if there are any limit?). FAQ mentioned you can switch car, but not sure about a One-way rental

Q2: Would partner rewards better off as the rental credit only allow rental in the US as I'm only visiting US?
National is generally pretty lenient about switching cars, but it might be more difficult if you're trying it at those popular summer locations. I would not try to switch cars on each leg of your journey.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:16 pm

Anybody know how to get the app to show up locations in San Francisco? Typing it in simply doesn't work.
Nevermind, all of a sudden it works now

Last edited by s0ssos; Jan 9, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:15 am

Blah Blah Blah

Last edited by pmcd95; Feb 4, 2024 at 1:15 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pmcd95
I booked 4 days in SAN in a few weeks and booked with two reservations so I could use on free night cert and one onetwofree coupon. First day with the free day I booked a convertible, second leg I booked just EA aisle.

Are they going to let me merge the reservations and leave with a convertible? Obviously if there is one in the EA aisle I will grab it. I'm EE.

Not sure about merging, you might need to physically return the convertible but just tell them you have another reservation and want to keep the same car. They will close out the first rental and then start the second rental and assign you the same car. Depending on the type of convert they prob won’t care that the second reservation is just EA rez.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I've never seen a convertible in the SAN EA aisle , only the luxury selections ... I have seen a few mid-range convertibles over at Enterprise ... National EA aisle did have a mini cooper on Monday night, that was unusual
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I have an upcoming trip to Japan in September for 4 weeks. To save cost from parking at LAX, I'm going to park closer to home at ONT and use free days at National to get to/from LAX since they usually expire before I use them anyway. This will save me ~$150.

My question is, I made the way there work, but on the way back I only need a rental for the drive from LAX to ONT, so anywhere from 2 to 5 hours depending on traffic, but if I choose to pick up at LAX at noon and drop off at 3pm at ONT and choose 1 reward day, the website gives me an error saying that I've chosen more reward days than rental days.

The earliest I can book to make it work is 4am the next day. If I were to book for that time ($10 for the rental out the door) but return it the same day I rented it at ONT, would I be charged for an early return? Unfortunately, I will likely have to fly back out Sunday for work, so returning it Monday wouldn't be possible.

EDIT: I was able to get it taken care of by doing the reservation over the phone, so I'm good to go with a 5 hour rental to drive from LAX to ONT using a free reward day.

Last edited by seigex; Feb 15, 2020 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:18 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by seigex
I have an upcoming trip to Japan in September for 4 weeks. To save cost from parking at LAX, I'm going to park closer to home at ONT and use free days at National to get to/from LAX since they usually expire before I use them anyway. This will save me ~$150.

My question is, I made the way there work, but on the way back I only need a rental for the drive from LAX to ONT, so anywhere from 2 to 5 hours depending on traffic, but if I choose to pick up at LAX at noon and drop off at 3pm at ONT and choose 1 reward day, the website gives me an error saying that I've chosen more reward days than rental days.

The earliest I can book to make it work is 4am the next day. If I were to book for that time ($10 for the rental out the door) but return it the same day I rented it at ONT, would I be charged for an early return? Unfortunately, I will likely have to fly back out Sunday for work, so returning it Monday wouldn't be possible.

EDIT: I was able to get it taken care of by doing the reservation over the phone, so I'm good to go with a 5 hour rental to drive from LAX to ONT using a free reward day.
Glad you got it resolved. The answer to your earlier question is that rentals are typically priced as a 24-hour day so you have until the following day at the same time to return it regardless of the return time on your reservation. The converse is also true in that you can return earlier without a penalty. Whether it's an award or a cash rental, you'll pay for one day either day.
seigex likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Glad you got it resolved. The answer to your earlier question is that rentals are typically priced as a 24-hour day so you have until the following day at the same time to return it regardless of the return time on your reservation. The converse is also true in that you can return earlier without a penalty. Whether it's an award or a cash rental, you'll pay for one day either day.
Good to know for the future, thanks AutoSlash !
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by seigex

It's not a good idea to make a reservation for 3 hours. You're paying a full day rate at that point, so you should book for 24 hours so you have flexibility in case of any delays.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:44 pm

Question about price change

Does national ever raise the price of rental after youve made a reservation?
I reserved a car for 530 including taxes, fees, insurance and fuel. then a week later i check my confirmation the price is 700. I have the initial confirmation emailing stating the total as $530.
I have not taken the car out yet or made any changes to the reservation. I called them and they said the site manager should be able to change the price back to the original one. Anyone else had this experience?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:03 pm

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross as mid-suze SUV IFAR?

At YYZ booked Alamo with IFAR, mid-sized SUV. I am only given a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. Is that a mid-sized SUV? Doesn't seem like a Rav4 to me.
Anybody here have experience with that vehicle?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: emerald
Originally Posted by s0ssos
At YYZ booked Alamo with IFAR, mid-sized SUV. I am only given a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. Is that a mid-sized SUV? Doesn't seem like a Rav4 to me.
Anybody here have experience with that vehicle?
This is definitely smaller vehicle than the RAV4. Smaller 1.5 lt. engine, shorter by almost 10 inches so boot space is nowhere near the RAV4.
I would classify this to the small SUV category.
On the other hand, Canadians classify rentals their own way. Fopr example the Canadian Alamo web site has a Ford Escape as the norm fot this class. The Escape is somewhere between the RAV 4 and the Eclipse in size, so they could stick with their decision. The Eclipse is not a bad car, just smaller thet the RAV4. What trim are they giving you?
Let us know what happened in the end.

Last edited by zagoreos; Feb 20, 2020 at 10:57 pm Reason: additional details

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.