Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at CMH (Columbus, OH)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sts603
I took the Charger but will be complaining to National and will likely just tell AMEX not to pay the bill on the rental since I wasn't given what I was confirmed in writing (ES service).
Wow, really? I dislike the CMH location as much as the next guy (see above posts), but this is absurd.

Do you regularly initiate chargebacks at businesses where you don't get exactly what you want? Honestly curious. There are plenty of times I'm not thrilled with the service I get at any number of businesses, but I've never told my bank to refuse to pay. If you didn't like the service you received (but received a service nonetheless) then write the manager and use a competitor the next time.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
I threatened a chargeback once due to an unresolved billing issue. Went all the way to the VP of my Group for my state. Upon speaking with him they resolved the issue enough so I didn't pursue the chargeback. He also advised me when they receive chargebacks they consider it a non-payment of the rental and you are put on the DNR list. Imo that's a huge price to pay for not receiving your promised Executive Selection service.

Also what would you do if you got there and the EA/ES aisles were completely empty? Do a chargeback if they gave you a vehicle from a different row, or in your reserved class? This happened to me before. Got to MSP at 5:00 AM and all they had on the aisle was minivans or a beat up Nissan Versa at the end of the Alamo aisle. They told me take my pick as the car porters don't come in until just before 7:00 AM. My reserved class was full size. I left in the Versa and just came back and exchanged for a Maxima later in the day.

My suggestion is you'd most likely be better off to send a complaint to the social media department at National or to the Emerald Club. Ask for a free day posted to your Emerald account for the inconvenience. Most likely they'll give it to you to appease you.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Haha! You want to do a chargeback because you couldn't pick your own car? That might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. The issues with one-ways from this (and other franchised locations) is well known and documented. I think it is a shame that National doesn't control it's franchises better, but I don't think you have any right to initiate a chargeback.
I made a reservation that said Executive Selection it. No other caveats were provided. And I have no responsibility as a consumer to read FT. I was not provided the service I had a written confirmation for. I could have driven out in a BMW but I was still denied the service I was promised. There were no other suitable options from competitors (I walked to every counter). I will complain to National. They are welcome to suggest that Executive Selection was only x% of the total charge. But unless x is large, then they are getting a chargeback because I didn't get what I paid for. Its not a foreign concept. Not sure why all of you let companies run over you.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hughc99
Wow, really? I dislike the CMH location as much as the next guy (see above posts), but this is absurd.

Do you regularly initiate chargebacks at businesses where you don't get exactly what you want? Honestly curious. There are plenty of times I'm not thrilled with the service I get at any number of businesses, but I've never told my bank to refuse to pay. If you didn't like the service you received (but received a service nonetheless) then write the manager and use a competitor the next time.
If I don't receive the service that I was promised in writing and can't easily reach a reasonable outcome with the vendor, then yes - a chargeback is the next easiest solution. Not sure why this is a foreign concept around here.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would consider it more of an annoyance not to be able to choose from ES/EA. If you are so determined, maybe you should file the chargeback and see if your credit card issuer takes your side. I have a feeling that they may not since you accepted a vehicle, used it for the full time intended, and then returned it.

Just don't say you weren't warned if you wind up on Enterprise, Alamo, National do not rent list if you win your chargeback.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:24 pm

If, as a result of this, National decides to block one-ways at franchises, would that be a better outcome?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
If, as a result of this, National decides to block one-ways at franchises, would that be a better outcome?
A proper outcome would be to get rid of franchises. Sorry, its cheaper to do things directly. But in the alternative, why not print confirmations that actually disclose this? If I recieved such a notice when booking and ES wasn't listed on my confirmation, frankly, I probably would have proceeded with the rental. But it wasn't, and therefore I was not given what I was entitled to.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:34 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
You know that Executive Selection just means you're guaranteed a Full Size or better on a midsize reservation, right? And you got a full size Charger, per your own admission. Not sure what basis there is to complain, given that you weren't actually "entitled" (ES or not) to anything else but the car you in fact drove off the lot.

Where were you one-waying the car to? Pass any National locations along the way? Did you change out the car? If not, why not? Because if the Charger was that offensive to you, you could have swapped out at any other corporate location for something else. You chose not to. Now, you are looking to avoid paying a merchant even though you received the vehicle you bargained for, and did not even "mitigate your damages," so to speak.

It's hard to tell if at this point you are just posting for the sake of being negative or because you genuinely want a resolution. I'm guessing the former, because we have already explained to you multiple times why this is not worth pursuing. Maybe worth asking for a free day or a small voucher for the inconvenience, but that's even pushing the bounds of reasonable. Of course, if it bothers you that much, go see how you do with the other agencies, because in all likelihood you will be placed on the EAN DNR list should you follow through with your statements. That's the beauty of a free market; there are a dozen other rental companies eager to get you in their car. Maybe you'll have an awesome experience elsewhere, and you can come back and tell all of us about it.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:55 am

If I don't receive the service that I was promised in writing and can't easily reach a reasonable outcome with the vendor, then yes - a chargeback is the next easiest solution. Not sure why this is a foreign concept around here.
Obviously "reasonable" is open to interpretation, but it seems perfectly reasonable that they gave you a Charger, the type of car that could have easily been on the ES anyway.

You could have walked away and taken your business elsewhere. You didn't. For that reason it actually seems unreasonable of you to take their car and then refuse to pay after the fact.

It's not a foreign concept, it's a matter of being inappropriate given the situation.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dwbf11
You know that Executive Selection just means you're guaranteed a Full Size or better on a midsize reservation, right? And you got a full size Charger, per your own admission. Not sure what basis there is to complain, given that you weren't actually "entitled" (ES or not) to anything else but the car you in fact drove off the lot.

Where were you one-waying the car to? Pass any National locations along the way? Did you change out the car? If not, why not? Because if the Charger was that offensive to you, you could have swapped out at any other corporate location for something else. You chose not to. Now, you are looking to avoid paying a merchant even though you received the vehicle you bargained for, and did not even "mitigate your damages," so to speak.

It's hard to tell if at this point you are just posting for the sake of being negative or because you genuinely want a resolution. I'm guessing the former, because we have already explained to you multiple times why this is not worth pursuing. Maybe worth asking for a free day or a small voucher for the inconvenience, but that's even pushing the bounds of reasonable. Of course, if it bothers you that much, go see how you do with the other agencies, because in all likelihood you will be placed on the EAN DNR list should you follow through with your statements. That's the beauty of a free market; there are a dozen other rental companies eager to get you in their car. Maybe you'll have an awesome experience elsewhere, and you can come back and tell all of us about it.
I am entitled to Executive Selection service when it is provided on the confirmation. That means I am entitled to any car in the Executive Selection. The location was not able to get me into the car I wanted (or an equivalent), an SUV. The car I drove was irrelevant. What is relevant is what was on my confirmation (Executive Selection) and what I was given (refusal to select from ES and refusal to provide me an equivalent car to what I could have received if I used ES). Its as simple as that.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:36 pm

If you wanted/needed an SUV you should've reserved that type of vehicle then. There is no guarantee that ES would've had an SUV or BMW that you mentioned earlier anyways. The only guarantee on ES is that it will have Full Size or larger vehicles.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:56 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by dwbf11

Originally Posted by Tony King
If you wanted/needed an SUV you should've reserved that type of vehicle then. There is no guarantee that ES would've had an SUV or BMW that you mentioned earlier anyways. The only guarantee on ES is that it will have Full Size or larger vehicles.
IMO reserving a car category entitles you to that category (which Charger is a proper fullsize) anything in ES is just a bonus. This location is not known for putting good upgrades on EA/ES anyways.

This rental being a one way adds to the complication. There has been reports from other locations that one ways aren't usually allowed full choice anyways.

I really don't think the OP has much grounds for a serious complaint.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tony King
No, there isn't. But ES has a large selection of vehicles including cars better than a full size probably 95% of the time. Thats why I rent from National. I roll the dice. And 95% of the time it pans out. If the location can't give me ES service due to a one way, so be it, just say so up front to give me the opportunity to consider my options.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Customer Serivce just responded with an offer of two free day coupons. Given that the rental was three days (and I'm happy to pay something for the car I did take), and the cost of this rental was less than that of those I generally use free day coupons for, I accepted this as compensation.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:02 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

No, there isn't. But ES has a large selection of vehicles including cars better than a full size probably 95% of the time. Thats why I rent from National. I roll the dice. And 95% of the time it pans out. If the location can't give me ES service due to a one way, so be it, just say so up front to give me the opportunity to consider my options.
Yes generally ES will have something better than FullSize but not at this location - ES is likely a Malibu.

National should add a disclaimer that one way rentals may be limited in their choice of vehicles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.