Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at CMH (Columbus, OH)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: United- 1K, National-ExSelect, Hilton- Dia, Marriott- PlatPrem, Hyatt - Diamond
Update on National Executive Select from the past few weeks.

I wrote an email to National expressing my concern for the Executive (Lack of) Selection lot. I was emailed back with an apology and an offer to deposit a free day to my account. They also mentioned that they would forward my complaint to the owner of the National here at CMH.

The past 3 weeks here is what I got
1) Chevy Equinox (all malibus and impalas, the Equinox had just been delivered to the lot and was the only one)
2) Pontiac Vibe (had 30,000 miles, was dirty, but it was a change from the Malibus and Impalas on the lot)
3) Chevy Equinox (They also had more Vibes, Malibus, 1 HHR, and Impalas)

At one point I Had a discussion with the gatekeeper RE: Lack of cars, and he just rolled his eyes and mentioned that "The Malibus werent good enough for me". Still unclear about what I am going to do, as I will be spending the next 2 years in CMH every week.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:22 pm

I've had similar experiences in CMH with the lack of choices, but the staff have generally been nice. They are definitely a 'run of the mill' National location with regard to selection. I'll be there again this week and I generally just hope for something in EA that's different.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AC 100k, SPG Platinum, Avis PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by rkmontoya
Update on National Executive Select from the past few weeks.

I wrote an email to National expressing my concern for the Executive (Lack of) Selection lot. I was emailed back with an apology and an offer to deposit a free day to my account. They also mentioned that they would forward my complaint to the owner of the National here at CMH.

The past 3 weeks here is what I got
1) Chevy Equinox (all malibus and impalas, the Equinox had just been delivered to the lot and was the only one)
2) Pontiac Vibe (had 30,000 miles, was dirty, but it was a change from the Malibus and Impalas on the lot)
3) Chevy Equinox (They also had more Vibes, Malibus, 1 HHR, and Impalas)

At one point I Had a discussion with the gatekeeper RE: Lack of cars, and he just rolled his eyes and mentioned that "The Malibus werent good enough for me". Still unclear about what I am going to do, as I will be spending the next 2 years in CMH every week.
Go to Avis or Hertz for most of your rentals and just rent enough from National to maintain Exec or Exec Elite (though I see no reason for EE over E).

I'm in CMH 2-3 weeks a month and rent mostly from Avis (PC member) and get great upgrades from them. At National it's almost always Malibus and Impalas, though the odd time I've had a G6 coupe which is a nice change.

It's a very average location.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: United- 1K, National-ExSelect, Hilton- Dia, Marriott- PlatPrem, Hyatt - Diamond
Had a pretty horrible experience last week at National, and have since switched to Hertz. I will post the email I wrote, and also their response.

"I have been a very loyal National Rental Car customer since 2007. My major draw to National was that their selection of cars was superior to many other rental companies, and that I was allowed, as an Executive Selection member to pick my own car. I have had the luxury of renting cars from the Toledo, OH, Sacramento, CA (every week for two months), Detroit, MI (every week for 2.5 years), Chicago, IL (every week for 6 months), Albuquerque, NM, and a few other airports. I have always experienced incredible customer service, and amazing cars. I have always been shown appreciation from National employees.

All of my excitement has come to a screeching halt in the past 5 weeks. I was recently staffed on a project in Columbus, OH, and have not only faced an extreme lack of consideration for National employees, a sub-par selection of vehicles on the Executive Selection lot, but last night, I received the worst customer service that I have received from any company in the last 4 years.

Three or four weeks ago, I wrote an email to you guys regarding the lack of cars to select from at the CMH airport. You all apologized for the situation and promised to forward on the email to the Manager at the CMH location. I elected to wait it out a few weeks and see if things have changed. Not surprisingly, nothing changed. Same cars, different day. Two out of the last three weeks, I have had cars with 29,000 miles!

Yesterday, I show up to the Emerald Selection lot, only to see the same cars. I see an employee showing other customers which cars to choose from, and I asked him if it was possible for me to select a car that was not on the Executive Select lot, since their was obviously a surplus of every other car on the lot. My response from the National employee was “You’re just going to have to deal with the cars that we have here.” I mention to the Gentleman that every other National lot that I have rented from have been more than willing to accommodate me with any other car, as long as they were not planned on selling out that week. The man rolled his eyes, and walked away from me.

I contemplated going to Hertz, and just renting a car with them, but it was 10:30 PM, and I did not feel like dealing with not having a reservation that late at night. I proceeded to the checkout booth. I told the man at the check out booth (different man from before), that their was no Green Sleeve in the car. He looked at me and said it wasn’t required. I told him that I am always asked for it, so I just assumed I needed it. He said “If it will make you feel better I will give you one.” I stayed silent, and let him process the car. He proceeded with the car, and eventually realized he did need to put all of the information on the green sleeve. I asked him if he had a card, or a phone number for a manager at the lot, and he just replied with, “No. I don’t.” He completed checking out the car, and gave me all of my paperwork. His last statement was, “All set with the pretty green sleeve that your requested. Have a good night.”

Working in customer service for most of my life, I know that service like this is completely unacceptable. I was appalled that the only two employees on duty that night both had the same attitude. I am done with National Rental Car (at least until this project is done in 2012).

Just to give you an idea of how much that I spend on rental cars, I get a rental car for 5 days, every single week. I spend about $200 weekly. I will be on this project until 02/2012, which equates to about $13,000 based on 65 weeks. Not to mention I have a 16 person team here in Columbus that I am responsible for arranging travel for.

Starting next Monday, I will be utilizing Hertz as my provider here in Columbus. I just need to assure that this issue is known. I am a very loyal consumer of every brand that I am able to stay at, however, when something like this occurs, I lose all credit I have given to the brand. "

Reply from National:
"Thanks for your email and bring this matter to our attention. Customer Service is definitely a huge part to our success.

It is never our intention to disappoint a valued customer, as we are dedicated to becoming the car rental company of choice. In an effort to restore your faith in National, I added two free day coupons for your use on a future rental.

It is our hope that you won't judge us too harshly due to this isolated incident. Thank you for your email. National Car Rental is committed to providing our customers with a clean, fully-fueled, fully-equipped and well-maintained vehicle. Please be assured the poor condition of the vehicle you received will be documented and brought to the attention of the General Manager of our Columbus Airport location for immediate review and follow-up with their staff.

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you, and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention."

Outside of offering me two free days, it was obviously a cookie cutter response....
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
Just returned an overnight rental to CMH this morning. When I arrived yesterday morning, I couldn't seem to find the EA/ES (later realized it was because it was completely empty - and as I was leaving there was a crew installed new EA signage). I walked over to a row of 8-10 Chevy Traverses, but all were locked. Waaaaay down in the compact section were a handful of Cobalt coupes. There was also a row of 5-6 cars, but the row was marked for cars being returned to a different location.

A Malibu and Impala had just arrived from the wash and not even parked inside the gate, but had been claimed minutes before I arrived.

I asked the gate person if I am supposed to take a Traverse since I have an EC reservation. She asked if I had reserved a SUV. I told her I hadn't; she replied that those were held for people specifically reserving SUV's. Then she turned and walked away to do something else.

I went back downstairs, waited my turn in the line at the counter, and then informed the agent I had a reservation but didn't see any available cars upstairs. I asked if I was to take one of the one-way rentals. He said no, that I was supposed to get a car from the EA. I told him there weren't any. He apologized and said they've had problems with the car wash all morning so I might have to wait.

Luckily when I went back upstairs there was one dripping-wet car parked in the EA with someone still filling out the green card. I asked if I could take it - a Chevy Equinox - and did. I ended up getting pretty lucky; only 210 miles, leather, moonroof, sat radio.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Outside of offering me two free days, it was obviously a cookie cutter response....
CMH is a franchise location, so in reality Corporate's ability to address this is somewhat limited. Though their service is lousy, the CMH licensee is technically meeting the requirements of the program by giving you a 29,000 mile Malibu.

The National licensee at CMH is a company called Midwest Car Corporation; they're fairly large, and are the licensees at MKE as well. You might try contacting their corporate offices; Hoover's has info here:

http://www.hoovers.com/company/Midwe...yrchfft-1.html

That being said, the Hertz folks at CMH are quite nice, if my single datapoint is any indication.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:17 pm

CMH has improved recently as they've added a number of Equinoxes to the Executive selection (don't think I've seen them in the EA).

My rental this week is an Equinox with Leather, Bluetooth, Auto Climate Control - all with only 2200 miles on it.

Things are getting slightly better.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:03 pm

Sadly the report from October seems to have been an isolated incident. This is my second (Sunday night) rental this month; both days the ES has been 100% Impalas, and the EA has been 100% Malibus.

Disappointing, to say the least. I wonder what they think the "selection" in "Executive Selection" is referring to -- color?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:07 pm

Disappointing, to say the least. I wonder what they think the "selection" in "Executive Selection" is referring to -- color?
My thoughts exactly. Had a fancy Silver Impala the last few days. (Not to mention that it took 34 minutes to get out of the lot at 12:30 am on a Sunday night/Monday morning in 18 degree weather... Oh.. and my car and snow and ice on it..)

Id they didnt have 1-2 free, id be gone for good.

Lucky for me, I am in Chicago this week in a brand new GMC Terrain....

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dtremit
I wonder what they think the "selection" in "Executive Selection" is referring to -- color?
That's an Emerald Aisle complaint that goes back more than two decades. What color Cutlass Ciera / Grand Am / Buick Century... substitute the generic car of that year.

Malibu on Emerald Aisle isn't bad - considering that they're designating 4-cylinder Buick Regals as the Premium archetype.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's an Emerald Aisle complaint that goes back more than two decades. What color Cutlass Ciera / Grand Am / Buick Century... substitute the generic car of that year.
Perhaps true, but I honestly haven't seen an ES with *no* selection in years.

Were it not for 1-2-Free, I'd be at Hertz this month -- have had good experiences with the CMH location.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
My thoughts exactly. Had a fancy Silver Impala the last few days. (Not to mention that it took 34 minutes to get out of the lot at 12:30 am on a Sunday night/Monday morning in 18 degree weather... Oh.. and my car and snow and ice on it..)

Id they didnt have 1-2 free, id be gone for good.

Lucky for me, I am in Chicago this week in a brand new GMC Terrain....
Isn't the CMH location in the parking garage next to the terminal? They would've had to bring that Impala from a remote location if it had snow and ice on it.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:56 am

There was also a row of 5-6 cars, but the row was marked for cars being returned to a different location....I asked if I was to take one of the one-way rentals. He said no, that I was supposed to get a car from the EA....CMH is a franchise location, so in reality Corporate's ability to address this is somewhat limited.

It sounds like this licensee does enough one-ways to and from corporate stores that they did something clever: Separate the corporate-owned cars in a special aisle for quick and easy identification and turnaround. By restricting outbound one-ways to corporate cars that came one-way inbound, the licensee doesn't have to deal with the problems involved with one-ways of cars they specifically own.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:46 pm

Yes back to Malibus and Impalas it seems as the Equinoxes from last fall seem to have been drastically reduced or disappeared.

At least there were some Malibu LTZ's, though mine had 15000 miles on it.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Rented here this weekend, Cruzes and 20k mileage Impala's as far as the eye could see. I'm going to be contacting corporate as it seems this location hasn't gotten enough flack from them. This is the worst National lot I've ever been to. I mentioned something to the booth attendent, asking if the ES/EA was a joke (very seriously said), she thought THAT was a joke and laughed and didn't acknowledge the fact that their selection was horrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.