Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at CMH (Columbus, OH)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mroseman13
The CMH National is a franchise owned by a Chevy dealership, hence all the terrible cars. There were quite a few nicer (non-Chevy) cars, but they are only for one-way rentals out of CMH.
This is true. Don't have high expectations, certainly for a CMH return, but also if it's a one-way as you're subject to the vagaries of what other one-wayers have dropped off.

However, I rent here all the time, mostly one-way, and am treated like royalty by the excellent station manager.

It's a nuanced location to say the least.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:01 am

On Wednesday night at 11PM, there was an Escalade on the one-way aisle. They wouldn't let me take it though said they were "holding it for somebody". Probably the nicest car I've ever seen here! I ended up taking an Altima.

EA/ES same GM dealership.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I've finally got frustrated enough with this place that they get to play by my rules. My corporate code allows for OW and Local rentals to be priced the same; so I always book a OW and still return to CMH. This way I can avoid the Chevy lot on the aisle and possibly get something a little better. Funny enough, this weekend was the first time doing this and I took a Buick Encore; but basically that gets you any of the "one way" cars. Of course it'd require that your corporate code allows for the same price.

Lastly, I've never noticed it (and haven't gone back and looked) but a $6.75 a day facility service charge is highway robbery. It's not even like the rental experience is that good at CMH for any vendor. Even though I've found the above "hack" to get a decent car, I may just go full uber/lyft next time I'm in town to see what the cost is.

Last edited by nevansm; Mar 26, 2017 at 2:54 pm Reason: Rant about facility service charge
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Any per day facility service charge is highway robbery.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:09 pm

What is going on with the rates here? They used to at least kind of try to have competitive rates (especially on weekends). Now it's like they don't even bother.

I just rented from the CMH Avis. For literally a third of the price ($30 per day all-in Avis vs. $90 National) I drove off in a low-mileage Sante Fe, which is not all that special but still better than any of the junk I could have taken from National ES here.

They've lost my business. I'm wondering who is still giving them enough business to charge these kinds of rates?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by hughc99
What is going on with the rates here? They used to at least kind of try to have competitive rates (especially on weekends). Now it's like they don't even bother.

I just rented from the CMH Avis. For literally a third of the price ($30 per day all-in Avis vs. $90 National) I drove off in a low-mileage Sante Fe, which is not all that special but still better than any of the junk I could have taken from National ES here.

They've lost my business. I'm wondering who is still giving them enough business to charge these kinds of rates?
Depending on how many days I need I would probably pay that difference.... Avis is OK but I tend to get high milage cars and the service is iffy at best.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Depending on how many days I need I would probably pay that difference.... Avis is OK but I tend to get high milage cars and the service is iffy at best.
I mean... OK. In general that's probably true of the two brands. But the CMH National has given me Chevy Malibus on a ES reservation with 25k miles and the service is certainly nothing to write home about.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm

Lastly, I've never noticed it (and haven't gone back and looked) but a $6.75 a day facility service charge is highway robbery. It's not even like the rental experience is that good at CMH for any vendor. Even though I've found the above "hack" to get a decent car, I may just go full uber/lyft next time I'm in town to see what the cost is.
Originally Posted by seawolf
Any per day facility service charge is highway robbery.
They've been saving that $6.75 a day for a while, new rental facility is being planned. Better yet, it's being built out behind the McDonald's, so you'll have to take a bus there until 2030 when the new terminal is finished No more waltzing out from the terminal to the garage.

http://radio.wosu.org/post/john-glen...l-car-facility
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nevansm
I've finally got frustrated enough with this place that they get to play by my rules. My corporate code allows for OW and Local rentals to be priced the same; so I always book a OW and still return to CMH. This way I can avoid the Chevy lot on the aisle and possibly get something a little better. Funny enough, this weekend was the first time doing this and I took a Buick Encore; but basically that gets you any of the "one way" cars. Of course it'd require that your corporate code allows for the same price.
Genius, pure genius. I'm doing this from now on!
Old May 3, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Major update... CMH is now a corporate location. No more Midwest Car Corp, no more Chevy Overstock Aisle!! Arrived late tonight and there weren't a ton of vehicles available, but they were very diverse. All kinds of makes and models, SUVs, sedans, crossovers and pickups. This location is no longer one to avoid.

FWIW, an emoloyee told me that all Midwest Car Corp locations outside Wisconskn are now corporate .
Old May 4, 2018, 8:03 am

Were you able to find out why?
Old May 4, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Were you able to find out why?
http://www.franchisetimes.com/news/November-2017/3-National-Alamo-Zees-Get-Termination-Notices-Attorneys-Cry-Foul/
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Any updates on car selection now?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Putnik
Any updates on car selection now?
Eh, first time renting from CMH today, EE member. When I first spoke to the greeter about "something exciting" he said "good luck" (politely at least). Asked the guy for an A/Q3 or Explorer Sport, he said nope. I waited an hour, passing over Hyundai, Kia, base model F150s, minivans, couple QX50s, tons of Nissan Armadas, a few Suburbans and Expeditions. Ended up getting a Durango from the 'locked' aisle behind EA as a compromise offered by the attendant when I saw the EE and EA aisles were emptying out and not being replenished. Plenty of Cadillacs and SUVs in the "locked" aisle. Also seems there is a dedicated row of cars on back wall for other purposes as mentioned in previous posts.

Overall worst selection I've experienced in my ~1 year membership, but I'm picky - if it doesn't have a turbo, I'm not interested.

Last edited by Goofology; Jul 22, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reason: Corrected Excursions to Expeditions
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Hilarious. Good luck with your expectations. Certainly at this location, which is just now finding its way around being a standard National location.

I rent 200+ days a year, have a QX80 with the 5.6L right now, trying to remember what Audi/BMW I have had that may have had a turbo...nothing coming to mind.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Goofology likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.