Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Last time I was there (November) they had a Jaguar XJ in PS for $100/day. I too was on a luxury rental and all they had available was an Audi A3 until I complained about the size, at which point they found me a Cadillac XTS (13k and no XM, but I prefer Pandora).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by kxc262
As others have noted in this forum, make 2 reservations and see if the aisle has minivans (which I suspect it would since most biz travelers don't want them)
Thanks...and I presume that I can just cancel the unwanted reservation on the National app, yes? Is it any problem to have the two reservations down for the same time?

tb
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
You can cancel via the app IF it's before your scheduled pickup time. If it's after, you'll need to call to cancel which, at times, can be time consuming. This is why I normally book the higher desired res and downgrade to ICAR at the booth if I chose from the aisle, though I'm usually on a corp code that's fixed-price with no risk of the walk-up ICAR rate being higher than what I've already booked.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
You can cancel via the app IF it's before your scheduled pickup time. If it's after, you'll need to call to cancel which, at times, can be time consuming. This is why I normally book the higher desired res and downgrade to ICAR at the booth if I chose from the aisle, though I'm usually on a corp code that's fixed-price with no risk of the walk-up ICAR rate being higher than what I've already booked.
This is very helpful. I don't have a corp code, so I'm concerned about rates going through the roof for a walk-up rate. I do have some time to kill: I'm arriving at LAX about 1.5 hours before my wife (assuming no delays!). So I suppose I could book the more expensive rate for about 1 hour later than the ICAR, and then cancel it if not needed?

In a worst case scenario that say, I'm horribly delayed on my inbound so no chance to cancel one before the scheduled pick-up times, will having two cars booked make me liable for both, or just the more expensive one? If it's the latter, I would be willing to risk it.

tb
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:01 am

I wouldn't worry too much about staggering the pickup times or anything like that... just book ~1 hour after your flight lands (1.5 hours if you have a checked bag) and you'll be fine. Even if you have to cancel by phone AFTER your pickup time, we're talking 15 min at the most you might spend on hold, and probably more like 5 min. There's no real risk of being charged as a no show, but it can confuse the booth agent if you drive-out with two reservations, especially if you grab something from the aisle that also matches the class of your higher reservation.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:23 am

Thanks IoM. I'll be coming in on a domestic (but with checked bags). Does it really take 90 minutes to get to the lot?

tb
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:00 am

Not at all, but 90 minutes from your landing time on an international flight will give you time to get your bags, clear customs, and catch the bus with time to spare... no harm in getting to National ahead of your pickup time.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Cars at LAX

Was able to get the only Suburban on ES the evening of 1/8. They had a few Durangos & Sienna minivans, too. Driving out I saw no less than 1/2 dozen Tahoes & Suburbans being staged. Hopefully a good sign more will be available on ES soon.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:44 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JaysonW
Was able to get the only Suburban on ES the evening of 1/8. They had a few Durangos & Sienna minivans, too. Driving out I saw no less than 1/2 dozen Tahoes & Suburbans being staged. Hopefully a good sign more will be available on ES soon.
Today (1/11/15), ES had to have been 6-8 Suburbans and Tahoes, plus at least one BIG Ford--Expedition, maybe? 2 Challengers, minivans and more. Seems like almost every space was full.

I'm new to National, hope to contribute more here...So far, very impressed with National as a whole.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Jan 12, 2015 at 7:30 am
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Today (1/11/14), ES had to have been 6-8 Suburbans and Tahoes, plus at least one BIG Ford--Expedition, maybe? 2 Challengers, minivans and more. Seems like almost every space was full.

I'm new to National, hope to contribute more here...So far, very impressed with National as a whole.
LAX is one of the absolute best stations in regards to EA/ES/ER-sections... don't expect to see this kind of aisle at TUL or any of the other franchise locations Glad your first experiences were good ones, though!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Today (1/11/15), ES had to have been 6-8 Suburbans and Tahoes, plus at least one BIG Ford--Expedition, maybe? 2 Challengers, minivans and more. Seems like almost every space was full.

All new shape? 2015 models?

Heading to LAX jan 23rd. ^ i wanna see what you saw...

And BTW booking Full size at national e.g. Tahoe or similar was around 1700 and change for 8 days,like 4 days ago. just checked today and its 295.00 for 8 days.. could not belive my eyes. so i went ahead a made another reservation for emerald reserve for full size suv... just in case.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:02 pm

I also had one question... about LDW... If LDW is included in rate quote, for ES, so i think LDW will be in effect if i choose cheapest car from ES or the most expensive one from ES... right? OR is it only for mid size, which i reserved to get access to ES.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I too was on a luxury rental and all they had available was an Audi A3 until I complained about the size.
I'm driving one of these now and it is no luxury vehicle. I feel like I'm driving a VW Golf with a 'nicer' interior. No heated seats, no heated mirrors, no smart temperature control (only a knob, just like in a Ford Fiesta), no nav, no auto-dimming rearview mirror.

Frankly, most of the cars on the EA have more features and comfort than the Audi A3.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:55 pm

Glad I passed and took the XTS... well worth the walk all the way down the wall.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I'm driving one of these now and it is no luxury vehicle. I feel like I'm driving a VW Golf with a 'nicer' interior.
Because thats exactly what it is - the Golf and A3 share the same platform, powertrain and electronics.

Getting really concerned with how much National are diluting the Luxury class. Surely nobody paying LCAR rates is happy to receive a small hatchback like an A3?

It's going to become too much of a gamble to pay LCAR prices if there is a high chance you end up with something like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.